EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Primary Level Confusion.....Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 10:30 PM
89FLHTC
Supporter
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Primary Level Confusion.....Revisited

So, My factory service manual states that the primary fluid is suppose to be level with the opening of the clutch inspection opening OR the bottom of the diaphragm spring. There is about a 1" difference between those 2 so, that makes no sense. Then, it states the capacity for my bike is 1 1/2 Quart. I currently have the level to where is just touches the bottom of the clutch spring diaphragm and it wont even hold a quart. These are huge differences. The manual also states that the primary fluid is suppose to lubricate the clutch disc. I wouldnt think there would be much lubrication when the level is at the bottom of the spring. Am I OK with such a small amount of fluid in the primary or am I overthinking this?

Old 05-01-2016, 10:37 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,706 Likes on 6,690 Posts

The fluid level is correct when it at the bottom of the diaphragm spring with the bike level (straight up & down), not on the sidestand.
The 44 oz. spec is for a dry assembled primary chaincase. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Tommy C; 05-01-2016 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:25 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,743 Likes on 928 Posts

My Dyna is the same way... for a primary drain and refill, I am lucky if I get 22 ounces in when the fluid level reaches the diaphragm. That is with the bike standing straight up. I know some oil stays in there after draining.

The clutch can be run dry so as long as the chain in picking up and throwing oil around and some getting on the plates, it should be all good.

Yes, I am puzzled about the level and the amount the manual says I should put in there, (I think it says 28-32 oz) but, my eyes don't lie and the bike shifts just fine. YD

Old 05-02-2016, 05:23 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,247 Likes on 5,408 Posts

Originally Posted by 89FLHTC
am I overthinking this?

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
The clutch can be run dry so as long as the chain in picking up and throwing oil around and some getting on the plates, it should be all good.

It is not that critical...the clutch can be run completely dry...anyone who runs a belt primary runs them dry all the time. The main thing is not to have too much, or the clutch will slip. I have always run 1 quart, never a problem...make sure you lean the bike over when you drain it... so you get all the old out.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:00 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,818 Likes on 3,320 Posts

24 oz did it for me. never any issues......

Old 05-02-2016, 06:03 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Am I overthinking this?
Yes you are.
The only thing that needs lubrication in the primary is the chain.
If the fluid reaches the bottom of the clutch spring then the gears on the clutch hub are throwing that fluid around and turning the inside of your primary into a hurricane of fluid.

As Tom said just throw in a quart and forget it.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:30 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,818 Likes on 1,761 Posts

With the plug out and oil drained, pull the clutch lever in and start it up and hit the throttle a few times, it'll sling a couple ounces out of the clutch.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:04 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Like was said I dump 1 quart in and don't even look. Good thing to do is dump the oil after a long ride....let it drain overnight.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:28 AM
89FLHTC
Supporter
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Ok Thanks! 1/2 quart discrepancy worried me a little. Ive got it the bottom of the spring. After a long ride today, Im going to drain it again into a measuring container to see just how much is in there. If it is close to a quart, I'll be happy.
I see that Harley has revised some of its capacities through the years, even on the older models. Where we use to screw the transmission dip stick all the way in to measure the level, they now want the dipstick resting on top of the threads in order to add another 2 oz.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:36 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Ok Thanks! 1/2 quart discrepancy worried me a little. Ive got it the bottom of the spring. After a long ride today, Im going to drain it again into a measuring container to see just how much is in there. If it is close to a quart, I'll be happy.
I see that Harley has revised some of its capacities through the years, even on the older models. Where we use to screw the transmission dip stick all the way in to measure the level, they now want the dipstick resting on top of the threads in order to add another 2 oz.
Lol. Don't overthink it too much. As long as it's wet...its happy. Too much glue in there I have seen problems finding neutral . But it's no big deal. Your doing it rite. Leave it and go run the crap out of it. Lol

The following users liked this post:
89FLHTC (05-02-2016)

Quick Reply: Primary Level Confusion.....Revisited