EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Adjusting Idle air mix on CV with backing plate installed.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 12:07 AM
Hebrew Battle Rifle
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Adjusting Idle air mix on CV with backing plate installed.

I put bigger jets in my CV because it was danger lean after installing drag pipes in place of the stock exhaust on my 99 Night Train. I drilled the vacuum slider thingy and added the spacer to the needle doojigger and clipped a coil off of the slider return spring.

Install carb and bike runs great. Excellent throttle response and pulls like a freight train. Since I absolutely cannot leave well enough alone, I must find the sweet spot on the idle air mix. BUT, with the stock backing plate ( plate is a misnomer as this is made of some sort of plastic and "plate" usually refers to something more substantial). Without the plate installed there is nothing to hold the carburetor in place other than the friction of the rubber ring gasket.
So, The only way that I see to adjust the idle air mix is to remove the plate, make an adjustment, reinstall the plate, start the motor and see if it runs well on the new setting. That is obnoxiously inefficient and I reject the idea that this is a valid solution.
What am I missing?

As an aside, I did remove the plate, unscrewed the idle air mix 1/6th of a turn "fatter" and buttoned everything up. On my way home I noticed an improvement in throttle response and it "seemed" to pull better. The initial adjustment after making the mods was 2 full turns out from zero.

eta: I have filled the fuel tank 3 times since putting Omega on the road. I am averaging 39.6 MPG.

eta2: When I first purchased this motorcycle, I had to use the enricher to get it to start and run. Once warm I could release the enricher and it would idle as usual. Since I have installed bigger jets (48 Idle and 185 main), I cannot use the enricher at all to start the motor. The new procedure it to twist the throttle about 1/8th of a turn, hit the starter button and it roars to life. I open the enricher about 1/4th and let the motor run for a minute. After that I close the enricher and it idles properly.

Last edited by Hebrew Battle Rifle; 06-26-2016 at 12:18 AM.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:25 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,743 Likes on 928 Posts

Does the backing plate cover the mix screw? Carry a small stubby screwdriver with you till it is dialed in, or get the **** style adjustment screw from CV Performance. YD

Old 06-26-2016, 06:44 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I had this problem too. You have two options. Buy a backing plate just to use for adjustment or do it with nothing attached. I used a stock one and cut the entire bottom off. I ended at 2.5 turns out. eBay has them cheap enough. I tossed my hacked one if I still had it id give it to you. Removing the entire airbox to turn the screw is a pain. They do sell ezjust mixture screws but for something you'll only adjust once it's pricey

The following users liked this post:
Hebrew Battle Rifle (06-26-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 10:56 AM
Hebrew Battle Rifle
Cruiser

Originally Posted by kp877
I had this problem too. You have two options. Buy a backing plate just to use for adjustment or do it with nothing attached. I used a stock one and cut the entire bottom off. I ended at 2.5 turns out. eBay has them cheap enough. I tossed my hacked one if I still had it id give it to you. Removing the entire airbox to turn the screw is a pain. They do sell ezjust mixture screws but for something you'll only adjust once it's pricey
Excellent! Thank you.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:58 AM
Hebrew Battle Rifle
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
Does the backing plate cover the mix screw? Carry a small stubby screwdriver with you till it is dialed in, or get the **** style adjustment screw from CV Performance. YD
With the stock plate attached there is zero access to the mixture screw.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:21 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Never had that problem because the first mod I made to my bike was the SE air cleaner with a K&N element and flat backing plate. I recommend this approach.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:45 AM
tomfiii
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 06-26-2016, 11:48 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,743 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by Hebrew Battle Rifle
With the stock plate attached there is zero access to the mixture screw.
Flat backing plate like on the screamin eagle set ups? Allow the use of the screamin eagle (k&n) filter and your stock round chrome air cleaner cover. Maybe find one on fleabay...

But I do like the idea of cutting up a spare one for tuning purposes. YD

Old 06-07-2017, 01:23 PM
89FL
Intermediate
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I just ordered a Carb support/air cleaner mount hoping it can be used like a tool for just that issue. I'll keep this updated.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:03 PM
timsmcm
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would like to know how it works for you. I am in the process of changing out from butterfly to cv carb and am using a stock backing plate and round air cleaner cover. I like the look of the stock setup much better than other cheesy crap. But there is no way to get to the easy just cv performance idle adjust screw. If it works I will buy a cv carb support bracket.

Quick Reply: Adjusting Idle air mix on CV with backing plate installed.