EVO All Evo Model Discussion

EVO Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 10:28 PM
Tony_N
Road Master
Received 252 Likes on 175 Posts
Default EVO Rebuild

What was supposed to be a simple rebuild to fix a case oil leak has turned into anything but. The original plan was to split the cases,replace the crank bearing, put the bottom end back together and seal the cases,go back with 9.5:1 pistons, an EV27 cam and rework the heads.

When my indy tried taking the pinion nut off, the nut wouldn’t come off with the tool and started rounding the nut and stripping the tool. He had to machine the tool down and weld it onto the pinion nut in order to get the pinion nut off. Once the cases were split he found that it had a shovel head crank instead of an Evo crank although they are the same spec, just a different taper on the pinion shaft. He said there was too much side play in the connecting rods.

My guess is that something came apart in the bottom end and the previous owner slapped it back together just to get it running and get rid of it.

The crank was sent to Darkhorse CrankWorks. Once they took the crank apart, they determined that the inner crank bearing was shot and had to put oversize bushings and pins in the connecting rods. The cases were sent to Darkhorse and they repaired the Timken/Main bearing bore as main bearings were loose in case. Darkhorse also line bored and lapped the cases and put the bottom end back together and sent it back to my indy.

Once Kevin got the bottom end back, the heads were ported and polished, 1.90 intake and 1.610 exhaust valves, cylinders bored .020 over (they were already .010 over), KB forged 9.5:1 pistons, EV27 cam, new S&S lifters, adjustable pushrods since the heads were milled, new S&S breather gear. Daytona Twin Tec ignition and single fire coil.

I just picked it up today and it runs really good. Nice and smooth due to the crank work that Darkhorse did.

Link to initial startup

Last edited by Tony_N; 07-14-2016 at 06:06 AM.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:40 AM
Maxdog2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're brand new! Sounds great.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:13 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

If you had to replace the crank and pistons anyway why didn't you go with a stroker kit while you were there??

Just curious.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:48 AM
Tony_N
Road Master
Received 252 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxdog2
You're brand new! Sounds great.

Thanks Maxdog2

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
If you had to replace the crank and pistons anyway why didn't you go with a stroker kit while you were there??

Just curious.
The crank wasn't replaced, Darkhorse replaced the bearings, bushing and connecting rods and balanced it. Had I known the extent of what was done, I would have gone with the stroker kit. Every time I turned around, it was something else that just kept adding up. Hind sight, I could have gone with a 111 S&S for less than I had in this rebuild.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:53 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Good looking/sound bike!

Originally Posted by Tony_N
Hind sight, I could have gone with a 111 S&S for less than I had in this rebuild.
Ain't that the truth... But I find my 80" bike to be enough for me.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:17 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Thanks Maxdog2

The crank wasn't replaced, Darkhorse replaced the bearings, bushing and connecting rods and balanced it. Had I known the extent of what was done, I would have gone with the stroker kit. Every time I turned around, it was something else that just kept adding up. Hind sight, I could have gone with a 111 S&S for less than I had in this rebuild.
True but with a stroker you can get close to the same power and it still looks like an 80" motor.

Gotta love a sleeper!!!!!!

Old 07-14-2016, 10:06 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

Sweet. Love the all black cylinders

Old 07-14-2016, 10:10 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Had I known the extent of what was done, I would have gone with the stroker kit. Every time I turned around, it was something else that just kept adding up. Hind sight, I could have gone with a 111 S&S for less than I had in this rebuild.
Friend of mine has an $8k dog. Didn't start out that way. Poor pup had some issues that just added up. The vet never says "By the time it's all said and done, you'll be $8k into this thing". Instead, it's a $150 test here, and $200 procedure there, $300 worth of pills, and the next thing you know, you've got an $8k dog.

Your bike turned out great! That thing looks and sounds right. Even if you're into it for more than you bargained for, looks like a winner from here.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:09 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by misfitJason
Sweet. Love the all black cylinders
Yes, indeed!

Old 07-14-2016, 07:39 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

The money's spent. The bike runs sweet as hell. By your account the build was done right. Seems like a great day, in Buford, Ga., for a ride. And I agree those all black cylinders are the ****. I'm thinking about doing a bolt-on 'big bore' kit when I get my base gaskets done. I was looking at black with highlights cylinders…but seeing your black ones…that'll be the ticket, now.

Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 07-14-2016 at 07:42 PM.

Quick Reply: EVO Rebuild