EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1995 Fatboy carburetor

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 08:20 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Originally Posted by splittie65
Still no luck with photobucket....but found another site to host images.....hope this works.

Quote: 'If you look at the top of the reply box there is a little yellow square that looks like a picture of mountains with a moon over them.
It's just to the left of the "quote" icon.
Click that and the upload a picture from your computer. '

Sorry Texashillcountry......no yellow square on mine.....maybe you have special privileges
Not quite sure where we are here. Is this the carb you HAVE, or the carb you WANT to install. That looks like the garden variety Keihin CV outfit to me. Part numbers they were sold under varied as varying emissions standards forced the MoCo to adjust jetting over the years.

I ask because there were "Screamin' Eagle" butterfly carbs (as was mentioned above). Harley also sold a "Screamin' Eagle" CV carb which was a larger version of the Keihin CV carb (44mm vs. 40mm stock).

Last edited by Uncle G.; 08-17-2016 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:29 AM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Sorry Texashillcountry......no yellow square on mine.....maybe you have special privileges

Looks like this.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:13 AM
splittie65
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi all, I seem to be confusing everybody…..
So, pull up a chair and grab a cold beer while I review the situation…..

Currently on my 1995 Fatboy there is a Screamin Eagle Keihn butterfly carb that was fitted some years ago by a Harley dealer, before I owned the bike.
I have found it difficult to keep set up correctly and am currently only getting about 35 mpg (that’s UK gallons which are larger than US gallons). As the bike is standard apart from a mild cam upgrade, that’s not good.

Now I have offered a free standard 1995 Harley CV carb (photos in an earlier post) and have been considering fitting it as a replacement.

My questions are two-fold……..

First, should I fit the CV carb, or persevere with butterfly carb?

Second, the spare carb I have is part number 27088-95, and this was fitted as standard to a 1995 International FX…... but why is there a different part number for the carb fitted as standard to a 1995 Fatboy (27206-93A) ?
Surely the engines were the same?

Obviously this second question is just out of curiosity.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:21 AM
splittie65
Cruiser

Texashillcountry / Outlaw.......

Below is what I have for quick reply on my computer screen....although I have found 'Additional Options' in the main 'Reply to Thread' allows me to attach a photo.

The quote option isn't working for me either tho'

Attached Thumbnails 1995 Fatboy carburetor-screenshot.jpg  
Old 08-18-2016, 07:19 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Currently on my 1995 Fatboy there is a Screamin Eagle Keihn butterfly carb that was fitted some years ago by a Harley dealer, before I owned the bike.
I have found it difficult to keep set up correctly and am currently only getting about 35 mpg (that’s UK gallons which are larger than US gallons). As the bike is standard apart from a mild cam upgrade, that’s not good.

Now I have offered a free standard 1995 Harley CV carb (photos in an earlier post) and have been considering fitting it as a replacement.

My questions are two-fold……..

First, should I fit the CV carb, or persevere with butterfly carb?

Second, the spare carb I have is part number 27088-95, and this was fitted as standard to a 1995 International FX…... but why is there a different part number for the carb fitted as standard to a 1995 Fatboy (27206-93A) ?
Surely the engines were the same?

Obviously this second question is just out of curiosity.
From what I have read by people smarter than me (damn near anyone!!) is that the CV carb is a huge improvement over the butterfly carb.

Since you have the opportunity to get a free CV carb I say try that and see what you think.

That said I tossed my CV carb (that I couldn't get to run right) in favor of an S&S Super E and have been happy ever since.

The following users liked this post:
splittie65 (08-18-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 07:22 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Texashillcountry / Outlaw.......

Below is what I have for quick reply on my computer screen....although I have found 'Additional Options' in the main 'Reply to Thread' allows me to attach a photo.

The quote option isn't working for me either tho'
Send a message to terry or one of the other moderators and see why you don't have the symbols.

It could be a setting in your User CP.

You have damn sure been here long enough to have the privileges!!!!

splittie65 (08-18-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 09:00 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,811 Likes on 3,315 Posts

Entertain this theory, Maybe your having a tough time of it with getting the Keihn carb to run to what you think it should be because Maybe the motor it's built more than you think. Causing the poor fuel mileage. You really do need to figure out what cam is in There. "A mild cam could be anything" maybe you should do a compression test first and then take the cam out to see what you really do have. Then make a reasonable choice as to which Way to go with carburation. I currently believe you are throwing darts at balloons to "Maybe" win a prize.

One other thing do you know what gear ratio you are currently running and is your Speedo registering correctly?

Old 08-18-2016, 09:17 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Entertain this theory, Maybe your having a tough time of it with getting the Keihn carb to run to what you think it should be because Maybe the motor it's built more than you think. Causing the poor fuel mileage. You really do need to figure out what cam is in There. "A mild cam could be anything" maybe you should do a compression test first and then take the cam out to see what you really do have. Then make a reasonable choice as to which Way to go with carburation. I currently believe you are throwing darts at balloons to "Maybe" win a prize.

One other thing do you know what gear ratio you are currently running and is your Speedo registering correctly?
Since you set a carb on the condition of the plugs why does any of that matter?

Old 08-19-2016, 03:43 AM
splittie65
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy

I have a 'sales list' of what the Harley dealer had done.
It was mainly cosmetic apart from uprated brakes, 'Screamin Eagle performance butterfly carb' and 'Screamin Eagle performance cams'.
No other work was done to the engine. So it would have standard compression.

It now has a Supertrapp Fatshots exhaust system.

If I rebuild and fit the CV carb, any suggestions as a starting point for main and slow jet sizes?

Old 08-19-2016, 04:37 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

Use the CV, it is a very good carby and once set up you never need to touch it again. On UK gas I would set it up like this:

48 idle jet, N65C needle OR stock needle with a 2mm shim under it and a 195 main jet.

That will be a good starting point and then just do a few plug chop runs (cruise at various throttle openings, hit the kill switch and look at the plug colour...grey is good, black is OTT and white is danger).

Should run well with no flat spots or stumbling.

splittie65 (08-19-2016)

Quick Reply: 1995 Fatboy carburetor