EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Need y'all's help w/ my Evo problem please.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 05:31 PM
Mikeys
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need y'all's help w/ my Evo problem please.....

Hi y'all,

My scoot was doing fine! No problems. It's a 1998 FLHRC-I 80'' Evo, Stage II Harley kit (cam, big breather tube, largest injectors) I needed more kids and big end, so I put the KH 2 into 1 pipes (which was difficult for me.... I miss those long *** fishtails......). Which was showing to be the best for my application. Added the Power Commander Dynojet USB to the ECM and had it Dyno'd tuned by authorized shop. Jumped to a respectable 81 Hp don't know torque and RPM right off hand. Been running fine for a couple years.......

Took the cover off the other day, turned it on.... Engine light glows but a very very faint hum from tank, no clear fuel pump pressurizing the lines. Cranked fine but wouldn't start. Checked all fuses and relays: fuel pump fuse and relay, ECM fuse, power commander, etc, and replaced them all just for GP since they were all OEM. Still no fuel pump and no pressurized fuel lines.

So what the hell, popped the tank open pulled the OEM fuel pump and filter out and replaced them both. Reassembled, still no fuel pump pressurizing lines and naturally, no firing up.

Bypassed the power commander....... Still not working.

Traced out and checked continuity on all wires. All good and all showing appropriate voltage as well, at all junctions right up to the terminations. Just for fun checked spark, all good, still no start orvpressurizing of fuel lines.

Don't have A HD Scanalyzer to read codes, so, tried to find and buy one, ...... No luck. So resorted to reading saved codes manually. After following procedure multiple times there has been no flashing engine light to indicate code numbers stored: engine light just lights up and remains on steady.

Champion HD is 85 miles. Cowboy, 175 miles. Barnett HD about 175 miles..... Next closest Thunderbird, and Duke City HD about 250 miles and no damn trailer.

I would be grateful for suggestions on what the problem might be, how to determine what trouble might be, how to repair problem and get my scoot up and puttin' around the country the country side.

No scooter shops in my town or closer than noted above.

Help please, and thanks y'all, in advance.

Mikey

Old 08-27-2016, 05:52 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikeys
Hi y'all,

My scoot was doing fine! No problems. It's a 1998 FLHRC-I 80'' Evo, Stage II Harley kit (cam, big breather tube, largest injectors) I needed more kids and big end, so I put the KH 2 into 1 pipes (which was difficult for me.... I miss those long *** fishtails......). Which was showing to be the best for my application. Added the Power Commander Dynojet USB to the ECM and had it Dyno'd tuned by authorized shop. Jumped to a respectable 81 Hp don't know torque and RPM right off hand. Been running fine for a couple years.......

Took the cover off the other day, turned it on.... Engine light glows but a very very faint hum from tank, no clear fuel pump pressurizing the lines. Cranked fine but wouldn't start. Checked all fuses and relays: fuel pump fuse and relay, ECM fuse, power commander, etc, and replaced them all just for GP since they were all OEM. Still no fuel pump and no pressurized fuel lines.

So what the hell, popped the tank open pulled the OEM fuel pump and filter out and replaced them both. Reassembled, still no fuel pump pressurizing lines and naturally, no firing up.

Bypassed the power commander....... Still not working.

Traced out and checked continuity on all wires. All good and all showing appropriate voltage as well, at all junctions right up to the terminations. Just for fun checked spark, all good, still no start orvpressurizing of fuel lines.

Don't have A HD Scanalyzer to read codes, so, tried to find and buy one, ...... No luck. So resorted to reading saved codes manually. After following procedure multiple times there has been no flashing engine light to indicate code numbers stored: engine light just lights up and remains on steady.

Champion HD is 85 miles. Cowboy, 175 miles. Barnett HD about 175 miles..... Next closest Thunderbird, and Duke City HD about 250 miles and no damn trailer.

I would be grateful for suggestions on what the problem might be, how to determine what trouble might be, how to repair problem and get my scoot up and puttin' around the country the country side.

No scooter shops in my town or closer than noted above.

Help please, and thanks y'all, in advance.

Mikey

Do you have a manual? You could pull the fuel pump relay and jumper 12volts directly to the pump to see if it pumps. Sounds electrical to me, especially if you replaced the pump. You should post this in the EVO forum or see if one of the mods can move it for you.

Old 08-27-2016, 06:17 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,555 Likes on 3,058 Posts

The one time I needed a dealer was 400 miles from home and I limped the bike (sporadic cutting out,) to Niedengards Harley, Winterville,Oh and they still had a scanalyzer which immediately told them that my throttle position sensor was failing. Rather than guessing, I'm happy to have spent the $65 for the hour that they charged me.
The new fuel pump wasn't a waste (I did mine at 100,000 miles just for good measure,) but the 85 mile haul might be a good investment at this point.

Old 08-27-2016, 06:58 PM
Mikeys
6th Gear
Default Thanks y'all

I do have a manual. I've followed it for sure.

I replaced the relays. Figured it couldn't hurt. Thanks for the ideas.

I'll also try posting in the other blogs.
Mikey

Old 08-27-2016, 08:07 PM
Mikeys
6th Gear
Default I really need y'all's help w/ my Evo!!!

Hi y'all.

My scoot is a 1998 FLHRC-I 95th anniversary edition. HD Stage II kit ( cam, large breather tube, largest injectors). I added a PowerCommander Dynojet USB between the ECM, and a VH 2 into 1 header (a hard decision made for performance improvement cuz a bagger should have long *** fish tails!!!) had it PC Dyno tuned and jumped up to a respectable 81 hp (don't recall RPM/Torque right now) but it fell in the upper mid range and lower big end).

Been puttin' round with no problems for a couple years. Suddenly I took the cover off and and tried to fire it up. Engine light came on and no fuel pump pressurizing the fuel lines but just a soft hum from in the tank. Engine turns over and all lights etc work.

So I checked and replaced all fuses and relays just for GP and they were OEM: fuel pimp, injectors, ECM, Fuel pump relay etc.). Still won't start and same symptoms.

Checked spark: good spark.

Popped the fuel tank open and replaced OEM fuel pump and filter.

Reassembled and no start. Unassembled again and checked voltage at all junctures then checked continuity before and after ECM and at all junctures up to the pump terminal. Continuity was 100% showing no breaks or shorts. Voltage was good at all points.

Scooter still doesn't fire up and no fuel line pressure.

Don't own a HD Scanalyzer and tried to find one to buy. No success. Closest HD shop ( champion) is 85 miles, Barnett HD is 175, Cowboy HD is 175, Duke City in ABQ is 250 miles. I don't have a trailer and could probably borrow/rent one but....... No other scooter shops any closer.

I need, and would be grateful for any suggestions, ideas' awarenesses, solutions, etc that y'all might have and offer. I need to get this scooter up and puttin' around.

Thanks y'all in advance for your help.

Mikey

Old 08-27-2016, 08:28 PM
springers4ever
Road Master
Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts
Cool Power ...

seems you've tested everything ...but the battery ...??? do you have power going thur the kill switch on the handle bar ...??? (bad switch) ...

i see you say it is turning over ...if it has fire ....then it must be something with the fuel ...or the throttle body ...take the air filter off and see if it's opening and smell for gas ...

try disconnecting the PC and hook it all back stock ...and see if it will start then ...may be the PC III ...

Last edited by springers4ever; 08-27-2016 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:54 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 1,343 Posts

How are you determining "no fuel line pressure"?

There is a procedure for pulling the codes from the ECU without a scan tool. Look for that.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:28 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Can you borrow an ECM to test?

Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 08-28-2016 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:08 PM
Mikeys
6th Gear

Springer, I have tried the PC bypass but I'm forgetting in what order, so i will give it another shot...... Thanks

Dr Hess... I checked the manual method of code reading..... In stead of the engine light flashing out the bombers of the codes saved in memory, mine remains on and I have no idea what that means and can't find it in the book as even a possibility. Which sucks!

I have been determining that there is no fuel line pressure by:
1---- The noticeable sound from the fuel pump as it pressurized the lines is not heard.
2---- The fuel pump does not cycle as it should
3---- I can remove a fuel line and there is no fuel or pressure
4 --- No fuel is evident at any time in the throttle body

I'm open to other suggestions.

I will go and try to bypass the PC III again to make sure I didn't screw something up there. I can see how it is possible I would...... It's about 101 degrees in the shop, and I was already bordering on the side of being pissed off..... If you know what I mean........

Mikey

Old 08-28-2016, 02:14 PM
Mikeys
6th Gear

I will keep looking around at least for a scanalyzer..... The existing ECM should be fine, nut it could be the PC III which I bypassed once, but am about to double check one more time.

Thanks. Mikey

Quick Reply: Need y'all's help w/ my Evo problem please.....