EVO All Evo Model Discussion

98' Ultra Classic crusie control...help !

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 01:51 PM
BMOTOXSTAR
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 98' Ultra Classic crusie control...help !

Hi all,
Well, I was unsure of posting this question in the touring section. Seems a better option here in the EVO section.....if not let me know.

So, question is...
I replaced my speedometer on my 98' Ultra Classic & after the install the turn signal auto cancel as I call it stopped working & the cruise control as well. The speedo is used, however functions great & is correct for my year make & model. Could the speedo be the issue with the cruise control and the signals or just they happened to stop working at the same time?
Would the turn signal issue be that part that is located under the front fender or would the speedo cause that not t work as well?
All of the fuses are good & I do not have any loose or broken wires.
Thanks

Old 09-23-2016, 06:10 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

The reed switch is not working. Something like that.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:13 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,156 Posts

Originally Posted by BMOTOXSTAR
Hi all,
Well, I was unsure of posting this question in the touring section. Seems a better option here in the EVO section.....if not let me know.

So, question is...
I replaced my speedometer on my 98' Ultra Classic & after the install the turn signal auto cancel as I call it stopped working & the cruise control as well. The speedo is used, however functions great & is correct for my year make & model. Could the speedo be the issue with the cruise control and the signals or just they happened to stop working at the same time?
Would the turn signal issue be that part that is located under the front fender or would the speedo cause that not t work as well?
All of the fuses are good & I do not have any loose or broken wires.
Thanks
I don't have cruise on my 97 EG. But I can tell you if the speedo cable breaks it will kill the auto cancel. Course the speedo quit working as well.

There should be a 2 pin connector pig tailed out off the back of the speedo. If this left unplugged the auto cancel will not work either.

The cruise control has to have some kind of vehicle speed input to it. My bet would be that the same connection I spoke of is the input to the turn sig module and the cruise module.

WP

Old 09-23-2016, 11:47 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee⋁15538498
The reed switch is not working. Something like that.
^^^ This.

If it was a used speedometer, quite likely it is bad. Or you failed to make the connections to the reed switch. Without the reed switch sending pulses, the cruise control, auto-cancel turn signals, or radio volume control won't work.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:46 PM
BMOTOXSTAR
Cruiser

Yes, used speedometer.
The connection looks good. Thank you all so much for the help.

I will have to hunt for another one. If anyone has any leads on one please let me know.

You guys helped me find it on e-bay when I found this one. It has been over a year & it is just bugging me on the signals & cruise.

At-least the glass is not cracked and the mph works. Just really miss those two features.

Old 09-24-2016, 06:17 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,156 Posts

If it has the connection you might see about getting it repaired.

it's been a couple years ago when I thought I had a problem in the speedo that was causing the cable to break. It turned out I needed a bit longer cable to reduce the stretch on it. In that time I ckd with a dealer about a speedo and the was still 2-3 avaliable at dealers around the country. They priced one to me at 169.sumptin. Might give it a try

WP

Last edited by WP50; 09-24-2016 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:32 AM
BMOTOXSTAR
Cruiser

Thank you man...if I can find one from the dealer I would pay $160.

I would hate to have to send it out for repair & be without......

Old 09-26-2016, 02:37 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

It's been 10 years since I have the instrument cluster out of my FLHS. But I seem to recall that the reed switch was removable (on mine). Have you got a picture of the speedometer? The back side? They are simple to check with a VOM.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:54 AM
BMOTOXSTAR
Cruiser

Thanks, I am going to get that fairing off and post a pic.

Old 02-12-2017, 12:56 AM
BMOTOXSTAR
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Hackd
^^^ This.

If it was a used speedometer, quite likely it is bad. Or you failed to make the connections to the reed switch. Without the reed switch sending pulses, the cruise control, auto-cancel turn signals, or radio volume control won't work.
I am digging this one up from months ago. I have been dreading to take that faring off again.

How do I check this reed?
Thanks, after months....

Quick Reply: 98' Ultra Classic crusie control...help !