EVO All Evo Model Discussion

How do you remove the oil pump shaft bushing in this situation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 02:55 PM
pcua28
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you remove the oil pump shaft bushing in this situation?

In process of replacing my oil pump on 97 flhtc due to drive gears shattering. I am going to remove motor to slide hammer the oil pump shaft out (very tight) but if its that tight, how do you remove the oil pump shaft bushing afterwards and is installation of bushing simple? Thanks in advance!!!

Old 01-16-2017, 03:19 PM
IBDAGRIZ
Road Master
Received 224 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by pcua28
In process of replacing my oil pump on 97 flhtc due to drive gears shattering. I am going to remove motor to slide hammer the oil pump shaft out (very tight) but if its that tight, how do you remove the oil pump shaft bushing afterwards and is installation of bushing simple? Thanks in advance!!!
I'm assuming you have already opened up the nose cone and pulled the c-clip off the end of the shaft first?

Griz

Old 01-16-2017, 03:25 PM
pcua28
4th Gear

Originally Posted by IBDAGRIZ
I'm assuming you have already opened up the nose cone and pulled the c-clip off the end of the shaft first?

Griz
Yes and have the shaft out as far as I can without removing motor. Waiting on engine stand and all needed parts to arrive. Just trying to get info on it because it seemed it was going to be a trick being with all the effort to get shaft where it is now and bushing hasn't moved, seemed it should have moved some anyway being shaft that difficult to slide out.

Old 01-16-2017, 03:33 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Yes and have the shaft out as far as I can without removing motor. Waiting on engine stand and all needed parts to arrive. Just trying to get info on it because it seemed it was going to be a trick being with all the effort to get shaft where it is now and bushing hasn't moved, seemed it should have moved some anyway being shaft that difficult to slide out.
What all have you done so far and why (if you already have the circlip off) can't you take off the gear that drives the shaft and remove the oil pump without pulling the engine??

Old 01-16-2017, 03:33 PM
IBDAGRIZ
Road Master

Didn't realize it wouldn't clear the tranny coming out of there with the motor still in the frame. That blows having to pull it to get it out.

Is there considerable wobble between it and the shaft you're pulling? May not need to actually replace the bushing or shaft.

Griz

Old 01-16-2017, 03:39 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by IBDAGRIZ
Didn't realize it wouldn't clear the tranny coming out of there with the motor still in the frame. That blows having to pull it to get it out.

Is there considerable wobble between it and the shaft you're pulling? May not need to actually replace the bushing or shaft.

Griz
I know you can pull the oil pump on a softail without pulling the motor I'm not sure on a bagger but I think you can do it with the motor in the frame as well.

Old 01-16-2017, 03:40 PM
pcua28
4th Gear

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
What all have you done so far and why (if you already have the circlip off) can't you take off the gear that drives the shaft and remove the oil pump without pulling the engine??
Engine is ready to be put on the stand except 4 bolts. Both drive gears exploded, had to cut the drive gear off the pump shaft. The shaft is longer than the space between the motor and tranny so motor has to be pulled or twisted in frame. Just want to know after I get shaft out, what is the method to remove the bushing or sleeve the oil pump shaft runs through. There is no wobble or anything between shaft and bushing, very stuck.

Old 01-16-2017, 03:42 PM
IBDAGRIZ
Road Master

I know you can pull the oil pump on a softail without pulling the motor I'm not sure on a bagger but I think you can do it with the motor in the frame as well.
I own two of them, you'd think I might know, but I put motors in with the pumps attached. I am lost though as I thought it should go in while in the frame. Sucks if not.

Griz

Old 01-16-2017, 03:47 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Engine is ready to be put on the stand except 4 bolts. Both drive gears exploded, had to cut the drive gear off the pump shaft. The shaft is longer than the space between the motor and tranny so motor has to be pulled or twisted in frame. Just want to know after I get shaft out, what is the method to remove the bushing or sleeve the oil pump shaft runs through. There is no wobble or anything between shaft and bushing, very stuck.
So you have both layers of the oil pump off the case and the only thing you have left is the shaft through the bushing correct?

Old 01-16-2017, 03:48 PM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

It's the same. You helped my buddy George figure it out, and that was a touring bike.

Quick Reply: How do you remove the oil pump shaft bushing in this situation?