EVO All Evo Model Discussion

New Evo Owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 01:02 PM
Sand850
Cruiser
Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts

dibe, I have to admit you have great taste in bikes.

Don't have any technical stuff to tell you that was not covered already.

Do buy the FSM. It will really help you out.

One thing I have learned is that the folks on this forum will be here to help you out if you get in a jam. Lot of good people here.

Enjoy your new bike.

The following users liked this post:
dibe (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 03:05 PM
dibe
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys.

I did check out the nose cone already and there are screws in there. It looks like the pickup is in still good shape as springer pointed out.

I am pretty mechanical so I plan on doing the work myself. I have the bike in my sig still and have been riding and wrenching on bikes since I was 19. I still do appreciate the help though as there is always something to learn out there.

I will have to check out those plugs jim as I am a bit of a mileage freak myself.

The bike supposedly came with a performance cam. I am going to try to get the info from the guy I bought it from about the cam.

The bike has a kuryakyn hypercharger and straight pipes with no baffles. I am going to look into at least getting some baffles if not new pipes.

I swapped out the exhaust gaskets and the bike is running much better then before. My dumbass didn't get the square style crush gaskets so I think I will get the square type and swap them out. There stills seems to be a minor leak in the rear as some smoke was still coming out of the jug where the pipe goes in.

I ran a compression test as well and am getting 130 in the rear and 120 in the front. The FSM says anything above 90 is good.

Here is a little video of the bike running if anyone is interested

Old 02-26-2017, 03:25 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,348 Likes on 1,552 Posts

Originally Posted by dibe
The exhaust nuts were all tight. The rear cylinder won't even fire unless the RPM's are at about 2k. That is how bad the leak is.
Leak - INTAKE - spray a little starter fluid around the rear intake and see what happens.
I saw you refer to exhaust leak. 2K rmps creates more vacuum to begin to suck enough to overcome the intake leak. I bought a 96 running on the front cylinder only, rode it hone and it would take off as I accelerated, $12 worth of seals later it ran perfectly and idled well.
Best of Luck to you

dibe (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 03:53 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

The bike has a kuryakyn hypercharger and straight pipes with no baffles. I am going to look into at least getting some baffles if not new pipes.

I swapped out the exhaust gaskets and the bike is running much better then before. My dumbass didn't get the square style crush gaskets so I think I will get the square type and swap them out. There stills seems to be a minor leak in the rear as some smoke was still coming out of the jug where the pipe goes in.
Adding baffles is easy and much cheaper than a new set of pipes.

The type of exhaust gaskets needed is dependant on the header part of your pipes.
If it's rounded use the tapered ones and if it's squared off then get the flat ones.

FWIW most pipes use the tapered exhaust gaskets.

Oh and toss that Hypercharger as it's a POS and doesn't do a damn thing for you except give rain a good shot at your air filter.

dibe (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 07:00 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

You should be able to tell by the sound at idle if it has a cam in it or not. Bike looks pretty good for the price you paid. I just had to change my intake gaskets due to running a little lean.

dibe (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 07:17 PM
dibe
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll check the intake gaskets just to make sure but every time it back fired, smoke would blow out of the exhaust port.

I wanted to make sure the bike would run without any major issues before I started dumping money into it. I feel at this point that the bike is sound.

I ordered a set of baffles. Hopefully they will be in this week. I'll get to give the exhaust gaskets another go around.

I spoke with the PO and he told me that there is an Andrews ev27 cam in it.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:59 PM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

The exhaust nuts were all tight. The rear cylinder won't even fire unless the RPM's are at about 2k. That is how bad the leak is. I had the bike running for a bit this morning and it looks like the front exhaust is leaking too. I ran out to the dealer this morning and got two new gaskets so I plan on changing those out today.
If it won't fire until you have it spun up to 2k, you have something else going on. She'll fire with no exhaust installed at all. Verify the compression, then suspect plugs and wires. Maybe the coil if it's single fire.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:54 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,817 Likes on 3,319 Posts

Originally Posted by Owtlaw
If it won't fire until you have it spun up to 2k, you have something else going on. She'll fire with no exhaust installed at all. Verify the compression, then suspect plugs and wires. Maybe the coil if it's single fire.
I have to agree. There no consistency to it, so I wouldn't think it would be anything in the valve train. Will need to take a good look at the ignition...

Based on this (I'll check the intake gaskets just to make sure but every time it back fired, smoke would blow out of the exhaust port.) I think it would indicate the firing of the cylinder while the exhaust valve is still partially open...

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 02-27-2017 at 05:56 AM.
dibe (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 07:25 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Good looking bike at a great price!!!!

Address the 'little things' and ride that old EVO!!!!

dibe (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 07:32 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Owtlaw

Corrosion on one of the posts of a dual fire coil could also make it fire on one cylinder.

Whatever it is exhaust gaskets aren't what is causing it firing on one cylinder.

dibe (02-27-2017)

Quick Reply: New Evo Owner