EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Rocker Cover removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 11:43 AM
riden2low
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rocker Cover removal

Got a 93 Fatboy and I am going to be removing the rocker covers to put in some Jims roller rockers. The motor is still in the bike so all I want to do is remove the rocker covers and replace the rockers. My question is, how hard is it going to be to remove the rear cover and if there are any tricks as there is very little clearance. I alreadyhave my favorite cuss words ready at hand. I have read some guys had no problem at all and others were using a rubber mallet. I might luck out but just want to see if there was something to look for or to do, when I start this project

Old 12-16-2007, 11:55 AM
89 FXRS
Cruiser
Default RE: Rocker Cover removal

It is pretty easy, Read the manual. To get the clearance you have to remove the front motor mount assembly the motor will come down about a inch or so ( by memory ). Then you will have all of the room that you will need.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:25 PM
Fat Henry
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure about a 93 but my 98 was easy except for the stupidity part.
I replaced the lower gasket because of a leak on the rear cylinder.

Let me tell you this first. I am a retired automotive line tech 30 + yrs experience.
No one turns a wrench on my bike but me. Except tires.

On reassembly I was trying to get the center section back in. I fought this for about an hour. I mean really fought it. It would not go in no matter how I tried. I'm thinking wow I really don't want to pull this engine, it came out so should go back in right.
I was begining to think this would be a good time to start drinking again.

I finally decided to go sit down have a cup of coffee and think about it.

I finished my coffee went over flipped it right side up and in it went.

I'm glad none of y'all were here to see it.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:03 PM
notlost_nc
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My FLT says to remove motor mount also but I never have. I use a cut down 3/16" allen wrench that
will fit between the frame and the rocker box. It's tight but do-able.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:11 PM
riden2low
Tourer

Thanks guys, I am going to give it a shot. Some say to loosen the motor mounts...hmmmm....My 93's EVO is mounted to the frame. No mount to loosen other than the engine and even if I did, there is'nt much room between the support tube behind the rear cylinder. So I will have to take it apart little by little.....I think I am closer to Fat Henry's 98. I will be taking the tanks off tomorrow and I will get a better picture of it as what I am going to have to do.....and cutting an allen wrench down isn't a bad idea either for the close quarters that I am going to have to deal with

Old 12-16-2007, 10:03 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

Motor mount stuff is for rubber-mounts. Like you said, yours is soild and you don't need to do anything with the mounts.

Coupla points to ponder:

1 - Don't drop the bolt you gotta access through the hole in the frame, down into the opening in the frame! They say to put a rolled up paper tube arund it while you're wrenching it out/in. I never have, but ...

2 - You might have to compress the rear intake valve spring to clear the rocker cover when you slide it out. Some come out without doing this; some don't.

3 - Memorize the motions you go through to get that lower rear section out. Reverse 'em to get it back in. It especially helps if you remember exactly how you held your tongue!

4 - If the new parts don't include new shafts, make sure the shafts go back into their original position.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:16 PM
pistole
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: riden2low

Got a 93 Fatboy and I am going to be removing the rocker covers to put in some Jims roller rockers
- are these going to be big improvement for the EVO engine ?

thanks.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:37 AM
riden2low
Tourer

Well the roller rockers will be an improvement. Less wear on the valves. I wouldn't have paid the full price to change them out unless I was racing the bike or maybe with a big bore kit. I just happen to buy them pretty reasonable from a friend who had taken them out of an engine he was selling. I have had roller rockers in my truck for years and I think it does help in the long run.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:14 PM
Blown 331
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a 1993 Softail custom and I pulled both cylinders off the engine while in the bike with no problems. I didn't remove any motor mounts either. It all just came right out.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:39 PM
riden2low
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Blown 331

I've got a 1993 Softail custom and I pulled both cylinders off the engine while in the bike with no problems. I didn't remove any motor mounts either. It all just came right out.
Thanks blown 331. I was just getting the tanks removed and getting ready to remove the rocker covers. That makes me happy to hear. As I said before I may get lucky and have no problem at all but wanted some advice who has done it before. This will be my first time taking them off of an EVO and yep, got the manual on the bench

Quick Reply: Rocker Cover removal