EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Dumping oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 03:05 PM
moblmowr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumping oil

Are there any o-rings down under the primary cover and clutch back by the drain plug and back up underneath the front drive sprocket on my 98 LR. I change the primary oil and adjusted the chain 2 days ago. Put about 30 miles on it yesterday, then changed the transmission oil, but I only started it for a minute or two to check for leaks. I went out this morning to go for a ride and it started pouring oil out. First I thought the drain plug on the primary was loose but after checking close, it is coming from back up behind the plug and under the drive belt sprocket. Any ideas because my H.D. shop is closed for Easter and I couldn't get a manual (just bought the bike about 7 weeks ago) for it.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:40 PM
Mr1986FLST
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Dumping oil

I don't know about the '98s but some of the earlier models, '86-'89, and maybe others have a seal where the starter motor shaft comes through...you can feel behind the inner primary and if it is pushed out you can seat it back in. I guess it is possible you have a cracked inner primary...I know this is kind-of common since it has happened to me and I have seen repaired inner-primaries for cracks listed on ebay. If you had the outter primary cover off and you tightened too much on the primary cover bolts when reassembling, that could result in a crack somewhere, typically near the bolt areas. Although most I have seen cracked were near the front, and not near the rear as you describe. Maybe someone else knows more about the '98s and can give you some good info.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:17 PM
moblmowr
Cruiser

Thanks, that helped. I jacked it up and I guess its to low to leak real bad because it wouldn't leak enough for me to tell. I think its transmission fluid because I check it after filling it yesterday and it wasn't on the stick. Will keep looking after adding tranny fluid.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:47 PM
JakeSabre
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: moblmowr

and adjusted the chain 2 days ago.
Check the tension on the chain, if you got it too tight, you may have sprung a leak past the quad seal on the main shaft.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:28 AM
moblmowr
Cruiser

I pulled the cover back off to see if I could find anything wrong from when I adjusted the chain and while I was in there I checked my adjustment and it was 3/4 of an inch. Put it all back together which is when I jacked it up and it kinda quit leaking (pouring out) so I went and bought some more mobil 1 70w/90w. Put that in but it was getting dark so I just pushed it in the garage. It has to run a few minutes, get warmed up then it starts pouring out, it doesn't look like its coming from the front drive belt pulley, but more like the top of the cast housing that the long bolt with the locking tabs inside the primary cover under the clutch goes through. I hope my description makes since to everyone out there cuz I can get real long winded if I'm not careful, LOL. Thanks for everyon's help so far.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:10 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

The vent hose still in place just behind the inner primary? Did you top off the trans with it on the kickstand or sitting straight up? If you topped it off with it on the kickstand the trans is way over full,and it is pouring out the vent tube.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:48 PM
moblmowr
Cruiser

God I hope thats it dog155 because I topped it off on the kick stand. I've read so many post on oil and stuff that I thought I was supposed to check oil and tranny on the the kick stand, I guess its just the oil you check leaning over. Actually, I thought I read where the tranny held a quart, so all I did was dump a quart in and checked it leaning over. Fixing to go out to the garage and check that right now. You could be my hero, LOL.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:10 PM
Mr1986FLST
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I hope it was just an overfill...that would be an easy fix for you. I use RedLine heavyshockproof in the tranny and it is thick red fluid, so if my tranny leaks it looks much different than my primary, where I am using the harley synthetic. I just measure and pour too, and have never had an overfill problem whenI drain completely. When I drain the tranny I usually leave it open for a couple hours to drain completely before closing it up and refilling.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:53 PM
moblmowr
Cruiser

Well, I want to thank everyone for their input, especially dog155 because he was right on the money. I let it run a few minutes after I saw the fresh oil underneath the vent tube and it had quit leaking so I rode it about 25 miles with no more leaking. All is back right in my little world! Hmmm, I wonder if he can fix my lawnmower, lol.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:14 AM
89 FXRS
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do Iunderstand that you are using synthetic in your primary? If so that is not the best idea. Synthetic oil has supior lubricating quality that you clutch does not need or want. I know I had to replace a clutch because I made the same mistake.

Quick Reply: Dumping oil