EVO All Evo Model Discussion

What S&S Carb Do I Buy ~ ~ CONFUSED

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 05:31 PM
SCHOONER
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy What S&S Carb Do I Buy ~ ~ CONFUSED

Hey Guys ( Straighten this Newbie Out Please )

Questions/Questions;

I own a 1985 Evo 1340cc (bought it brand new)
Allways was hard to start and figured that's the way
it suppose to B ~ WRONG

I need to change that monster I've been living with since it was bought. (The Butterfly Carb)

1. Is the S&S Super "E" the one I should buy ?
2. I should buy in new right/not used off Ebay ?
As least NEW I'm have a warrenty.
3. How hard is it to install the new S&S ?
I'm pretty handy with tools.
4. Do I have to buy the S&S from a dealership ?
Or directly for the company. Told you guys I
was a NEWBIE

In J&P Cycles catolog on page 424 the price for the S&S carb for: $423.99 but with cruise control.

About the CRUISE CONTROL on my '85 is like this;
I get the bike up to highway speed and swist a hand
screw and fix the throttle and speed it controled.

What's with the S&S CRUISE CONTROL for the "E" carb like ?

Need help with all these important questions guys.

I'm in your hands. You've been there and back, I will fellow

Old 08-22-2010, 06:37 PM
Nautilus
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For what it's worth,I've heard that CV carbs are great, I have one on my bike and I've read they can perform great if properly tuned. I'd suggest a good CV carb, should be cheaper and it will definitely eliminate the hard to start engine.I just read, think it was yesterday, a post of a guy swapping his butterfly carb for a cv... it has to be in this forum or in softail, better keep an eye on it and read some comments after he's done if u don't want to spend 400 bucks on a new S&S

Old 08-22-2010, 06:46 PM
Rene Ranger
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the E carb works great. starts usually on the second kick

Old 08-22-2010, 07:27 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 1,343 Posts

I have a Super E as well on my 86. It is a very good carb. Order the one specifically for your bike, with the intake manifold. It will come with the right pieces. Yeah, buy a new one. Whenever I buy a used carb, I just assume it is beat to shiite and will need a total rebuild. After all, if it was working well, someone wouldn't have pulled it off and sold it. Note that you will also have to jet the carb after it is on. I know they sell it specifically for your bike, but the jets will probably be pig rich. My kit came with a 295 intermediate and a 72 main. I wound up with a 265 intermediate and a 64 main.

People like the CV's. I don't have one so I can't comment on that. My bike starts easy and pulls strong. No more Keihin pop.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:42 PM
SCHOONER
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Hey Dr. Hess Thanks 4 your impute ~ Need All The Help eye can get

Say Dr.Hess

I will definelty buy new a.s.a.p. when my bike goes to the painter within a month or so. Need to save some more $ $ $

Now let get this straight if you will please. Are you telling
me that I have to make sure I buy the Super "E" specifely for my year H-D (1985 )

S&S makes "E" carburetors for years 1985 thru present ?

Just to make sure I know what your saying and getting it into
my THICK SKULL; Make sure when ordering the S&S carb; telling 'em the year of my Harely

Thanks Doc & and the rest of you great guys out there helping
this 70yr ol' fart.

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
I have a Super E as well on my 86. It is a very good carb. Order the one specifically for your bike, with the intake manifold. It will come with the right pieces. Yeah, buy a new one. Whenever I buy a used carb, I just assume it is beat to shiite and will need a total rebuild. After all, if it was working well, someone wouldn't have pulled it off and sold it. Note that you will also have to jet the carb after it is on. I know they sell it specifically for your bike, but the jets will probably be pig rich. My kit came with a 295 intermediate and a 72 main. I wound up with a 265 intermediate and a 64 main.

People like the CV's. I don't have one so I can't comment on that. My bike starts easy and pulls strong. No more Keihin pop.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:10 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,806 Likes on 2,123 Posts

the one with Mikuni on the side of it Schooner.Never really had long lasting good results with an S+S.G.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Well, when I bought my S&S, from J&P, there were a lot of different kits available and I picked the one that was supposed to be specifically for my bike, and probably yours too. I think the jetting is all the same, but the spacers and maybe a few other pieces may be different between the different years. Certainly our "bottom breathers" would take different parts than the "top breathers" of the later years. The kit came with a new manifold and the new style attachment to get rid of the crap compliance fittings once and for all. The S&S intake also needed a little bit of cleaning up inside with a dremel. I replaced a Screaming Eagle intake with that S&S, and the SE was a lot cleaner from the factory. That was several years ago on the S&S, so hard to say what comes today, but if the inside of the intake isn't smooth and/or you can see casting marks, just get in there with a dremel tool and the sanding drum until it's all smooth, then rough it up a bit with like some 300 grit sandpaper and call it good.

I bought another S&S specifically for the Sportster. It really didn't work out. Too much carb for an 883, came really, really rich, etc. I think that the difference in the years and models they sell is strictly for the mounting hardware and not the carb.

Anyway, get some extra jets when you order it. You'll need them to dial it in. The 265 and 64 worked well with my stock cam, ad that's what I had in when I tuned it. I didn't have to change them when I went with the Andrews EV1. I don't know how many miles you have, but my original cam and 1 lifter were shot at about 60K.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:01 AM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you register on J&p or DennisKirk, you can put in your year and model of bike and then it'll pull up parts that fit your bike. If you have any doubts they have a tab labeled "fitment" that verifies the years and models that the part fits. Good websites like these also list the manufacturers part numbers that you can use to try and get better deals elsewhere. Ebay, for instance. I wouldn't necessarily trust ebay sellers to be correct about fitment.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:37 AM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 275 Likes on 202 Posts

I like the Super E carb. Simple carburetor and they work quiet well. I've never had one ever give me trouble. Definately buy new whatever you do.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:53 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts

1. Is the S&S Super "E" the one I should buy ?

Yes - the E is for stock sized 80" big twins.
Only use the "G" if you have a really big motor to take advantage of it, the "B" has a long carb body and you definitly do not need it.

2. I should buy in new right/not used off Ebay ? New
As least NEW I'm have a warrenty.

3. How hard is it to install the new S&S ? Not hard at all as long as you get the intake manifold, h/w spacers, etc for your bike. I have a 89 bottom breather Evo and use the one piece S&S intake manifold with the S&S E carb. Works great !
I'm pretty handy with tools. then you will be totally fine.

4. Do I have to buy the S&S from a dealership ? Never bad to buy it from you local S&S dealer - helps if you have questions or need parts.

As far as the cruise control stuff - I'd recommend just to get a standard S&S carb and use the throttle lock on the stock carb to deal with the times that you need to rest your throttle hand on long rides.

Quick Reply: What S&S Carb Do I Buy ~ ~ CONFUSED