Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Evo Classic Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Evo Classic Models All Evo Models
Sponsored by: J&M Motorcycle Audio

P

Old 04-23-2012, 04:10 AM
One Of The Regulars
Default backfiring......

Went for a spin yesterday, about 120miles or so. After maybe 80 started to rain heavy so stopped for coffee for a half hour or so. Very heavy rain during that time and bike was not covered at all.
Came out and headed off. It started loud backfiring and missing very badly for about 15 mins. If I kept speed around 45/50ish, not too bad, but try to accelerate and put load on engine, no hope. Would start and idle no problem.
Obviously, after that time it dried out and ran like its brilliant self.
Just wondering if anyone could point me in right direction of where water got in?
I feel it may have been ignition switch which is the old mechanical type,but any other suggestions or experiences welcome.

As usual, thanks to all who may reply.

TC

1986 FLSTC. 1340, S&S carb, Scremin Eagle Ignition Module, EV27, 2 1/4" Straight Thru pipes with Khrome Werks Baffles.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:20 AM
Prospect

Check the coil for cracks in the housing and the wires for splits or wear. Problems like this can be difficult, persist and you'll find it.

If I can add one other thing...once you've found the problem. Protect all your electrical connections with a dab of dielectric grease. It's silicon based, will not become alkaline or acidic over time and will keep connectors waterproof and free of corosion.

All the best
Old 04-23-2012, 04:28 AM
One Of The Regulars

thanks for quick reply, fxd_1.

One other bit of info. I did ride for about 15 minutes in torrential rain, so water could have been "forced" in somewhere!!!!!!!

1986 FLSTC. 1340, S&S carb, Scremin Eagle Ignition Module, EV27, 2 1/4" Straight Thru pipes with Khrome Werks Baffles.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:28 AM

P