EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Without valve comp. tool EVO look see

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 10:27 AM
Pinetop
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Without valve comp. tool EVO look see

98 dyna EVO, doing a top end and just tested the head not involved in the broken valve issue and water seeped through the seating of the intake valve. How do I open the valve cylinder to see if there is an obstruction rather than a bad seat? I do not have a HD valve compression tool.

Pine top

Old 09-21-2012, 04:22 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are doing a top end job you need to remove the valve springs. They can be removed be taking a 5/8" deep socket and a hammer. Put the socket on the retainer and give it a medium whack with the hammer. The retainer will go down and the retainers will pop out after a whack or two. Now you will need a tool to put it back together, or the shop that does your valves could do it. Hope this helps.
John

Old 09-21-2012, 04:54 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You dont need an expensive official HD valve compressor tool.
Go to any auto supply store and purchase the tool you require for 20 - 30 bucks .
Describe to the parts guy what you need etc. so you get the proper one for your application.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:02 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forgot to mention Pinetop ., if the seats arent to bad and lapping is all thats required you can purchase the lapper tool and compound at same store for 15 - 20 bucks .
Again , describe to the parts dude what you are wanting to accomplish.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:05 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,234 Likes on 5,406 Posts

I use a c-clamp with a die grinder wrench welded to it.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:22 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

Some auto parts stores will rent tools too!!!
John

Old 09-23-2012, 03:31 PM
Pinetop
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, the machine shop where I am taking my jugs for a honing said he would take care of the valves on the old head. He is a Harley owner and said he would do that for free. Someone who claimed he was helping me removed the bolts attaching the cam cover on the right and instead of marking where the bolts came from handed them to me and said we could figure out how to put them back later. Well it is later and he is not here does anyone know how they go or is there somewhere I can look. The manual tells us to mark them before taking them off but does not offer a way to fix the problem when that is not done. Some are longer than the others and I do not want to mistakenly put one in the wrong hole.(Ha Ha).

I borrowed a tool from Autozone to check the new head and valves to see how it was accomplished.

Pinetop

Old 09-23-2012, 03:45 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by miacycles
If you are doing a top end job you need to remove the valve springs. They can be removed be taking a 5/8" deep socket and a hammer. Put the socket on the retainer and give it a medium whack with the hammer. The retainer will go down and the retainers will pop out after a whack or two. Now you will need a tool to put it back together, or the shop that does your valves could do it. Hope this helps.
John
Beat me to it. One thing to add to this technique. Put a rag over the socket to keep the keepers from flying across the room. Been on my hands and knee's to learn this trick.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:22 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

Look in the parts manual for the part numbers and the locations. Then go to the back of the manual and look up the number. It will have the sizes there. Ask your dealer if you can look at their's.
John

Old 09-23-2012, 07:46 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

No biggie trying to figure out which length bolt goes where, just put the cam cover in position and put the bolts in but don`t tighten them, when they are in the correct position, they will all have the same amount of bolt exposed.

Or drop them into the holes of the uninstalled cover, the exposed ends of the bolts should be the same length.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 09-23-2012 at 07:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Without valve comp. tool EVO look see