EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Hayden M6 Primary Chain Tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 04:23 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts
Default Hayden M6 Primary Chain Tensioner

Anybody installed a Hayden M6 Primary Chain Tensioner?

http://www.haydensm6.com/m6_bt65.htm

I installed one about a year ago and recently heard my primary chain slapping so I took apart the primary to find out why and found that the big spring had deformed and no longer held tension on the chain.

I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine came with one. Last year I had to add a shim-(home made out of an old road sign)-That shim put me over the limit but I was fine all year and will probably replace the chain this winter.

Springs are a common issue and I ordered a set before I took it apart for the shim, mine were fine-they wanted alot of money for the shims. If I had the old manual shoe and hardware I would put it back on and be done with the M6.

Ds

Old 10-09-2012, 04:54 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by Doug S
Springs are a common issue and I ordered a set before I took it apart for the shim, mine were fine-they wanted alot of money for the shims. If I had the old manual shoe and hardware I would put it back on and be done with the M6.
Yeah I was thinking about putting in the OEM equipment but I called Hayden and they are sending me a couple sets of springs for free so I think I will give them another chance.

Were your shims scarred up at all?

Old 10-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

No, the top shim had a small mark where the spring sits, maybe yours is marred because the spring was screwed up.

It's nice not having to adjust the chain and I have no clunk or slop at slow speeds but my chain is stretched at 35K, that's a first for me. I've been watching ebay for a used manual setup but nothing yet and a new one with all the parts is more than it's worth.

Ds

Old 10-09-2012, 05:46 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Thanks for the warning about the stretched chain at 35k.
For a used manual chain tensioner try calling Buds Motorcycle Shop at 512-472-8658.

They regularly buy wrecked bikes and take them apart for parts.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:25 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I have an M6 but haven't had any problems with it yet. I must say it is one of those things that made a noticable improvement when I installed it and continues to make the bike nicer to ride.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:34 AM
Wakko47
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

My chain is pretty badly stretched at 11k. I anticipate a chain swap in the near future. :/

Old 10-10-2012, 08:35 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by Wakko47
My chain is pretty badly stretched at 11k. I anticipate a chain swap in the near future. :/
Are you using the M6?

Old 10-10-2012, 08:40 AM
Wakko47
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Nope, bone stock. Bought the bike with 11k from the original owner, who did his own maintenance...or lack thereof. Oil was black as coal, drain plug stripped (engine oil). Cleaned it out, pulled the inspection cover and derby and had to snug the adjuster to the max setting to get the chain within spec. I did it on the ground, so I wonder if I should do it again on the lift? I figure next time it's out of adjustment, I can't adjust it anymore and will need to change it out. I hope it's not too bad of a job, but I do have the manual.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:45 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by Wakko47
Nope, bone stock. Bought the bike with 11k from the original owner, who did his own maintenance...or lack thereof. Oil was black as coal, drain plug stripped (engine oil). Cleaned it out, pulled the inspection cover and derby and had to snug the adjuster to the max setting to get the chain within spec. I did it on the ground, so I wonder if I should do it again on the lift? I figure next time it's out of adjustment, I can't adjust it anymore and will need to change it out. I hope it's not too bad of a job, but I do have the manual.
The job is fairly easy. You really need an air compressor and an impact wrench to get it apart though. If you don't have either you will need a 5 foot breaker bar.

Quick Reply: Hayden M6 Primary Chain Tensioner