EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1988 FLHTC questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 04:08 PM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 1988 FLHTC questions

Hi folks, I'm an EVO guy for life. I just traded my sweet 1991 Heritage Softail for a 1988 Electraglide Classic:

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/...ps79ffeca8.jpg

I have always serviced my own bike and spent a few hours today detailing this bike. Still needs some attention but, she's looking really good right now. I have a couple of questions if you wouldn't mind.

1). Where is the oil drain? I found the oil filter under the bike right off but, I can't figure out where the drain for the oil tank is located. I have a supply of chrome oil filters for my old Heritage, I assume they fit on this bike.

2). Am I safe to assume that both the primary and transmission take a quart each? I also have a supply of HD dino tranny/primary oil.

3). There is a shrader valve on the end of the left handlebar. What the heck is that?

4). What are fork and rear shock pressures?

5). There is a little **** over the volt meter on the left side of the fairing, is that to reset the odometer?

6). Has anyone here had an Electraglide Classic seat recovered? How did it work out? This one is tan, vinyl and has some small cracks that don't really look that bad but, I know me and I won't be able to live with it. Of course this will require having the passenger backrest recovered and the driver's backrest.

Thanks a bunch. I'm going to order a service book but, in the mean time..

Old 01-20-2013, 06:37 PM
Kushman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome,

Nice ride look Very clean.
I have an 85 and love it.

1). Where is the oil drain? Take the right side cover off you will see the drain at the bottom of the bag. I have a supply of chrome oil filters for my old Heritage, I assume they fit on this bike. Cross reference parts, not sure.

2). primary (Aprox. 1.5 Quarts I fill to cover bottom of spring) transmission 1 Pint?. Type is a personal thing if you like it use it.

3). There is a shrader valve on the end of the left handlebar. What the heck is that? Front Air suspension I think, normally it is on the engine guard.

4). What are fork and rear shock pressures? 1psi for every 25lbs over 150lbs I weigh 220 and run them at around 4-6psi on the rear (front have been changed) and will add for extra wight. NOT over 25psi and use a low volume hand pump to be safe.

5). There is a little **** over the volt meter on the left side of the fairing, is that to reset the odometer? Not sure dont have a dash.

6). No just got a new seat ebay.

I'm going to order a service book but, in the mean time..Get the parts book as well it was recommended to me and I use it a LOT, pictures lol.
Cheers

Old 01-20-2013, 08:07 PM
falconbrother
Road Master

I appreciate it. My service book will be here in a week to ten days. The indie dealer that I bought the bike from says that the previous owner used synthetic fluids and the dealer says the first thing I ought to do is drain those out and replace with all new fluids, dino only. I figure I'll just use the dip sticks to measure the tranny and engine, fill the primary to the bottom of the clutch basket. The weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow so, I'll change the fluids in the morning and ride for a bit.

The spark plugs look like they have been there for a while. I'll change those out too. I'll just use HD plugs for that.

Thanks again for the information.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:17 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,100 Likes on 1,913 Posts

Originally Posted by Kushman
Welcome,

Nice ride look Very clean.
I have an 85 and love it.

1). Where is the oil drain? Take the right side cover off you will see the drain at the bottom of the bag. I have a supply of chrome oil filters for my old Heritage, I assume they fit on this bike. Cross reference parts, not sure.

2). primary (Aprox. 1.5 Quarts I fill to cover bottom of spring) transmission 1 Pint?. Type is a personal thing if you like it use it.

3). There is a shrader valve on the end of the left handlebar. What the heck is that? Front Air suspension I think, normally it is on the engine guard.

4). What are fork and rear shock pressures? 1psi for every 25lbs over 150lbs I weigh 220 and run them at around 4-6psi on the rear (front have been changed) and will add for extra wight. NOT over 25psi and use a low volume hand pump to be safe.

5). There is a little **** over the volt meter on the left side of the fairing, is that to reset the odometer? Not sure dont have a dash.

6). No just got a new seat ebay.

I'm going to order a service book but, in the mean time..Get the parts book as well it was recommended to me and I use it a LOT, pictures lol.
Cheers
A little help here, I had an 88 FLHTC
#1 I always took off the right side bag, that makes it easy to drain oil and you can check battery at the same time. And yes the drain is under the side cover.
#3 yes its for front suspention air.
#5 yes, odometer reset.

That bike looks great, enjoy it.

Last edited by perki48; 01-20-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:24 PM
bluharley
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just an FYI. I think it was 1992 when they started just filling the primary to the bottom of the clutch basket. My shop manual specifically says to fill to the bottom of the inspection window. That is a big difference in the amount of fluid. One shop I used to go to filled to the bottom of the clutch basket, and my plates started squealing.

pg 6-26
NOTE
On 1989 and earlier models, fill to bottom of clutch inspection opening. On 1990 motorcycles fill to the bottom edge of the diaphragm spring (2 3/4" from the center of clutch adjusting screw)

Old 01-21-2013, 07:29 AM
falconbrother
Road Master

I appreciate it.

Not to start another discussion but, the indie dealer said that the previous owner used all synthetic oils in this bike. The dealer suggested that I take it home and change all the fluids and get rid of the synthetic oils which is what I intend to do.

This guy opened a Harley dealership in 1974. He was bought out in 1999-ish. Then went and opened an indie shop. So, he knows the recent history of HD pretty well. He hates synthetic oils and thinks it's a rip off and bad for your bike. But, his biggest complaint is that he claims it starts to seep out of the engine, primary and transmission once you've been riding on it a while. He claims that when HD first came out with synthetic oils they didn't recommend that you put it in your motorcycle. He told me that a dealer friend of his says they push it because the dealership makes ten bucks a quart on it. This guy tells me that it's better for all years of Harley to run standard oils and change it when you're supposed to.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:50 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,100 Likes on 1,913 Posts

If it already has syn in it I would probably keep using it. But it would not harm it if you went to a good quality dino oil. Each of us have preferences and I don't believe any of us are really "wrong". Its true that an older bike that has been running dino may leak if changed to syn but that is because the gaskets are bad, not because syn is bad. if your bike isn't leaking now use what you want.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:51 PM
JetskiMark
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations on your '88. I really like mine.

The factory shop manual calls for 10 to 20 PSI in the forks. I run 10.

The shock specs are 0 to 10 PSI. I run 5 for my 180 pounds and with all of the stuff in my bags. I run 10 with a passenger.

The specs for the primary are 1.5 quarts and the trans 1 pint.

Mine holds 2 quarts in the primary with the bike level and 20 ounces in the trans according to the dip stick.

Best of luck with your FLHTC.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:20 PM
1/2crazedbikr
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Good luck with your 1988 FLHTC. Hope you enjoy it half as much as I enjoy mine!

Looks like you've got all your questions answered so here's a pic of my old girl with the trunk off. I like the clean look she's got that way. But then again I like her with the trunk on too!

Anyway ride safe and enjoy the new ride!

Attached Thumbnails 1988 FLHTC questions-2012-12-29_17-07-32_732_zps9dfcae79.jpg  
Old 01-21-2013, 07:55 PM
falconbrother
Road Master

Just finished changing my fluids (except forks and brakes, I'll do those later). I'm glad I went ahead and did it. The motor oil was about to it's limits from the looks of things. No over I don't think but, ready for some fresh oil. The darn oil filter was a bear to get off. I had to destroy it with a big pair of channel locks to get it off of there. In the primary was red transmission fluid. That doesn't bother me in the least as it works perfectly good (type F). In fact, I decided that since it was riding so smoothly to just go back with type F, a little more than a quart and a half. But, much to my surprise, I found red transmission fluid in the transmission. It was shifting fine and not making metal so, I'm not fretting over it. I put premium 85-90 gear oil back in there. It took exactly 20 ounces.

I had three quarts of HD primary tranny fluid but, decided to shelve that for now. On my heritage it didn't seem to shift as well on that oil. I think it's a 20-50.

When my service book gets here I'll do the forks. I'll do the brakes as soon as it's warmer out. The wind chill is supposed to be 2 degrees in a couple of hours.

Quick Reply: 1988 FLHTC questions