EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Brake light diagram anyone? 1986 flhtc brake light inop.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 01:14 PM
watindes
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake light diagram anyone? 1986 flhtc brake light inop.

Noticed last night after new clutch install (went very well by the way). I need a diagram to start testing. I have checked the bulb (new) and installed a new starter relay just to be safe.
How should I begin testing and does my bike have one or two brake light switches, I can see one going out but both are not illuminating the light.

Thank you

Jesse

Old 09-16-2013, 01:20 PM
bluharley
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would just start tracing the wires back from the tail light. If neither the front or the rear switch is getting a signal to the bulb, it must be a common line that is broken. Try running a ground directly to the frame. If it still doesn't work, start following the hot line, probably goes to a common relay. Can't help with the diagram.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:05 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

pop off the seat and check the harness that is going to the assembly out back. softail is a 6pin harness with the female side having all six wires but the fender + male side has only 4. 1 run, 2 brake, 3 left & 4 right directional. road glide is a 1998 so maybe different but principle will be the same. pop off seat and look for the loom that is going to the rear taillight assembly. mine is on the left side, under side panel iirc.
look for something obvious first like a disconnected wire or break. I say this because unless your brake light is constantly on, meaning a switch, then there is a fundamental reason the brake light aint on.
dorman makes $3 bulb sockets that fit right into the bulb holder. the softail actually had the gasket/bushing dry then die so this quickly shaved then cut the wires.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:08 PM
watindes
Cruiser

I am trying to figure out how/where the power comes from and its path, dont believe the circut is getting fed power....

Jesse

Old 09-16-2013, 03:16 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Check at the plug under the left side cover. Then it runs down the fender strut/fender to the light. Is the tail light on, just not the brake light working? Do the hazard and turn signals work? It is all supplied off the same Orange feed. You have 2 brake light switches, one at the handlebar and one pressure switch in the rear brake line under the bike. Try shorting that one and see if the light comes on.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:27 PM
watindes
Cruiser

the running lights are working fine, the brake lights are not coming on. How should I short it out, are these switches provided with constant power? I am going to play with the foot pedal switch as it is the easiest to access.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:37 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

The switch for the foot pedal is a screw in pressure switch with 2 wires going to it on flag connectors. Just short across the 2 terminals and the light should come on. The terminal with the orange wires on it should have +12V on it when the ignition is on.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:59 PM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,818 Likes on 1,761 Posts

check pm's

Old 09-16-2013, 04:00 PM
watindes
Cruiser

Went and tested it, I have 12v at the orange wire and when jumped all brake lights come on. Could it really be that there is no redundant safety circuit? What I mean is that if one switch goes like on the hand brake or in my case the foot brake, that no brakes lights will work.

To sum it up, orange has power and when jumped I have brake lights

Old 09-16-2013, 04:06 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

If the light comes on when you jumper the rear switch, but doesn't come on when you stomp on the brake, then the switch is bad. It might be that both your switches are bad but you didn't notice it until both went out. They do go out occasionally. I've put a new rear switch on my bike.

Next up: Pull the handlebar assembly apart and do the same test at the brake switch there.

Quick Reply: Brake light diagram anyone? 1986 flhtc brake light inop.