EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1992 Softail Trunk installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 10:05 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,285 Likes on 6,250 Posts

Originally Posted by jn2jhavens
Prot that is a really nice bag, but I don't have any holes in my sissy bar to mount the luggage rack as mentioned by THC.
The roll around bag with the spandex sleeve fits ok on the passenger pad, but I like having options. My next purchase is going to be this:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/sport-luggage-rack

If you click on the fitment tab, it shows all the bikes it fits, and it is a long list, going all the way back to 1986. I figure if the bag fits OK on the passenger pad, then it should fit great on that rack.

There are cheaper places to buy it of course. I mostly use Harley's site to find the part number then I start googling that part number until I find a good deal.

The roll around bag is way cheaper and has more capacity than the Heritage tour pack that I linked to. The piping and a few other places are made out of reflective material, so it helps other people see you at night without looking gaudy.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:16 PM
Prot
Club Member

I just picked that rack up on ebay, used but still in great shape for $46.05 plus $14.47 shipping for a total of $60.52 which is less than half of what it sells for new. I am pretty happy about that. FWIW, the price was stuck at $20 until just before the auction ended. It would be have been great to get it at that price, but I still think this was a good deal.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:45 PM
jn2jhavens
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That rack says it will fit the 92 FLSTC, so that is definitely a direction I will take a look at and it looks good. Still seems odd that know one really knows what is different on the 92 versus the 93 for the tour pak mounting bracket. It doesn't hook to the sissy bar, so I am wondering if the bolt locations were moved in 93 and later. Thanks for the help.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:10 PM
Prot
Club Member

That rack says it will fit the 92 FLSTC, so that is definitely a direction I will take a look at and it looks good. Still seems odd that know one really knows what is different on the 92 versus the 93 for the tour pak mounting bracket. It doesn't hook to the sissy bar, so I am wondering if the bolt locations were moved in 93 and later. Thanks for the help.
I'll post pictures when I get it installed on my 95 FLSTC.

Man it seems like I have a lot of upgrades being done in a short time. I am excited.

Engine performance enhancements, new seat, new luggage rack and luggage, and I am going to be working on refurbishing my saddlebags. They are looking saggy. Maybe they need some implants

Old 09-30-2013, 05:37 AM
Old-Evo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if this will work on a 92 but it worked great on my 95 FLSTC, something Harley said could never be done. I bolted my trunk to the rack and I had a very good quick release setup for when I travelled. The only thing I had to buy new from Harley was a set of 4 quick release tabs (see the third picture.) It was from a much newer model, and here is were the parts guys said it would never work but it surely did. It worked better than I ever thought.

Attached Thumbnails 1992 Softail Trunk installation-p1000901.jpg   1992 Softail Trunk installation-p1000906.jpg   1992 Softail Trunk installation-p1000908.jpg   1992 Softail Trunk installation-trunk-on-bike.jpg   1992 Softail Trunk installation-cu-trunk-on-bike.jpg  

Last edited by Old-Evo; 09-30-2013 at 05:46 AM.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:50 AM
traildog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 702 Likes on 353 Posts
Old 09-30-2013, 01:08 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,319 Likes on 1,947 Posts

That ain't even leather
Constructed of UV-, water-, and weather-resistant 1200 denier Saddle Tuff™
and leather-like vinyl panels

Old 04-18-2014, 08:00 AM
jn2jhavens
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Finally complete

Okay, after a few months of collecting parts here is what I came up with in case anyone is interested.
1. Purchased p/n 53209-09 which is the leather tour pak with classic styling (or with studs to be exact)
2. Purchased p/n 54051-08 which is the two up mounting bracket for the tour pak listed for a 2000 and new bike. This component comes with the spacers required to mount this bracket which is detachable, but did not come with the hardware.
3. Purchased a quick release kit for detachable saddlebags from Cyclevisions, it was called their bare backs cv-141 kit, listed for 84-89 FLSTC bikes with detachable sissy bar. This kit comes with the mounting hardware required for the spacers and allowed me to make the saddle bags detachable as well. It also comes with the spacers, but they don't fit the tour pak mount and would need to have the spacer material turned on a lathe to make them work.
4. Purchased p/n 53784-98 it is called a cover tube for the luggage rack. This I used to hide the weld on the front tube of the rack.

Once I had all the parts, the spacers that come with item # 2 had to be drilled out about .020" so the the bolts that came with item #3 would go through them.

The spacing for the mounting bracket lined up perfect for my 92 as far as the mounting studs are located for the saddle bags. But the width of the bracket is way off. So to fix that I cut out exactly 2 1/8" from the middle of the mounting bracket and then tig welded it back together. I did this in a knee mill so that both parts could be mated back together and be straight. Hint: Bolt it down to something, I used a piece of aluminum, so that it doesn't spring or move on you while you're cutting it. You can also use this in the next few steps.

Then I drilled a couple of small holes and pinned the parts to the aluminum plate and bolted them back down after moving them together so that when they were welded they couldn't move.

Prior to mounting everything for welding I placed a piece of round stock into the tube at the front of the rack and slid the pieces over it so that it would help line everything up. I actually did this prior to moving the pieces together and re-mounting them to the aluminum plate to weld them up.

Then welded the parts up. If you purchase the harley part listed above mine was stainless and not chromed steel, so if you use the right material to weld it then you can carefully grind and polish the bracket a bit and can hardly tell what you have done.

Once welded it was placed back in the mill and the holes to mount the tour pak were re-drilled at 1 1/16" further out on the plates that mount the tour pak.

(Prior to mounting the tour pak to the bracket I placed item #4 other the front tube to hide the seam from welding the two halves back together.)

This allowed the tour pak to mount directly to the bracket and then slide right on to the mounting studs. This looks completely factory, which was the look I was going for. I appreciate all the comments on the other options that everyone put into this thread, but after a few months of collecting parts from places other than the dealer and some good old ingenuity I came up with something that I think anyone can do. I am not sure how to post pictures of it, but if someone would like to see it, let me know.
Thanks again for all the help.

Attached Thumbnails 1992 Softail Trunk installation-tour-pak.jpg  

Last edited by jn2jhavens; 04-18-2014 at 08:14 AM. Reason: I forgot to add item #4
Old 04-18-2014, 08:24 AM
traildog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 702 Likes on 353 Posts

That looks Factory! Great job!

BTW, how do you like your 2 into 1's?

Old 04-18-2014, 10:48 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,231 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Prot,
What do you mean by wheel around? I have been looking at the components that you have link for, but have been looking for used ones where the rack is coming with the trunk. I just couldn't find anything that would show it fitting a 92.
THC and Cowboy mention putting it on the luggage rack, but I don't have one on my bike and the dealer told me that they did not make one for the 92. He stated that it was an odd transition year and that the 93 and up were different somehow and he couldn't actually explain what was different. So I figured it would have to be the mounting bracket that the rear fender mounts to on each side. I have the sissy bar for the two up but no where to mount a luggage rack that I can see.
Dealer is wrong. Accessory catalog for '92 shows a chrome 4 channel luggage rack kit that attaches to the factory sissy bar.

Part number is 56465-86. In the description it says it does not fit 87-91 FLSTC modles with stock production welded one piece sisybar/sideplates. from the looks it appears as thought there should be holes on the inside? of your sisybar where the rack attaches.

Additionaly there is a chrome 3 channle luggage rack that fits '84-'92 FLSTC models and is engineered to fit models with or without chrome sideplate uprights. This is 53465-87A. FXSTC, FXSTS and FLSTF models require directional support changes.

Quick Reply: 1992 Softail Trunk installation