EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Talked to builder today, even more confused now.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 09:42 PM
HarDlife
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Talked to builder today, even more confused now.

Builder called today and said he had the case and flywheels apart, and that everything looked fine. Went over to shop to take a look and talk more about the low oil pressure situation. He said there is a little wear on bearings but nothing major, same for the cam and pinion shaft bushings. I believe he said pinion bushing was under .003, most importantly it and everything else was within specs. Crankpin and rods are perfect (his words). Also said absolutely no indication of metal going through the big end or the pump. He's going to replace the rod and timken bearings since we're already there, and lapping the rods to fit the new rollers.

I asked what could be causing the low pressure then, and he said only things he could suggest (without having complete motor there) was that oil pump is not in specs (even though he said it looked okay), or the pressure relief valve could be stuck open.

I know you guys have said that the pressure relief valve couldn't cause low pressure, but he doesn't seem to agree. I came home and examined the oil pump closely (the plunger was REALLY stuck at the bottom of the seat), and it seems to me if it were to get stuck open it could bleed off pressure, especially at idle, when the pump is at it's lowest volume/pressure. With the exception of just having a weak/bad pump, nothing else makes sense. I really don't want to put it back together and still have the same problem, but at the same time I don't want to buy a bunch of parts I can't afford/don't need.

BTW, he agrees that sabotage is the only logical theory for the metal particles.

Last edited by HarDlife; 10-02-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:50 PM
92Fatty
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad nothing major was found. Get her back together and enjoy it. How much is a new pump?

Old 10-02-2013, 10:40 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

Pressure relief totally can cause the loss if it is stuck....I think you found the answer....maybe metal particles caused it to stick open.

There are a couple of deep grooves in that cam chest bush but if its within limits then leave it in but bear in mind a soft bush like that can absorb metal particles and effectively sandpaper the crank pinion....your choice but I would be replacing it regardless.