EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Opinions on factory remanufacturing

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 11:57 PM
TheBanditColorado
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on factory remanufacturing

So I saw that Harley Davidson will remanufacture your motor up to factory specifications and include a 1 year warranty.

Here's the brochure
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...eman_broch.pdf

On an Evo engine you pay $2,895 and the dealer will pull the motor and ship it to the factory. Approximately 2 weeks until you ride again. Anyone do this? What is your opinion?

step 1: disassembly
Engine components that can be cleaned and remanufactured to original specifications are saved; others are discarded.

step 2: Cleaning and powder Coating
Reusable parts are cleaned and paint is removed. After inspection, parts are powder- coated to original factory standards.

step 3: machining
Parts are machined, bored, and honed to exact tolerances. Only components that meet our strict standards make it this far.

step 4: reassemBly
All components are meticulously reassembled and upgraded to meet the latest specifications while retaining its stock configuration.
step 5: testing and FinisHing
After passing a battery of tests, your engine is awarded a one- year, Unlimited Mileage Factory Warranty.

Approximately two weeks after its journey began, your V-twin is returned to your dealer for reinstallation with a new lease on life and its original VIN.

I assume this price including labor at the dealer… but I could be wrong.

Last edited by TheBanditColorado; 11-12-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:16 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

I had a factory reman done on my 05 RK under the extended warranty. Cost me $50 total.

Ran like new.

After it was broken in, I did a Stage II upgrade, and it ran better.

If I were paying for it, especially on an evo, I would go with an S&S engine.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 11-12-2013, 06:07 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

A number of members around HDF have bought them. Ignore those steps you mention, what you get back is a fresh motor, with your VIN on it. If your current engine has any tuning goodies in it, such as cams, ported heads, etc, you say goodbye to all that, as you get back a bone stock motor. However it will be to latest spec, for example all TC88s come with SE hydraulic cam chain adjusters.

I understand that S&S actually does this programme on behalf of the MoCo, so whether you go with one of their bigger motors or a stock factory one, you will have an 'S&S'! I have one of their V107T's in my 1990 bike, below, which has been superseded by the V111, both tuned as touring engines and giving a little over 100/100. I can recommend them!

Last edited by grbrown; 11-12-2013 at 06:17 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:10 AM
HarDlife
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it's a pretty good deal. Things to consider:
It's reconditioned at the moco, comes with a warranty, and you keep your #'s matched engine (if that matters to you).

I don't think that price includes r&r. Could be wrong, though.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:20 AM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

I wonder if it includes the Carb and stator. For instance my carb is set up for a stage two motor, usless for a stocker and getting a stator in and out without it leaking probably won't happen, Id want a new one. Also, what if your chrome is crappy, do they replace that??

Ds

Old 11-12-2013, 07:51 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,816 Likes on 1,760 Posts

No carb, manifold or stator, labor not included.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:31 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

I had it done about 10 years ago and when it was all said and done, out the door cost was around $3800. It was basicly a new motor. They replaced the stator and the motor mounts, and charge you for every screw, nut , bolt and washer they use. Including the paper towels the tech uses to wipe his hands. The chrome covers were replaced also. as stated they come with a 1 year warranty. If they dealer had rebuilt he motor, it would be only 30 days, and only good at that dealer. The 1 yr warranty is good at any dealer in the US. And I was also told any performance parts would be lost. You get a 100% stock EPA compliant motor back. With all the current upgrades. Afterwards I was thinking for the same money I could have bought a bigger motor with more HP and torque, with the same warranty for about the same money, But the Harley motor ran fine with no problems, and the only changes I made was a EV-27 cam. I was Happy when it was all said and done.,,

Old 11-12-2013, 08:44 AM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Tallahassee Harley Davidson (formerly Capital City HD) quoted me about $4500 OTD after it was all said and done... I can put in an ultima 96" shovel into this bike of mine for that amount. If you just want a stock evo with a decent warranty, it's worth it I'd say... but if you're looking to save money or get more "bang" for your buck, there are better options.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:51 AM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 1988 evo

I have a factory refurbish engine in my 1988 FLHTC. The engine has about 30,000 on it. The bike has 94,000 total as of this reading. The engine is perfect. They say it was done in the winter of 04-05. I had the paperwork someplace. I bought the bike last year. They told me that the engine was basically a 1999 model when it left the factory. Runs great, last long time. While they had the engine out they redid the suspension with new swing arm busings and progressive fork springs. I had to replace the fork seals a couple of months ago and there are progressive springs in there.

Anyway, the engine is in perfect shape. I plan to put a whole lot of miles on it.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:32 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

S&S Cycle, Viola, Wis. performs those re-mans for the moco thru your local dealer.

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility