EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Chirp under load

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 07:10 PM
D1gger
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Chirp under load

I finally got to take Ruby out for a little ride today and there's a new noise that seems to be getting louder and louder. It's a chirping under load. It's only under acceleration or going up a hill, doesn't seem to be there when on the flats or down hill, unless I get on it. If I pull the clutch, it's gone, then I let the clutch out again and it's back.

I pulled into the garage and double checked everything. Oil is fine, primary level is good, no exhaust leaks that I could find, no drips of any kind, tranny a little low, but not dry. I topped it off, and it took less than 1/4 quart and went for a short ride up the street and back and the noise is still there.

If I remember correctly, this noise was starting last fall, but it was never this loud. Everything in the primary seems to working right and the engine seems to be running fine, so I am thinking perhaps a spun bearing in the tranny? I've never torn into a transmission yet and don't really look forward to doing it, but if I have to then I have to.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions about where to start looking and at what?

Old 03-11-2014, 07:28 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

it is an exhaust leak - you could try and remove the 4 nuts on the pipes to the heads - loosen the brackets under those nuts and spray WD 40 behind all of it - wiggel it around than re install the 4 nuts Caution do not over tight them --

you might have a partial blown gasket and by doing that if it goes away its all good - if it gets worse than you have to remove the complete exhaust to replace the head pipe donuts -- it is worth the shot - jz

The following users liked this post:
PaulG75 (06-25-2021)
Old 03-11-2014, 07:32 PM
D1gger
Road Captain

Why does it go away when I pull the clutch but maintain the same RPM?

Old 03-11-2014, 07:34 PM
bluharley
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I chased a chirp for a lng time, paid an ******* $300 to replace a primary chain that didn't need changing (and I don't think he really changed it), same ******* wanted my credit card to do a $3000 transmission job. Turned out to be teeth missing on the belt. When the bad part hit the pully, "chirp"! Got a belt off a wrecked bike for $25, did the work myself.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:41 PM
HarDlife
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Clutch release bearing (like throw out bearing on cage)? Just a guess, I don't know squat about a Harley tranny...

Old 03-11-2014, 07:52 PM
D1gger
Road Captain

Well it doesn't seem to do it in first, seems worse in 4th and slight in 5th..

Old 03-11-2014, 08:02 PM
V-Twins & Bowties
Road Warrior
Received 505 Likes on 278 Posts

Might be your muffler rubber mounts under the bags. Quick test for it would be to spray some WD40 on them real well and road test. No noise you'll know. If it is this only good fix is new ones as the lube will disapate and noise will return.

This old of a bike you should check your hiem joints and front mount.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:11 PM
D1gger
Road Captain

Mounts and heims just replaced after the engine reman. I will look into the exhaust closer, but it's got fresh donuts in there from the recent reman. I would love it if it were something so simple as the exhaust, though...

Old 03-11-2014, 08:19 PM
shaker
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm chasing a similar gremlin right now. Had to replace the IAC due to erratic high idle. I had to remove the Fuel Induction Module and after reinstalling I now have a high pitch chirp on acceleration. Seems to happen more in 4,5 and 6th gear on hard acceleration. It only happens for a second or two. I removed the module and checked everything and reinstalled but it's still there. I'm wondering if the fuel line from tank to module is sucking air and causing the noise. I'll let you know if I find the cause of mine.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:23 PM
HarDlife
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

GREMLINS!
Do you have a bell?

Quick Reply: Chirp under load