EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Winter snowball

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 09:19 AM
factorybuilt
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great job and thanks for the pic's. Enjoy!

Old 11-28-2014, 11:32 AM
Jasper86
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997bagger
This small paragraph is large to yourself and others around you that understand your journey. One note, if you ride thru Ohio, you may want to put some tape over that grin, the Ohio horsefly can do damage on a front tooth plus tastes bad, nice job my friend.

Another winter is coming, let's spend, spend, spend again

forget the horseflies, the armies of cicadas could damn near take you right off the bike at speed!

Old 11-28-2014, 07:39 PM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It's funny, I remember dragon flies being bad in Florida too. But, hadn't experienced on in 15yrs,until today.. damn thing caught me above the right eye, I remember them well now! Thanks!!

Old 12-19-2014, 07:45 AM
HGM
Road Warrior

So, after 15kmi, my speedo drive failed.. It broke the ear off at the wheel/rotor.. I believe it was because of the tension created by the cable having to route around the big brembo caliper.. Anyhow, we found a new +4" cable from Drag and it fits MUCH better.. Just wanted to throw that out there since some of you guys are looking at this type of mod..

Old 12-19-2014, 09:37 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,567 Likes on 2,891 Posts

Originally Posted by HGM
So, after 15kmi, my speedo drive failed.. It broke the ear off at the wheel/rotor.. I believe it was because of the tension created by the cable having to route around the big brembo caliper.. Anyhow, we found a new +4" cable from Drag and it fits MUCH better.. Just wanted to throw that out there since some of you guys are looking at this type of mod..
something learned with antique bikes

cable lube -- and the amount of drag it has on the works - 1920 harleys have bakerlite gearing for the drive gears on the rear wheel set up - and as such grease will strip off a 300 dollar set of gears in as little as 3 miles Sooo graphite powder is all that can be used and it lasts a long time -- if it should happen again well who knows

Old 12-19-2014, 09:48 PM
HGM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by johnjzjz

cable lube -- and the amount of drag it has on the works - 1920 harleys have bakerlite gearing for the drive gears on the rear wheel set up - and as such grease will strip off a 300 dollar set of gears in as little as 3 miles Sooo graphite powder is all that can be used and it lasts a long time -- if it should happen again well who knows

Interesting.. Unfortunately, I'll have to keep that in mind if I run into another issue.. I already lubed it up and installed it.. Having lubed many car speedo cables over the years, I never gave that any thought.. I'm hoping my issue was just because of the side loading caused by the caliper being in the way.. Thanks for the tip though!

Old 12-19-2014, 09:56 PM
johnod
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz

How do you get the powder in place, rub it on the cable?

Old 12-19-2014, 10:12 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,567 Likes on 2,891 Posts

Originally Posted by johnod
How do you get the powder in place, rub it on the cable?
like a babys bottom -- hahahahahha

the cable comes out of the casing and we clean the casing in the parts washer real good blow dry use brake clean as well

then the inner cable wash it real good -- when dry and clean then sprinkel the powder across the cable on a piece of news paper i also make a funnel for the casing, and then re assemble the works NOTE its at least a 3 sets of rubber glove job - you would not believe the mess the powder makes it gets on everything and the cable becomes an eeL

Old 12-19-2014, 10:49 PM
johnod
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Thank you, I will file that away for future use.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:16 PM
billzflhtc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Winter snowball

I had the same happen to me twice with the drives then got one that has been good 12000 miles, who knows. U didn't happen to stop at Gainesville Harley on the way to paradise did ya? to me they have been a great help with my 86, the parts guys and the service actually know about Evo's and are glad to find or fix what I cant.

Quick Reply: Winter snowball