EVO All Evo Model Discussion

ultima 113 engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 09:32 PM
1989 fxr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ultima 113 engine noise

I put an ultima 113 engine in my fxr a couple of year ago this season I am starting to get noise. I thought it was lifter put in new ones and check the clearance to the blocks. The noise did not change comes on at about 3100 rpm light load do not hear it on decel. I can not tell on a large load because the pipes are to loud and the noise is not that loud. I was told it could be piston slap so I put in new piston. out for a ride and I can hear the noise again. sounds like my front cyl almost like a lifter but more of a rattle the a lifter tick. Any thoughts?

Old 07-21-2014, 10:02 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

are you picking up any steel grains ( sparkels in the pan ) in the oil at changes - did you find steel dust that a magnet can pick up nose cone - oil tank have a magnet on the drain anything on it - did you cut the filter open and unroll the filters paper to see if its sheading steel --

Old 07-21-2014, 10:24 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you still get the noise with clutch engaged compared to disengaged? Is the primary chain adjusted properly? Compensators will make noise and even skip if there not torqued, as well they will collapse, ask me how I know?Noise transfers could be a number of different possibilities.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:33 AM
1989 fxr
Advanced

No steel in the oil I will cut the filter and check it. Compensator was torqued and locktite when installed. primary was adjusted as per the manual but I will pull the compensator off and check it as well as I will pull the clutch and basket and check the bearing too. I have tried the top end now I must find this before it does more damage. It dyno out at 115 hp and 120 ft/lbs torque when I had the tune up at 2000 km (1242 mil) only has 6500 km (4038 mil) now so with that much power I may have damaged my primary. I will let you know what I find must go back to work and will be out of town for a few days. thanks for the quick response

Old 07-22-2014, 03:18 PM
HarDlife
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it "pinging" that you are hearing, by any chance? Have you done anything to the bike to alter the state of tune since putting the motor in? Getting bad gas?

Old 07-22-2014, 03:18 PM
HarDlife
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Stupid double post.

Last edited by HarDlife; 07-22-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:11 PM
1989 fxr
Advanced

I pulled the filter and cut it open all looks ok. Then opened the primary found some play in the clutch hub bearing. I will replace the clutch hub bearing and compensator . The primary oil had some steel grains on the magnet so when I get the parts I will let you know how it works out.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:50 AM
individuallywrapped
Stage IV
Default Ultima Tapping Noise

Im having the same noises your mentioning. Ive 18000 miles on my 113. Though the tapping/lifter noise has been with this engine for about 15000 miles, not really loud, but noticeable enough to notice. All of which I changed out to Jims lifters and then to Velva touch lifter kit and still Have the lifter tapping noise. Until it got real loud and my engine stopped. When I tore into the engine. Looking under the valve covers for the very first time, since I purchased the engine new in 2009. I found what was the problem. It wasn't the lifters. But the rocker box centers were installed by an idiot at the factory that tightened the rocker center sections down beyond torque specs and also used the wrong sized washers underneath the hex bolts that retain the rocker rods from sliding out and also used washers that were the wrong diameter for the holes they were set in under the socket head bolts.

This is the cause of faulty craftsmanship performed by someone during assembly of my engine at the Ultima Engine plant.

The lifter tapping noise was the rocker hitting the valve cover.

I was very cautious when setting the adjustment on my adjustable pushrods. My adjustment had nothing to do with the metal fatigue/ failure. These parts, even though the engines block has Made in USA stamped on it. The parts that broke and cracked are made in China! The assembly of these parts in the engine was done state side. Built by someone that was a total idiot and didn't give a hoot about their craftsmanship!

Under the socket bolt is a washer ( one that didnt fit) and when the socket head bolt was tightened down. Caused hair line fractures in the aluminum.

Looking at the old washer, one can see that the bolts shoulder, where it attaches to the underside of the bolt head. When tightened down on the washer. The underside of the bolt head made an impression in the washer. Shows that someone over tightened the bolt to cause that impression in the washer.

Looking at this view you can plainly see that the washer used wasn't large enough in diameter.

I made new washers that cover and hold more area like it should have been done in the first place.

There are washers stuck down in these holes. Though my 1st intentions was to reuse the washers. I found that I couldn't pry them out of the holes!

If any one out there especially with a 113. Please check under your valve covers and look for hairline fractures in the rocker center boxes. I dont believe China is using the aircraft aluminum they are suppose to be using or Ultima isn't inspecting their wares. Either way. I would like to have whomever is seeing these defects in your engine to please post to me in an IM or in here. Ultima says they never seen my problem before. Its up to you ultima owners out there to take a look. its only 12 socket head bolts to remove to look under the valve covers.

Indy

Originally Posted by 1989 fxr
I put an ultima 113 engine in my fxr a couple of year ago this season I am starting to get noise. I thought it was lifter put in new ones and check the clearance to the blocks. The noise did not change comes on at about 3100 rpm light load do not hear it on decel. I can not tell on a large load because the pipes are to loud and the noise is not that loud. I was told it could be piston slap so I put in new piston. out for a ride and I can hear the noise again. sounds like my front cyl almost like a lifter but more of a rattle the a lifter tick. Any thoughts?

Old 08-20-2014, 12:02 PM
LowriderHarold
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 54 Posts

Wow, that sucks. Hope you can get it back on the road.

Ride Safe,
Harold

Old 08-20-2014, 01:18 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Looks like they used an impact not a torque wrench to install those bolts!!!!

Quick Reply: ultima 113 engine noise