EVO All Evo Model Discussion

GREAT article on Evos vs. twin cam-Enjoy!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 10:13 AM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I saw this article back when I was researching and thinking about buying an evo. Confirmed other things I had read which lead me to buying one. And I've found this information to be accurate.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:17 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by juiced03
Good points! Enjoyed the read. I'll keep both my Evos. 93 FXLR & 97 RK. I will be ditching the Magnetti Marelli efi on the RK switch to carb. It has no soul and its a pita to tune.
Ride safe and often!
Good call on the EFI SWITCH TO CARB. I did that on my 2001 RK, much more fun to ride!
I'm thinking my next bike will be an EVO. Sure would be nice to find an FXR.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:15 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 380 Posts

I have an Evo there for my next bike will be an Evo.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:54 PM
Ed_the_Hunter
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What an informative article,it was for that kind of information that I joined this forum. It taught me a lot.

Thank you

Old 08-16-2014, 10:22 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

Pretty biased if you ask me...in NZ we are seeing similar reliability to TCs as from Evos assuming the Evo has had its inherent weaknesses attended to... We do not regard TCs as a throw way item and they are very well regarded by people that have been riding Harleys since the 70's.

Bear in mind what happens when an early Evo crankcase gives up the ghost, or the mess caused by the INA inner cam bearing, cracked inner pirmaries, warped Derby Covers....base gasket leaks, warped rocker boxes, Tapered shaft clutches, head bolt stretch and thread failure, oil pump issues and all the other little gremlins that make Evos less than perfect once you remove the rose tinted glasses...and don't even get me started on Evo EFI.

Yep, TC's are not perfect either but there is not a huge gaping chasm between the two motors as far as reliability goes....if you live in the real world that is....

Old 08-16-2014, 10:47 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,100 Likes on 1,913 Posts

I agree with you Spanners except for 1 thing. Evo's can be repaired by nearly anyone as can all models before them. Not so much so for the Twin Cam. The most needed tool for a Twin Cam is a cell phone since not much can be repaired by the rider anymore.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:47 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Spanners39
Pretty biased if you ask me...in NZ we are seeing similar reliability to TCs as from Evos assuming the Evo has had its inherent weaknesses attended to... We do not regard TCs as a throw way item and they are very well regarded by people that have been riding Harleys since the 70's.

Bear in mind what happens when an early Evo crankcase gives up the ghost, or the mess caused by the INA inner cam bearing, cracked inner pirmaries, warped Derby Covers....base gasket leaks, warped rocker boxes, Tapered shaft clutches, head bolt stretch and thread failure, oil pump issues and all the other little gremlins that make Evos less than perfect once you remove the rose tinted glasses...and don't even get me started on Evo EFI.

Yep, TC's are not perfect either but there is not a huge gaping chasm between the two motors as far as reliability goes....if you live in the real world that is....
I think we all understand that, but it's still fun to make fun of TC's. Grow some thicker skin man.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:04 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by perki48
I agree with you Spanners except for 1 thing. Evo's can be repaired by nearly anyone as can all models before them. Not so much so for the Twin Cam. The most needed tool for a Twin Cam is a cell phone since not much can be repaired by the rider anymore.

Rubbish!!!!! You just do not know what you are talking about. The one special tool I use for TC's (that is in addition to an Evo) I made from an old socket.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:07 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter
I think we all understand that, but it's still fun to make fun of TC's. Grow some thicker skin man.
I am not thin-skinned I am just giving my opinion, if y'all can't handle the fact that my opinion isn't "great article man" then you may need to grow some yerself....say what you like about TCs, make all the comparisons you like but stick to the facts or I will hunt you down when you buy a TC yourself and taunt you until you cry

Old 08-17-2014, 06:13 AM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Spanners39
I am not thin-skinned I am just giving my opinion, if y'all can't handle the fact that my opinion isn't "great article man" then you may need to grow some yerself....say what you like about TCs, make all the comparisons you like but stick to the facts or I will hunt you down when you buy a TC yourself and taunt you until you cry

My bike sounds better than YOUR TC ...............🚬:/❄🌀bwaaaaaaaaaaaa.......

Quick Reply: GREAT article on Evos vs. twin cam-Enjoy!