EVO All Evo Model Discussion

GREAT article on Evos vs. twin cam-Enjoy!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 06:15 AM
ppilotmike
Road Captain
Received 106 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by WP50
What a person is use to working on or more available information will make for easier repairs. I have seen a few changes in the auto industry. One thing I saw the older guys fight was having to learn the changes and differences in diagnosis of problems. The newer stuff once learned became simple and sometimes easier to fix. The info available on EVO's is immense as well as the number of folks that know them. As the numbers of people grow that know the TC's and info becomes easier to get, I think we will be laughing at some of our fears about them.

Once a person learns the in and outs of working on something it just becomes easier.

Now I have become one of the older fellas. I left a GM dealer the first of July after 24 years, I have chosen to take a simpler route. I went to work at a front end and brake shop. I'm enjoying the more Easier and simpler work to finish out a career of figuring out all the New Chit they come up with.

Respects WP
Yupper, well put.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:25 AM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spanners39
This is simply not true mate, it is a complete fiction, a TC is actually easier and cheaper to maintain than an Evo and in the long run has less "big maintenance" issues like oil leaks and things that warp and crack or go out of tune.

Doesn't mean I don't like Evo's because I do but I ride a TC BECAUSE there is less maintenance and they are cheaper to run...and I am a Harley Wrench...have been for 35 years.

I do a big tour every year and several minor ones and the TC I can just get on it and ride...the 1998 Evo required a bit more input to keep it that way and didn't cruise at high speed as well as my 1450 Lowrider.

People wanna hear the truth but there are people on this forum who just can't handle the truth

this is so true you even fall under this category...

the engines are not harder to work and in some cases they are easier.
but your comment on the oil pump being better is only half true.
while the pump is definitely better how they mounted it is garbage most jap bike have the same pump but they are chain drive or gear you don't put them on a crank with a tolerance of +.010 runout and +.060 of endplay. it excessively wears the cam plate and pump.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:34 PM
Fatboy1389
Road Warrior
Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

I ride the TCs every year and contemplate adding one to the collection .... but I never feel overwhelmed with anything about them.
Two of my friends went with me to Daytona this year and both traded in their bikes (BMW & Honda) for Fatboys. I already hear the complaints about the heater between their legs but I never talk down about the TCs to the new HD riders or point out the obvious - it's pointless and I love riding with them.
My EVO will NEVER be traded or sold. It runs better now than it did when I bought it in '94 and other than a stator, voltage regulator and turn signal module - nothing has failed ...it'll be interesting to see how the Fatboys hold up.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:31 PM
FFF88
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brettfullthrottle

What he said
Ditto! though I enjoyed reading the 6 pages of info and debate this post has brought so far. IMO, its about being in the wind and the freedom that for me only comes when I am on two wheels. Harley, jap, dirt, even mtn bike, etc. it's all freeing and personal preference. But I do love my Harley and my dirt bike equally and differently...Ride what you like, and ride with me on whatever you like.....

Old 08-21-2014, 03:59 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by D_gyver
this is so true you even fall under this category...

Not me, I am the Vulcan Spock when it comes to Harleys, I don't get sucked in by emotive claptrap...you wanna know about Harleys that are a PITA and expensive to maintain? Try a Shovelhead

Old 08-21-2014, 04:04 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

For me, its less about Evo vs TC than it is old vs new.

I want my bike to be simple. Simple as a hammer.

One of my neuroses is that I'm getting increasingly "anti-digital". There's no escaping it (I'm here, after all), but that doesn't mean I can't carve out a few explicitly analog things in my life.

I like the fact that there is nothing digital on my FXR.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:04 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

One of my neuroses is that I'm getting increasingly "anti-digital". There's no escaping it (I'm here, after all), but that doesn't mean I can't carve out a few explicitly analog things in my life.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:32 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha

Do you have a turn signal module?
If so then you have micro processors in there.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:59 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Do you have a turn signal module?
Nope.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:30 PM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I was born in 1980. By the time I was old enough to pay attention to Harley's, the Shovelhead had been scrapped for several years. I grew up looking at Harley's with Evo motors and wanted one. I like my Evo. It's paid for and it's been very reliable. It's the only bike that I've ever felt connected to, and I'm not the kind of guy that gets attached to material possessions. It's kinda weird. I like pulling in someplace where's there's other bikes and having the only Evo. Since it's 17 years old, it does somewhat have a classic feel to me since I know "they ain't making em like that no more". My Evo Dyna has character and I like it. Is it a better bike than a twin cam? I don't know, I've never owned a TC but I know how good my Evo has been to me so to replace it with something new doesn't make much sense to me. I still have a 1995 F-150 and a 1998 Honda CRV for a work car. I don't replace cars, lawnmowers, trucks, or motorcycles until there's a good reason to.

In a few years when the Quad Cam liquid cooled Harley's are the new hottness, the Twin Cam guys will be saying things about their bikes that we Evo riders say about ours.

Quick Reply: GREAT article on Evos vs. twin cam-Enjoy!