EVO All Evo Model Discussion

speedo ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 02:07 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,324 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by pc100
yep for sure i should of used odometer now i got Traildog wanting to see me in a damn speedo LOL
Have you tried just cleaning the pick up?

Old 08-21-2014, 08:14 PM
pc100
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the speedometer is ok just the odometer is blurred like its been wet after reading other post's seems like in 98 this was a common problem

Old 08-21-2014, 08:35 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,324 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by pc100
the speedometer is ok just the odometer is blurred like its been wet after reading other post's seems like in 98 this was a common problem
I'll take that as a no.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:17 PM
92Fatty
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would post a pic but I'd probably get banned due to package size. lol

Old 08-23-2014, 07:42 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

I'm glad I read this post. My '96 Road King has this issue with a bleeding odometer. The first 2 numbers are bleeding through even when it is off. I am going to try cleaning the pick up like suggested for the other numbers.
I did find a speedometer with a broken glass and a clear LED screen to swap over. Does anyone have a write up on the procedure for changing out the odometers? I would like some guidance before I destroy a good screen.
Thanks.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:39 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 795 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by Crashone
I'm glad I read this post. My '96 Road King has this issue with a bleeding odometer. The first 2 numbers are bleeding through even when it is off. I am going to try cleaning the pick up like suggested for the other numbers.
I did find a speedometer with a broken glass and a clear LED screen to swap over. Does anyone have a write up on the procedure for changing out the odometers? I would like some guidance before I destroy a good screen.
Thanks.
1996 ? i thought that was the old plastic odometer wheels? ....
Cleaning the pick-up will do nothing for an odometer LCD screen that has spot due to a leak.
Opening the unit has been done by some to replace the face for something more custom.
This is a quick cut and paste for screen replacement from another member..unit must be from same era/time.
Hardest part is opening the semi-sealed unit and trying not to destroy the top chrome ring.
With your speedo removed & on a flat surface, then, with a small flat end screwdriver, carefully pry around rthe edges of the bezel, to remove the chrome bezel. this may take some time.

then lift the bezel and glass off the front of the speedo -

then remove the (3) brass retaining nuts from the backside of the speedo.

then from the frontside, remove the needle, the plastic MPG circlular cover, then the guts of the speedo, and pull it out of the plastic casing.

You will see the LCD, it is inserted behind a plastic cover which has hinges on both sides (about 1" long), the plastic cover has a small screw on the backside that retains the plastic cover & LCD in place.

remove the bad LCD, insert the new one.

reassemble back together.

You will need small hard plastic hammer to tap the bezel sides back around the permiter of the speedo. It's best to use a small furniture clamp to hold the glass and the back of the speedo together, as you tap the bezel back in place.

Last edited by im; 08-23-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:03 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks im! This sounds like what I was needing, I had started pulling the old one apart but hesitated to pull the LED apart as I did not want to screw it up. The donner speedo is from a wrecked '96 or .97 and appears clear. I'll give this a go and hopefully report back with success.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:45 PM
pc100
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do that id be interested in hearing

Old 10-02-2014, 06:10 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member

YES!! SUCCESS!! I can now read my odometer and the trip odometer! It took me close to 3 hours to tear the speedometer down and put it all back together. Kind of a PITA but it saved me a couple hundred dollars. The only place that look real sweet is the back of the chrome trim, there is just no way to get it back on like factory. Other than that I'm real happy! Took it out for a ride and all is working fine. In the shop the display looked brighter so I'll have to check it out later tonight.

Thanks again im!

The following users liked this post:
LarLar (07-21-2019)
Old 10-07-2014, 07:06 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 795 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by Crashone
YES!! SUCCESS!! I can now read my odometer and the trip odometer! It took me close to 3 hours to tear the speedometer down and put it all back together. Kind of a PITA but it saved me a couple hundred dollars. The only place that look real sweet is the back of the chrome trim, there is just no way to get it back on like factory. Other than that I'm real happy! Took it out for a ride and all is working fine. In the shop the display looked brighter so I'll have to check it out later tonight.

Thanks again im!
Did you get a donor speedometer from ebay to obtain part?

Quick Reply: speedo ???