EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Is Dyno-tuning worth the cost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 01:51 PM
AAAC
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 92Fatty
Ask the guy that did the last tweeks to revert those back. Myself I like to change only one thing at a time in tuning. Swap main jet go test. Swap intermediate go test. Swap ign curve go test.
He can't get them back...and I honestly think he's afraid to mess with it much more. He's very old school and hasn't worked on Evo's much. He prefers older engines.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:35 PM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Don't forget the intake seals. Mess with the carb and break the seals, and you'll never get it tuned. Spray some carb cleaner around the intake seals and see if the idle changes..

Old 08-20-2014, 06:36 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just me, but why dyno tune a tractor motor. If I were looking for 100% performance! I would go with a sport bike. To me a box stock Harley is fun to ride. To each his own.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:48 PM
AAAC
Tourer

Originally Posted by mmcbeat
Just me, but why dyno tune a tractor motor. If I were looking for 100% performance! I would go with a sport bike. To me a box stock Harley is fun to ride. To each his own.

This bike has had quite a bit of work done to it...it's far from a stock Harley.

I did check the intake gaskets...but I used WD-40. I really think it's something in the adjustments we made b/c it was running the best it has ever ran when I rode into his garage...and has been running like crap since.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:07 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

As I have found myself, a dyno shop will check your bike before running it on their dyno, which will include fixing whatever may be wrong, if you let 'em. One of the beauties of a dyno is that it has raised the game where tuning shops are concerned. I suspect your bike, if you get it dynoed, will run far better than you expect of it - mine certainly does. Ignore the dyno-saurs (like that?!) who can't see the light!

Old 08-21-2014, 04:29 PM
AAAC
Tourer

Originally Posted by grbrown
As I have found myself, a dyno shop will check your bike before running it on their dyno, which will include fixing whatever may be wrong, if you let 'em. One of the beauties of a dyno is that it has raised the game where tuning shops are concerned. I suspect your bike, if you get it dynoed, will run far better than you expect of it - mine certainly does. Ignore the dyno-saurs (like that?!) who can't see the light!
I appreciate the feedback. I have an appointment for next Thursday...not real sure how I'm going to pay for it but I'll figure it out. I just want it done right so I don't have to worry about it any more.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:55 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

I've dynoed many cars...as others have said, the dyno is a great tool to get the last bit of performance out of a properly running vehicle.

IMHO It is not a place to fix a broken vehicle which is what you have. It's like going to a heart surgeon to get a bone set. Maybe he can do it, perhaps he did it before, but it is not his specialty and his time is expensive. If bike dyno guys are like car dyno guys they are good at looking at what the sensors tell them and adjusting maps on a screen to optimize air/fuel and spark to avoid knock. I know, I tune cars. But often these guys don't know a carb from a muffler and have never actually adjusted timing by loosening screws...,they do their adjustments with a keyboard not a Allen wrench/screwdriver.

Make sure where you are taking it can fix mechanical problems which I think is your problem. And I'd try to get a list of what the guy did who messed it up. Your problem lies there if the bike was running great before he touched it.

You really should consider getting the bike running right before you start the dyno clock. If he dyno shop has great mechanics tell them to get it running right before they start dyno tuning the last bit out. Hopefully they will be honest with you as to their capabilities.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:42 AM
junglejoe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmm... Is the dyno worth it? I can't believe some are saying it's not. Maybe if the bike is stock, then yes, it's not worth it. If it's built, then hell yes it's worth it. Last thing you want is a lean running high compression air cooled V-Twin at WOT!! Putting mine on the dyno tomorrow morning!!

Old 08-22-2014, 06:45 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

A dyno is a great tool to fine tune a well running bike, particularly EFI bikes that have so many optional settings. A carb and electronic ignition with a fixed curve, not so much because the tool has many features you cannot adjust on the bike.

I do agree that when you build up your bike, getting it on the dyno to fine tune AFR is very important - you're using the dyno's wide band and recording capability. On my car I installed a wideband and log the car's computer and wideband and make adjustments on the road and the track, that's not possible on a bike, so the dyno provides a convenient place to do that.

A dyno is not a tool to fix a broken bike.

Last edited by Joe_G; 08-22-2014 at 08:42 AM.