EVO All Evo Model Discussion

97 Road King Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 04:48 PM
keyskruiser
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 97 Road King Update

i have put 600 miles on this bike, and have completed my list. I love my Evo even though it left me on the side of the road twice (ignition switch, and fuel line leak). I have;
Changed all fluids
Rewire new ignition switch
New tires and brake pads
Transmission shift lever
Oil pressure switch and new gauge
New fuel lines and orings
New clutch cable
Got all instrument lights working
New shift linkage
Progressive 412s
All new seals in transmission and starter
New windscreen and seat
Most importantly, I got a 97 Service Manual on E-Bay for $69

It is comfortable, leak free, starts easy, and sounds good. My question is...what next? IM say's the cam position sensor, and engine temp sensor will fail and I think I would change the plugs, wires, and coil. I believe in PM and getting stuff before it fails. That's because I can't fix anything. My Indy says " if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Any ideas what I can do next? I want to feel confident when I ride to Bike Week I will get back home. While you guys are thinking, I am going to read the 30 pages in the manual about the FI and see if I can figure out how to read any alarms I might have. Maybe I should just take a ride.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:48 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

IM certainly knows his stuff, no doubt about it. Would you consider buying those two parts and swapping them out and carefully storing the "known good" parts in your saddlebags?

This would give you some valuable wrench time and experience as well.
Tom

Old 01-26-2015, 07:13 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Cam sensor goes, bike won't even start. Temp sensor goes, you will be running rich, missing, and generally running like crap, but you probably make it home. 110,000 miles, one cam sensor, two temp sensors, one of which was replaced quickly in a campground. Neither is the end of the world, and should not cloud your enjoyment of the bike.

Ride On!

Old 01-26-2015, 07:45 PM
keyskruiser
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

The problem for me is, I have never had a ride that is this old. The age doesn't bother me as much as not knowing the history of maintenance. I am trying to start it now. It only has 38,000 miles, but the previous owner left for Colombia a few days after my purchase. I was in to much of a hurry to get on it and get home before dark, I didn't ask many questions. He spoke broken English. I am retired and can afford to have a project going on to upgrade the parts of the bike that are likely to fail. After all, it is going on 18 years old. I just don't know where to go from here. Prolly should enroll in a motorcycle mechanics class. I made my living selling fish.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:00 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,718 Likes on 1,350 Posts

So ride it.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:02 PM
JohnMB
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Keyskruiser Ihave a friend that has a97 RK 80 thousand miles it sits outside in the weather and until a lifter roller went out a couple years ago it never gave him any .problems. We take several trips per year hard and fast Ride that MC and enjoy.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:05 PM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,285 Likes on 499 Posts

+1 on ride it.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:11 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

get yourself a little spiral-bound pocket size note book and create your own "Log Book". Keep notes of dates and mileage whenever you do something...tire change, fluid change, parts change, perhaps even what each cost you...you won't regret it

Old 01-26-2015, 09:29 PM
Tony_N
Road Master
Received 253 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaZund
get yourself a little spiral-bound pocket size note book and create your own "Log Book". Keep notes of dates and mileage whenever you do something...tire change, fluid change, parts change, perhaps even what each cost you...you won't regret it
I keep the maintenance log on an Excel spreadsheet with date, mileage and cost. Also a good place to keep part numbers.

Sent from my HTC One using IB AutoGroup

Old 01-26-2015, 10:18 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Replacing electrical parts will not necessarily buy you more mileage. Just ride it, and learn as you go.

Quick Reply: 97 Road King Update