EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Took my beating but accepted the action

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 08:09 AM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Took my beating but accepted the action

Had a 1993 FLHS, had placed it for sale on three sites but could never get more than a inkling of interest. Had a couple 'old guys' as myself look into it but always asked for a bargain as to purchase so I kept it riding it as a commuter as I also have a 2012 RGU we use for distance travels.

So a fella from not too far away called and asks if still a valid ad, he comes down with cash in hand and a trailer takes it for a ride and claims it. I took a flogging after buying three years ago, adding much needed repairs I had not the foresight to see and de-customized from the old corroded and flaking derby covers trim sets that mad it look worse than really was. Loss was close to $1500 even after figuring savings from use as a commuter and keeping it functioning well so not quite as bad as expected but bad enough. How come such lack of interest in these good old rides?

Old 12-30-2016, 08:14 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Hard to say...either everyone's liking the new/fancy electronic rides HD's pumping out, or no-one appreciates the tried/true HD generation where you might have to get your hands dirty.

I still don't mind 80's-90's HD's and might get one to ride/wrench when I finally 100% retire...to keep me young.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:26 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,321 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Two things come to mind.
What did you sell it for and you have to realize the economy has been in the tank for a while now.
Also you do know that all repairs don't affect resale right?

Old 12-30-2016, 09:50 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,318 Likes on 6,259 Posts

If you sold it for $1,500 less than what you paid for it, then consider that $1,500 as usage.

The reason for lack of interest of potential buyers is also the same reason you chose to sell it.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:53 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,532 Likes on 4,631 Posts

There is no reason that the bike would be worth more over time, that is just a myth.

We are not talking about `60-`70s muscle cars here...

It is nothing more than an old vehicle. Anyone who has any mechanical experience with these bikes knows that it can become a money pit just to get an old machine up to snuff...

I would love to come across an `80s Electra Glide, but it would have to be in good shape and almost a give away for me to buy it, and I think a lot of guys have that same attitude toward buying an older bike these days.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 12-30-2016 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:16 AM
Ozark Joe
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

Like I seen and whats said,
  • the market is soft right now and the economy is in a slump
  • stiff competition from falling prices in the TC bikes
  • some people not wanting to make time or spend money on older models
  • the market is flooded with too many bikes
  • too much customization by a previous owner may be a turn off to a potential buyer
  • condition and mileage of the bike

I think that is the summery. With this check list I doubt I'll get what I paid for mine if I ever sell.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:58 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Everything said above, and this: We get accustomed to thinking that the motorcycle market is similar to the car market, but that's a mistake. Things like NADA and Kelly's make you think things have a given "market value", but that's really not true. The motorcycle market is tiny, relatively speaking. That means that for any given bike, particularly one that is "old" but not old enough to be collectible, it is something of a shot in the dark whether or not there will be a buyer in your vicinity at any particular point in time.

I got lucky when I bought an FXR a couple of years ago, then sold it for a profit last year. That was a fluke. (Turns out FXRs are the hot ticket in California right now. Had a guy willing to ship it.)

I don't think for a moment that I could get my money out of my FLH, however. Not even close, actually, given what I paid (too much) and what I've put into (also too much).

That said, the floor for a decent shape Evo-era big twin seems to be around $3,500 to $4k right now, so at least whatever downside there is is limited.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:18 AM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,722 Likes on 1,171 Posts

I have heard to many, including friends say "I have never lost money on a Harley" That's BS

There was a time for some that Might could have been true but that was years ago.

Motorcycles have gotten more popular in recent years but even so it's a small market.

2 car dealerships here won't even take a 11 year old car or truck in for repairs.

WP

Old 12-30-2016, 12:09 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Considering all the stuff I did to my bike I'm ok with the fact it's probably only worth 3k and that it just isn't worth selling ever. What I could get for it, I couldn't replace it.

Yesterday a friend stopped by to help me figure out how to modify this softail pro pipe to fit my dyna, and he started saying how I should just get a twin cam. Really disappointing. I get what he's saying though with all the used garage queens. I just like the evo too much.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:28 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,457 Likes on 5,452 Posts

Originally Posted by WP50
Motorcycles have gotten more popular in recent years but even so it's a small market.
In the last 5 years motorcycles have gotten less popular...tons of riders have got over the fad and quit riding. The market is flooded with used bikes and 90% of the ones for sale are overpriced.

NADA has lost their mind on what they consider "classic" bikes.

I have an 84 Softail... NADA says it is worth $17,775 in excellent condition...not on this planet...Nada says it worth $5210 in poor condition...it would have to be museum quality for me to get more than that for it in today's market.

NADA says top dollar for your 93 is $9600...IMO $4500 would be top dollar...and it would have to be nice to sell for that...not a good time to sell a motorcycle...and I don't see it getting better in the foreseeable future.

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 12-30-2016 at 01:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Took my beating but accepted the action