Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Good air cleaner to pair with Bassani Road Rage Mega Power Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 11:51 PM
Captain_Jack_Sparrow
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good air cleaner to pair with Bassani Road Rage Mega Power Exhaust

Fellow Riders,

Those of you who own the Bassani Road Rage two-into-one exhausts, what air cleaners would you recommend pair well with the pipes to optimize max performance? I'm not looking to break world records but I do want something that will work with rather than against my Dyna (Street Bob).

CHEERS

Old 10-03-2015, 11:54 PM
Captain_Jack_Sparrow
Intermediate

Side note: I will be using the Vance and Hines fuel pak 3 for my tuner. All my buddies have it and they say it ROCKS

Old 10-03-2015, 11:57 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

On a stage one all aftermarket ac's are going to perform about the same. Find the style you like and go for it

Old 10-04-2015, 01:48 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Originally Posted by ynots
On a stage one all aftermarket ac's are going to perform about the same. Find the style you like and go for it

Old 10-04-2015, 02:40 PM
Captain_Jack_Sparrow
Intermediate

Good to know. THANK YOU

Old 10-04-2015, 04:10 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,941 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain_Jack_Sparrow
Fellow Riders,

Those of you who own the Bassani Road Rage two-into-one exhausts, what air cleaners would you recommend pair well with the pipes to optimize max performance? I'm not looking to break world records but I do want something that will work with rather than against my Dyna (Street Bob).

CHEERS

With respect to the other posters, All air cleaners do NOT perform the same.

With Air Cleaners there are two basic performance choices, and an endless number of "Looks" to choose from.

Performance Choice #1 - Unfortunately the EPA mandates have Harley-Davidson, and almost every aftermarket air cleaner company, pushing the blow-by into the air cleaner. What comes out of the breathers is primarily exhaust gases and oil, it is also hot. This is counter-productive to performance & engine longevity. Harley engines perform better with cool dry air & gasoline, not hot, oily air and gas. Additionally, the exhaust gas has a lower oxygen content, displacing oxygen on each combustion stroke.

This type of air cleaner is a poor performance choice.

Performance Choice #2 - The Best Performance Choice is an Air Cleaner System that allows only clean dry air into the intake.

DK Custom Products Line of Outlaw Air Cleaner Systems are Air Cleaner Systems that utilize external breathers, allowing only Dry, Clean Oxygen rich Air into your intake.

A couple of pics are worth a thousand words-

If you go to this LINK you can see more info, dyno charts, and pics of just one air cleaner that will work well with your Street Bob with RR pipes and the FP tuner.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-06-2015, 12:29 PM
mdm
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

DK Custom

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Performance Choice #1 - Unfortunately the EPA mandates have Harley-Davidson, and almost every aftermarket air cleaner company, pushing the blow-by into the air cleaner. What comes out of the breathers is primarily exhaust gases and oil, it is also hot. This is counter-productive to performance & engine longevity. Harley engines perform better with cool dry air & gasoline, not hot, oily air and gas. Additionally, the exhaust gas has a lower oxygen content, displacing oxygen on each combustion stroke.

This type of air cleaner is a poor performance choice.
Sadly I wasn't as knowledgably in this area as I should have been when I replaced the air cleaners on our bikes. This past week I had my air cleaner off in a space of a couple of days and was surprised how much oil was present in the breather passages after just a couple of days (150 miles). Seeing that and further research, to include your post, has moved replacing those air cleaners to the top of my list.

Questions:
How/where do you recommend putting the IAT sensor when the stock back plate is replaced? Outlaw HiFlow 587? Outlaw HiFlow 636v?
When I put the present air cleaners on I mounted a 90 deg bracket on the back of the back plate that the IAT sensor attaches to. This puts the sensor in about the same location as the stock location. Monitoring the IAT and the engine temp it just seems like the sensor picks up a lot of radiant heat from the engine, even when moving. It wasn't uncommon to have the IAT around 130-140 with the ambient temp at 85-95. These air cleaners are the type that use the stock covers. Is this high of an IAT truly accurate and represent the temp of intake airflow or is it reading high because of radiant heat off the engine? I will add that the engines were running lean and hot. We put them on a dyno and had them tuned last weekend and he tuned for a much better AFR range. The weather has cooled quite a bit so I'm unable to make direct before/after comparisons with the engine and IAT temps.

I would think the 636v IAT would be cooler than what you would get with the 587 or the stock cover. Is that correct? If so, much difference in the IAT is there between the 587 and the 636v?

Old 10-06-2015, 04:02 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,941 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by mdm
DK Custom

Sadly I wasn't as knowledgably in this area as I should have been when I replaced the air cleaners on our bikes. This past week I had my air cleaner off in a space of a couple of days and was surprised how much oil was present in the breather passages after just a couple of days (150 miles). Seeing that and further research, to include your post, has moved replacing those air cleaners to the top of my list.

Questions:
How/where do you recommend putting the IAT sensor when the stock back plate is replaced? Outlaw HiFlow 587? Outlaw HiFlow 636v?
When I put the present air cleaners on I mounted a 90 deg bracket on the back of the back plate that the IAT sensor attaches to. This puts the sensor in about the same location as the stock location. Monitoring the IAT and the engine temp it just seems like the sensor picks up a lot of radiant heat from the engine, even when moving. It wasn't uncommon to have the IAT around 130-140 with the ambient temp at 85-95. These air cleaners are the type that use the stock covers. Is this high of an IAT truly accurate and represent the temp of intake airflow or is it reading high because of radiant heat off the engine? I will add that the engines were running lean and hot. We put them on a dyno and had them tuned last weekend and he tuned for a much better AFR range. The weather has cooled quite a bit so I'm unable to make direct before/after comparisons with the engine and IAT temps.

I would think the 636v IAT would be cooler than what you would get with the 587 or the stock cover. Is that correct? If so, much difference in the IAT is there between the 587 and the 636v?
I would not change the location of the IAT sensor. It feeds back to the ECM and makes changes on the fly to the tune. It makes those changes assuming that it is in the stock location.

Yes, the IAT is affected by the radiant heat, and the readings you observed are not abnormal, and should be reading the IAT at the point where the sensor is located in the throttle body.

The air going into the throttle body, before it gets warmed up by the throttle body, will be a bit cooler with the 587 than with stock type air cleaners, and most Stage I air cleaners. This is not only because of the radiant heat issue, but also because the 587 does not introduce hot air from the breather bolts into the throttle body.

The 636v will be even a bit cooler than the 587. This is because the filter is pulling air into the throttle body from further away from the engine, but also because of the venturi effect pushing the air faster into the engine, giving less time for it to warm up.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:42 AM
mdm
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Yes, the IAT is affected by the radiant heat, and the readings you observed are not abnormal, and should be reading the IAT at the point where the sensor is located in the throttle body...
It would be nice if the IAT sensor was actually in the throttle body. The stock location has it attached to the back of the air cleaner back plate. This puts it in a position where it is measuring the temperature of the hot air that is basically trapped between the engine and the back plate. When I replaced the stock air cleaners I mounted the IAT sensors in what is effectively the stock position.

Since the 636v eliminates the back plate what would you recommend doing with the IAT sensor?

Old 10-07-2015, 07:39 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Doherty Machine PowerPacc

Quick Reply: Good air cleaner to pair with Bassani Road Rage Mega Power Exhaust