Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Help - Zenith Bendix Carb Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 04:36 AM
Crusader
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - Zenith Bendix Carb Problems

I have just saved an 83 Tour Glide and I need some help with the Zenith/Bendix carb and or points. I have no manual, but hope to acquire one shortly. In simple terms, How do I tune the carb? What is the correct point setting and what is the best idle speed? Grateful for any advice (but I am loathe to change the carb). What little paperwork that I have tells me she is originally from Texas in '83, exported to the UK in '87 and some owner at some stage spent a great deal of money and time on her so I wish to retain as much as I can.
Hope someone can help
Jon

Old 06-17-2007, 03:43 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: Help - Zenith Bendix Carb Problems

First off the some of the Zenith/Bendix carbs had a high speed adjustable jet installed in it....do you have one of those carbs. You can tell if you do by looking at the top of thecarb...ther will be two brass adjusting screws (in line) with springs under them. One will be a small hex head and the other a round knurled screw.

The small hex head screw, nearest the manifold, is your idle mixture....this is set at 1 1/2 turns out from bottom. This is a starting point, warm up the engine have the idle Set a 950 to 1000 rpms and lean out (screw it in) the idle mixture screw 1/8 of a turn at a timegiving the engine time to except the change. Continue to lean it outtill the engine runs the smoothest and the fastest then set the idle screw (on the side of the carb) till a idle of 1000 rpms is reached.

The main jet adjustment starts at 4 turns out from bottom if you have one.....if you don't have an adjustable main jet you will have a brass plug looking thing in front ofthe idle mixture screw with a letter 'C' or 'B' on it. Now the main jet is complicated so saving my self a lot of unnecessary typing tell me if you have the adjustable jet ornot.
Doc

Old 04-14-2021, 08:51 AM
hwyfever
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have like to see this post continue. Anyone can explain adjusting from this point