Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Woods Cam TW400-6

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 08:16 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Woods Cam TW400-6

Anybody have experience with Woods TW400-6 cam?

This for a 2008 96 engine upgrade.

For a bike low to mid torque with good get up and go. Hauling two sometime, more highway that city. Spects seem awesome. I worry about life. Valve lift is up there but I understand new spring tech much better these days. I would have all the usual upgrades to make it right.
Thanks
Mike

Old 12-05-2007, 08:32 PM
mentor70
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Woods Cam TW400-6

You will need to have head work to run these cams.

Bob recomended the TW-9 for me, but He dose know how to make power!

Old 12-05-2007, 08:54 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Dalton ran 400's in his 103.

They also need compression ~ seems like 10.5:1'ish...????...

Old 12-05-2007, 10:08 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, ran them all last year, put 10k miles on the engine. Yes, need 10.5:1 compression, and head work. These are a .650 lift and you must ensure you have piston to valve clearance. The squish is critical and you must ensure the deck height is correct on the build. Great cams, good low end torque and tuned right can still get low 40's fuel mileage or better. Due to the high lift, expect some valve train noise.
Caution: These cams DO NOT like a lot of timing advance.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:05 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior

Timing advance is good to know. Thinking about it and considering the spects that camwouldn't need any advance.
Actually I talked to Bob Wood and he asked me all his questions, how much I and my wife weight , my riding ways, cruising speed, where I live, etc, etc. He said this is the cam I should use with his springs.
At first I though, Holy Cow, look at that lift. He also put me on his choice for head work near where I live. Thats why he wanted to know. Head guy said he will build it exactly how it needs to be done for this cam which is a normal build for him.
I'm gonna go with his advice. I have read here thats good as Gold. I was just brought up with the spects for this cam considering all my requirements, I though, I needed. I did tell him I wantedhightorque low and mid and some to go though. He said the new spring technollegy is so good today this is not a problem.
How many people like him answer the phone and give you 5 min of their time? AndHE wants to know about YOU.
I just needed a little prop-up.
Anymore thoughts hereare very welcome.

Thanks
Mike

Old 12-06-2007, 09:00 AM
mentor70
Road Warrior

Doug at Head-Quarters is just like Bob, very up front, honest and tells it how it is!

That sold me on the HQ stuff and I have not been dissapointed.

Its good to have no BS guys around for us!

PS, you better start working out your upper arms, your about to get them ripped out of there sockets!

Old 12-06-2007, 09:23 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Gunny,
I used the HD CNC Ported heads with the Woods 400-6. I am glad to hear you are having some one work the heads for you as I really thing the 2" valves in those heads actually hurt the torque a bit, but still it was a low end torque monster. You will like those cams. I rode 4k miles two up, loaded for a three week trip and didn't have a problem, and was in the appalachian, Smokeys and Blue Ridge Mts the whole time. Let me know how it turns out.

And Bob Woods will take the time to steer you in the right direction. He is quite a fountain of knowledge.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:27 AM
cwilks
Banned

Got one in my little ol' 95".....Hillside heads w/1.9 valves......over 100 ft lbs tq. @2300rpms with a top of 114 @3500.......115 hp...........GREAT cam

Old 12-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior

That ride through the Smokies and Blue ridge is one I want to do. In the Marines I was stationed in NC awhile and from there, a little West of the coastit just getsjust beautiful. I'm a histry buff alsoand that whole area is just chock full of History. Did you know that movie, "Last of the Mohegines', was filmed in the NC Smokies, remember those, side of the mountain seans? Beautiful area.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:07 PM
gunnert
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are pretty radical cams with regard to valve wear. Also, to optimize you'll need the compression above 10.5:1. This means your tuner must be right on!. Bob (Woods) originally recommended the 6s for the 116" Twincam I run. I ran them for a couple of years witha fifth gear ration at 3.37:1 (Jims 6 speed). They gave up making power at about 5300 rpm. I switched to the 8s after to take advantage of the rpms and dropped down to a 31 tooth trans pulley.
In a 95 inch motor the 6s may be a better all round choice. You won't need the high compression and extensive head work to optimize the 6s in you motor. (ps, don't get me wrong, the 6s are tough on a valve train too and make plenty of valve train noise).

Quick Reply: Woods Cam TW400-6