Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

"hopping up"

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 07:22 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default "hopping up"

How irresistible it is to hop-up our motors! No matter how much power it already has, or our ability to handle that much power, we always want MORE! And it's so compelling and so much fun that we even enjoy hopping-up OTHER people's bikes.

When we first get a bike perhaps very few of us really know the extent of all the customizing we are about to undertake; some might actually feel no need to ever change a thing. But doesn't it seem safe to say that virtually none of us has a well-thought-out plan to start with? Maybe one is not possible. Our first impulse is to increase horsepower and torque--probably w/ little thought to improve tires, handling, braking, riding skills...; I'm no different. ;-)

Oh, most of us have a vague idea that a motor (engine) is an air-pump, and that, to get more performance, we must improve its' breathing.

We are usually advised to begin w/ an air-cleaner and performance exhaust; presumably most stock ones have not been optimized for maximum performance. And this improvement is one which (someone will correct me if I'm wrong):
a) is generally affordable.
b) probably won't void the warranty.
c) will often provide a more or less noticeable improvement, by itself, even if nothing else is planned.
d) is needed in order to get the most out of any other subsequent improvements, such as cams, bigger carb/valves, porting, higher compression...

My '09 Super Glide Custom has only 6600 miles, so I do not yet wish to make internal engine changes. A Venice, California bike, the stock exhaust cries out to be replaced.

Would an exhaust off an '08 Screaming Eagle be a good choice for performance and one which is not overly loud? Would it fit? Which exhaust would be significantly better?

Other options for this 96-inch motor?

All comments welcome.

lo-rider

Old 04-13-2010, 05:22 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Cycle Shack slip-on's.
About $175.00 most anywhere.
Damn good mufflers.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:17 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Default slip-ons

Scott,

thank you for your suggestion. I see that the Cycle shack slip-ons are very popular. However I just bought a set of Rush slip-ons from another forum member; these also have a bunch of fans on this forum. Here's hoping.

When I bought the bike (last week) the original owner also gave me an SE Pro Tuner for it. Now I'm wondering if a replacement air cleaner would make any noticeable improvement w/o losing low-end torque.

lo-rider

Old 04-13-2010, 10:28 AM
never say never
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when it comes to the dyna family these bikes are allready lighter then touring bikes or sport touring bikes such as street glides,all i did to my 06 dyna was a power coommander and a high flow air cleaner,and this woke the bike up enough for me that there is no way i would even consider any type of build on this bike its light and nimble and has all the power i need to kill myself with as is.oh i did put on bassoni pro streets slash cuts also more air,more fuel and a less restricted exhaust is all that most harleys need to perform well!!!!!!!

Old 04-13-2010, 01:52 PM
splitting_lanes
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lo-rider
Scott,

thank you for your suggestion. I see that the Cycle shack slip-ons are very popular. However I just bought a set of Rush slip-ons from another forum member; these also have a bunch of fans on this forum. Here's hoping.

When I bought the bike (last week) the original owner also gave me an SE Pro Tuner for it. Now I'm wondering if a replacement air cleaner would make any noticeable improvement w/o losing low-end torque.

lo-rider
replacing the air cleaner will give you about twice as much of a performance increase as installing the slip-ons.

neither will cost you too much low-end torque...

Old 04-14-2010, 01:19 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Default a/c

Thanks for that; I have seen impressive claims of which I am naturally skeptical. Nevertheless I accept that some perform better than others, and that it can be a noticeable difference. Preferably, I would have one which uses the stock cover. And I have observed that some (Big Sucker...?) may be inadequate in controlling breather oil.

Does someone know if any of these after-market air-cleaners are street-legal in California? The SE perhaps? Others? Is that an important consideration that we (who live in Calif.) should be aware of?

All comments welcome.

lo-rider

Old 04-14-2010, 11:18 AM
splitting_lanes
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in California and run a K&N 3910. It's pretty good over-all, just use plenty of loc-tite or buy replacement screws. :^)

nobody has given me a smog ticket yet.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:32 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's a sickness that comes with buying a Harley, you don't know you have till it's too late. All I can say is enjoy the ride, it gets better with time

Old 04-14-2010, 07:19 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

before ya know it you are ordering the big parts. do it right the first time i did several builds on my motor before i went to a 120 but i still want more. i want to break the 150 sae hp/tq mark on daves dyno. then ill start working on retiring the old girl for a while.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:34 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn George, make up your mind, it wasn't but a few months ago you were saying you were done, and would never do it again !!

It is a sickness I tell ya, we can't help ourselves. I have parts on order for my Limited already...

Quick Reply: "hopping up"