Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Exhaust Y-Pipe Crack/Glowing Red hot!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 11:17 PM
DC Classic
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Y-Pipe Crack/Glowing Red hot!

I have a 2005 EG Classic, 88c.i., Stage 1, w/ V&H Oval Slip Ons. A couple of weeks ago I noticed a crack in the original exhaust Y-pipe on the right side (the exhaust outlet at the top, rear jug). I suspected that the cause of the crack was excessive heat. (note: engine temp gauge has never gone above 280 degrees while practicing slow cone courses). It's still under warranty, so I had the dealer replace the Y-pipe yesterday during 10,000 mile service. I rode the bike the following night and noticed that the new Y-pipe is glowing red hot! [:@] The original Y-pipe never glowed red.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? Could it be glowing red because of the materials used in the new Y-pipe? Could it be that the motor is running too lean? I've got questions....anyone have answers? ...lol

Old 09-02-2006, 11:31 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Exhaust Y-Pipe Crack/Glowing Red hot!

too little fuel....lean

Old 09-03-2006, 01:42 AM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why is this posted in 2 forums

Old 09-03-2006, 02:00 AM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Because he is looking for answers for questions on his $20,000 motorcycle.
Gary D.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:06 AM
DC Classic
Intermediate

LOL.... Actually, it's posted in two forums because I posted it in the first, then decided that the second was more appropriate for the topic.

Old 11-19-2006, 10:35 AM
MajorJim
Advanced

I have an '05 Roadking Custom with 29,000 miles and had 3 y-pipesand 2 rear fender supports replaced under warranty because of breakage. Motor mounts check good, any ideas on this problem?? I have stage one and V&H ovals slip ons.

Old 11-19-2006, 12:20 PM
sportyrider1
Road Captain

Definitely lean, did you notice this after coming to a stop or after the bike had been idling for a few moments? The original probably was doing the same thing but was not noticed, Mine did the same thing but I didn't notice it until I was checking something at dusk with the bike idling. Used power commander to increase fuel at Idle

Old 11-19-2006, 12:46 PM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned

Stage 1 legal doesn't change fuel and you installed mufflers that make it go lean... This could be aggrivated by an intake leak.

Also, the pipes glow when just sitting or idling around.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:19 PM
the1fatman
Stage IV
Unhappy Inferior design and material quality.

Originally Posted by MajorJim
I have an '05 Roadking Custom with 29,000 miles and had 3 y-pipesand 2 rear fender supports replaced under warranty because of breakage. Motor mounts check good, any ideas on this problem?? I have stage one and V&H ovals slip ons.
Inferior design and material quality. Sadly this is what HD sells to those who have supported their company for a lifetime. Crappy quality in materials such as internal fuel lines, CPs sensors, ignition and exaust system components, are just three that I have personally addressed this week alone, on my $26,000 2004 Ultra-Classic. Failure of these CRITICAL COMPONENTS is exactly why I am afraid to take any road trips on my so called TOURING Electra-Glide. Did I mentiuon Rotor magnets that are installed with F***ing glue. $600 for a rotor and stator.
It's always the same story at the good ol "Hardley Save-ya-some Bleeder". Virtually all of these parts continue to fail acutely and HD never recalls anything to make a free repair or upgrade. GREEEEEEEDEEEEEEE CEOs will continue to pinch pennys from consumers at the cost of HD's name until they destroy HD. That's what happened at GM as I worked and watched the corp destoyed over the last 35yrs and HD didn't learn anything from it except how to clone the same VERY POOR PRACTICES.
I would prefer HD provide customers with, Quality and accountability over a free colonoscopy.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:17 AM
the1fatman
Stage IV
Default CRACKED rear header CURE !!!

Just a heads up for anyone who wants to overcome the cracked rear header pipe on the prospective HD models.
This pipe cracks after time, on the prospective referenced HD models, because they lack the "REAR ENGINE STABILIZER LINK", which was engineered by Buell to be included on the bike when he designed it. Lack of this link, "IS THE CAUSE" for the "engine slap dreaded DEATH WOBBLE" and the deathwobble, is the cause of the header pipe cracking.
If you add the rear engine stabilizer link to your scoot; you will eliminate the deathwobble and the prospect of a cracked header pipe, as the pipe will no longer be flexed ans abnormally stressed under a deathwobble condition. You may live longer too. Just sayin...........

Quick Reply: Exhaust Y-Pipe Crack/Glowing Red hot!