Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Tech & Mechanical Forum > Exhaust System Topics
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by: Samson Exhaust

Welcome to HDForums.com!

P

Old 09-17-2010, 11:59 PM
Hang Around
Cool 2000 Roadking upgrades

I have a 2000 Roadking with 47,000 miles on it and my only current upgrades are a Roadburner true duel Exhaust set up, K and N Air intake and Mikuni carb installed by previous owner. I love my bike and it has always ran great (reliable) In doing my homework on this forum and talking to other riders I decided I was on borrowed time with the stock cams and tensioners (horror stories). I found an independent mechanic who will do the job with S & S 510 Gear driven cams, screaming eagle adjustable push rods and new lifters for $1195.00 parts and labor. While in his shop he showed me a set of ported heads, (done by another independent), 95" jugs and new harley pistons, that he has had sitting on his shelf. He said the total set up would land me around 90-100 HP and he would do the whole top end labor and parts for another grand. So total price OTD $2195.00. I ride mostly solo but my wife rides maybe 3000 mile a year with me. My two questions are: #1. Is this a screaming deal? #2. My bike is reliable now, will this make it more reliable for the next 47,000 miles I plan to put on it. Thanks in advance for any input, I am still a rookie
Old 09-25-2010, 07:10 AM
Hang Around

If the cylinder heads have quality parts(valves, valve springs)installed in them correctly for the cam you'r using it would be a good deal.And of course if the work has a warrannty.I did this exact build about a year ago for a guy and he loves it.Plenty of power and no problems.If this guy you'r dealing with dose good machine work and assembles it correctly and clean you should have no problems.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:54 AM
Hang Around

Outstandiing Thanks for the advice I am going for it
Old 09-27-2010, 01:55 PM
Road Warrior

That sounds like a good deal to me for the price and yes reliability. The HP sounds a little optimistic, without higher compression and a 2-into-1 exhaust, but time will tell and you can always change out the exhaust system and cam and re-tune. Don't forget to upgrade your rear tire too with a $35 Pingel Wheel Disc. You can run the 142 mm rear tire of the 2003-and-up without modifying your belt guard. The tire will last longer, feel more stable while underway and shorten your breaking distance.
SuperTrapp SuperMegs 2-into-1 - PCIII-usb
Tuning by Lee's Cycle of San Diego

Last edited by Firetender; 09-27-2010 at 01:57 PM..
Old 09-27-2010, 06:36 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-backs-fan View Post
I have a 2000 Roadking with 47,000 miles on it and my only current upgrades are a Roadburner true duel Exhaust set up, K and N Air intake and Mikuni carb installed by previous owner. I love my bike and it has always ran great (reliable) In doing my homework on this forum and talking to other riders I decided I was on borrowed time with the stock cams and tensioners (horror stories). I found an independent mechanic who will do the job with S & S 510 Gear driven cams, screaming eagle adjustable push rods and new lifters for $1195.00 parts and labor. While in his shop he showed me a set of ported heads, (done by another independent), 95" jugs and new harley pistons, that he has had sitting on his shelf. He said the total set up would land me around 90-100 HP and he would do the whole top end labor and parts for another grand. So total price OTD $2195.00. I ride mostly solo but my wife rides maybe 3000 mile a year with me. My two questions are: #1. Is this a screaming deal? #2. My bike is reliable now, will this make it more reliable for the next 47,000 miles I plan to put on it. Thanks in advance for any input, I am still a rookie
You won't want to have more than .003" T.I.R. on the pinion when going to those gear driven cams, and 10.2 cr is where you'll want that .510 cam set at, for optimum effectiveness.
And lastly, an ignition, such as a DTT, or a Crane Fireball, either have multi-spark mode, will be needed.
The S/E adjustable will work, but the previous mentioned units will offer more flexibility/adjustability.
Get those ducks in a row, and it'll run good.
Scott
315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Palmer Bros. Performance Products
Complete Machine Shop
Case Boring, Cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
Super-Flow Flow Bench
Crank Rebuilding
Dyno Tuning
Our exclusive Predator Series Engines
From Flatheads, to 2014 models.
"OVER 30 YEARS OF BUILDING HARLEY POWER"
Facebook/Hillside Motorcycle & Machine
Old 09-29-2010, 03:50 AM
Hang Around

Thanks to hillside cycle and firetender both for the good advice. I hadnt considered the rear tire size but that makes perfect since. Also the mechanic I am using is going to check the crank run out before instal. He says this hasnt been a big problem on 1999- 2002 TC 88's but will let me know before installing cams. I believe my compression will be 10:1 is that what you are refering to hillside when you say: "and 10.2 cr is where you'll want that .510 cam set at" Thanks again, d-backs-fan
Old 09-29-2010, 05:28 AM
Sponsor

Yes 10.2 compression ratio. Another thing that you may consider is the use of a .030" MLS cylinder head gasket, as the closer you can put the piston to the head, safely, the less chance of detonation you'll have.
Hope this helps.
Scott
315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Palmer Bros. Performance Products
Complete Machine Shop
Case Boring, Cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
Super-Flow Flow Bench
Crank Rebuilding
Dyno Tuning
Our exclusive Predator Series Engines
From Flatheads, to 2014 models.
"OVER 30 YEARS OF BUILDING HARLEY POWER"
Facebook/Hillside Motorcycle & Machine
Old 10-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Hang Around

Well looks like my build is delayed by the guy doing the headwork. I've been told to never rush your barber or you mechanic so Ill be patient and wait.....like a kid on Chrstmas eve, Ill let you all know how my bike turns out as soon as it get it back
Old 10-16-2010, 10:56 PM
Hang Around

Well I got my bike back today and my first impression after riding it was WOW!! I am very pleased with the feel and performance and can tell a huge difference in power. The inner cam chain tensioner shoe fell off as soon as the tension was taken off of it and some of my bearings were starting to show malor signs of wear. So overall two big thumbs up!
Old 10-16-2010, 10:56 PM

P

Tags
2000, change, cool, exhaust, hd, intake, king, performance, road, roadking, set, upgrade, upgradea, upgrades, upgrads