Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Cam change advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 01:20 PM
jackinthebox
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cam change advice

This is for my 08. I currently have a axtell 107 kit with a 040 hg and running s&s 585G cams. I believe my compression is around 10.25/1, but I will be going by my indie who built to get exact compression or have them do a compression check. I have good numbers 106/117 and it's rode good for the past 1 1/2 yrs I just never have really liked the way it performed off the line. I already changed the gearing to a 30 tooth trans also. So I'm thinking a dif cam might do the trick. Any advice on a dif cam?

Old 02-07-2011, 02:50 PM
DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Former Sponsor

Tman 590 cam. Or a Tman 662-1
On 107 with head work we see up 125/130 hp.
My 2 cents We have a sale on them right now.

But those S&S585 are not that bad with some good head work. We offer a stage 3 head for those.
Just call me with any questions.

Originally Posted by jackinthebox
This is for my 08. I currently have a axtell 107 kit with a 040 hg and running s&s 585G cams. I believe my compression is around 10.25/1, but I will be going by my indie who built to get exact compression or have them do a compression check. I have good numbers 106/117 and it's rode good for the past 1 1/2 yrs I just never have really liked the way it performed off the line. I already changed the gearing to a 30 tooth trans also. So I'm thinking a dif cam might do the trick. Any advice on a dif cam?

Last edited by DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS; 02-07-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

A Wood 6 is a shoe-in at that compression, and it'll really pile the torque on where your describing your lacking.
IF you opted to bring the compression along to accomodate the 555, with a set of heads that flow at/near 165 cfm @ 10", @ .600 lift, then not only will it hit hard on the bottom, but carry out further, into the upper rpm band as well.
Of course a real scorcher can be had, with the use of a 408-6, or a 9B, as long as they are surrounded with what is needed to make those combination work correctly.
North of 125/125 within reach.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:35 PM
WhiteGoldSG
Road Master

It must be noted that this is an 08 he is talking about. As we talked about Scott, those high numbers arent usually reached on the 08 with FBW.

Jackinthebox, you have some pretty good numbers on that build. What does your sheet look like down low? I am running Hillsides Stage 4 heads that are flowing at 169 cfm at .600 lift with a tw8 cam and I have about the same torque as you. The rest of my build is in my sig. I'll be honest, my bike MOVES when i'm gettin on it, but it isnt a killer off the line either. These are heavy bikes and this FBW sh*t def drags the "off the line" power down. I believe that if these 08+ bikes were still cable driven we would be able to get these killer numbers out of them that are always being quoted.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:41 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor

Mike, as you yourself had alerted me, your tune is in mucho need of attention, and if your tuning guy does not(or did not) have a handle on the TBW aspect of your motorcycle, then the baddest engine combo on the planet won't be exposed for what it's potential can be.
Also please make close note, that I am refering to the 408, or the 9B cams.
Very different, than your very powerful, yet smaller, # 8 cam.
Scott

Last edited by Hillsidecycle.com; 02-08-2011 at 05:46 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:32 AM
DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Former Sponsor

Note guys no one ever talks about this.(Gearing) It like make 1000hp on a car with 273 one wheel wonder.. LOL LOL

Thats why a lot of guys/gals say why did that 06 and under bike spank my new bike?????

Even with a good tune.
The gearing on a 07,08,09, 10,11 sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Change the gearing a little and with a good tune those bikes move!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FBW can be adjusted with a tts, or race se tuner, Rev-Perf EMS.etc..

Old 02-08-2011, 10:16 AM
jackinthebox
Road Master

Originally Posted by WhiteGoldSG
It must be noted that this is an 08 he is talking about. As we talked about Scott, those high numbers arent usually reached on the 08 with FBW.

Jackinthebox, you have some pretty good numbers on that build. What does your sheet look like down low? I am running Hillsides Stage 4 heads that are flowing at 169 cfm at .600 lift with a tw8 cam and I have about the same torque as you. The rest of my build is in my sig. I'll be honest, my bike MOVES when i'm gettin on it, but it isnt a killer off the line either. These are heavy bikes and this FBW sh*t def drags the "off the line" power down. I believe that if these 08+ bikes were still cable driven we would be able to get these killer numbers out of them that are always being quoted.
I'm breaking 100tq at about 2700 according to my dyne sheet. It was tuned with a tts by a good tuner in my area. Bob at rc cycles.
Maybe I'm just crazy

Old 02-08-2011, 10:23 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Note guys no one ever talks about this.(Gearing) It like make 1000hp on a car with 273 one wheel wonder.. LOL LOL

Thats why a lot of guys/gals say why did that 06 and under bike spank my new bike?????

Even with a good tune.
The gearing on a 07,08,09, 10,11 sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Change the gearing a little and with a good tune those bikes move!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FBW can be adjusted with a tts, or race se tuner, Rev-Perf EMS.etc..
I agree the gearing is less than optimum but most guys are just to lazy to downshift, they just really want a big number on a sheet and want to roll on the throttle and when some guy that knows how to ride goes flying by on his well tuned 103 he can cuddle up with that sheet. Oh and by the way he has changed his gearing to a 30 trans pulley.

Last edited by qtrracer; 02-08-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:44 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor

I'm breaking 100tq at about 2700 according to my dyne sheet. It was tuned with a tts by a good tuner in my area. Bob at rc cycles.
Maybe I'm just crazy
Bob Lobenburg is a top-notch, first-class tuner.
One of the best tuners in the country.
If it's in it, he'll find it, but he cannot make it happen, if it isn't there.
A different cam, will show more, sooner.
What is Bob's take on that??
Scott

Old 02-08-2011, 12:04 PM
DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Former Sponsor

I agree with you but his overall drive is only 2.97 VS Stock 2.79 that still can better like 3.06 plus would be much better.
1st would be 25.98 stock
2nd would be 17.917 stock

1st would be 30 tooth 27.71
2nd would be 30 tooth 19.11

Now if he did this....
1st would be 30/68 = 28.55
2nd would be 30/68 = 19.69 I like this better.He would always be in the power band.......

He added the Sport/Jap pulley 68 =3.06 he would see a better overall in every gear.
It would feel like a whole new bike yeh!!!!!!!!!!!!

My 2 cents......

Originally Posted by qtrracer
I agree the gearing is less than optimum but most guys are just to lazy to downshift, they just really want a big number on a sheet and want to roll on the throttle and when some guy that knows how to ride goes flying by on his well tuned 103 he can cuddle up with that sheet. Oh and by the way he has changed his gearing to a 30 trans pulley.

Quick Reply: Cam change advice