Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Heads?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 12:08 AM
PJF
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads?????

What are the benefits of having your stock heads workedrather thanbuying a set of SE's or S&S's. I plan on doing a95 inch big bore kit with cams and heads in the very near future. I'm looking for usable power in the low to mid power range. My budget is 2500 to 3000. I haven't considered doing the installation myself, however, I am somewhatmechanically inclined. I split the cases on my KX500 and have done numerous top end rebuildson other dirtbikes.
Thanks in advance

Old 12-16-2007, 08:00 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts
Default RE: Heads?????

If you purchase the S/E heads, they need help, in a big way.
So the money spent onthe OE casting, as far as port work is concerned,is money well spent. We "tailor" the head for the combination.Keep in mind when doing your research in regards,that there are also many ways around the barn. Some just happen to be a more direct path.

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:15 AM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

PJF,
Most of these guys on this forum go with Head Quarters engine components. If you're going to dump money in parts...at least buy good ones. I think you can get a full HQ setup...heads, cams, pistons...that compliment each other for less than the amount you're wanting to spend. I currently run Branch heads/pistons but I have a spare set of stock heads that I think I'm going to send to HQ in the Spring.

You can check out HQ at: www.head-quarters.com

Old 12-16-2007, 10:39 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I amright atthe start of exactly something likeyou want to doand I am going to sent or take my stock heads to someone to work on. At least I know they will go back on where I got them off. Having said that I will add upgraded valve train parts but youshould do that anyway.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:04 AM
PJF
Novice

Thanks for the info guys. Very informative. I am going to give Head Quarters a call next week. Thanks again.

Paul

Old 12-16-2007, 11:12 AM
DRAGO1
Tourer

The SE heads are good but you did not tell us which ones you plan on using. I run SE performance heads that ported my self. The lift on those heads are good up to 565/570 with the springs that are in them. Branch makes the SE heads for Harley I have 02 softail 113 hp on SE heads 95 inch all parts are Harley S.E. Carb Mikuni. I build kits for people like this all the time. You can e-mail me if you have any question then I can send you a link to my web site.I will be a sponsor soon I hope in the next few days.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:15 AM
DRAGO1
Tourer

Port the heads then super charge it. see 50% / 75% increase............depending on how much boost........

Old 12-16-2007, 12:17 PM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We use a lot of the cnc ported heads from R&R and they havea preference as to stock or SE heads because they use velocity as their main focus and the stock heads have the standard bathtub chambers and the smaller ports. The thing I like about the cnc over the hand ported is that the core shift is addressed with the cnc. Same price as hand ported with quicker revving and more linear power. The customer support that comes along with the heads is outstanding.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:38 PM
PJF
Novice

I am still very new to the Harley scene and have a ton of research to do as to what head and cam configuration to go with the 95 inch kit. This site alone has provided a wealth of information. I am obviously looking for the most bang for my buck but I'm looking to get somerealistic numbers. I would be very happy with mid to high 90's for hp and tq numbers. Not even sure if this isattainable for the amount of money I am looking to spend.Again, I am new and appreciate all of the replies.

Paul

Old 12-16-2007, 05:22 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

ORIGINAL: DRAGOSBIKEWORKS

Port the heads then super charge it. see 50% / 75% increase............depending on how much boost........
Yousure are into the blowers. Their neat as heck just not practicalon a bikethat a person wants reliable. I think if I was forced to use some form of power adder to a bike I'd do nitrous over the blower every time for my daily rider. Why add extra heat to the engine that would have to be contended with.

Quick Reply: Heads?????