Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

07 RK w/ Rinehart. Rear header pipe glows

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 10:26 PM
JollyRogers
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 RK w/ Rinehart. Rear header pipe glows

I did a recent install on my 07 RK of Rinehart Duals, Stage 1 A/C, and PCIII with the 812-020 map from powercommander website. It seems to run great except slight decel popping if I get on it hard then decelerate fast, but I know how to correct that as that was the same issue on my Dyna. The real thing that concerns me is last night I was riding and got stuck at a stoplight for a few minutes and sure enough the rear header pipe was glowing as I idled just like it used to when stock. Orginally I had the rinehart map provided by Jamie at fuelmoto... and it did the same (maps are somewhat different). I have no exhaust leaks at the head that I can detect and I don't see any cracks with visual inspection so I am assuming a lean condition at idle. Going down the road it is/seems just fine.

I looked at the map and noticed that at the 0 throttle position there is nothing added.
Would it make sense to add some fuel to the 0 throttle position for the rear cyclinder (or both)? I was planning it anyways from 1000+ rpm ranges as it should eliminate the decel popping.

Will the PCIII add fuel for idle? (I think that is my real question... 0 throttle position/1000rpm? does that affect idle) I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it and I could watch the plugs and look for the issue. In fact I should go pull them again and looksee.

I know a dyno would tell me more, but I don't have the desire or current resources for it.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:34 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
Default RE: 07 RK w/ Rinehart. Rear header pipe glows

My map from Jamie also had no fuel added at 0 throttle. The guy who did my dyno added 10in all0 cells. No decel poppingand haven't noticed if my pipes get red hot.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

I would try adding fuel at zero. Like you hinted, it couldn't hurt.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:13 PM
JollyRogers
Road Master

Yes... doing it now. I just hooked up to my street bob and noticed rear cylinder had 7's below 1000 rpm and 10's at 1000 and above. IT runs great. Also it was cold when I started the bob and I could see the PC adding fuel to it at fast idle etc and when it was warm. So between your answers and what I saw I am adding 10's.

Thanks guys.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:34 PM
07 FLHX
Intermediate

I have the same set-up as you and noticed the same glowing rear pipe. I am using the custom map from fuelmoto. The map on the Dynojet site is quite a bit different than Jamie's map. Did you try Jamie's map at all, andif so, why did you switch to the 812-020 map?

Old 01-04-2007, 12:04 AM
JollyRogers
Road Master

Yes I tried Jamie's map and didn't think twice until last night. I got stuck at that light and happened to look down and could see the rear header glowing reflecting off the chromebelow it. So when I got home I checked PC's website and they also had a map. I d/l'd it and compared it to Jamie's. The PC's map showed both cyclinders as seperate map's and Jamie's looked to be a basic map with revlimiter extended. So I loaded the map from PC. Rode it today and it did fine, just decel popped one time when I got on it hard showing out then coming to a quick stop. Tonight when I pulled into garage I could see the rear was glowing if I sat more then say 30 seconds. This in 50 degree F weather!

I just added fuel starting at 7 and worked my way up to 15 in the 0 position at 750, 1000 rpms (hoping to get rid of red glow). I shutdown in between changes and pipe cooled somewhat. As I added some fuel I noticed where it glowed was at the bend mostly right after the O2 sensor. I left it at 15 for 750 and 1000, but the rear is still glowing at idle. I don't like to sit at idle anyways, but it is unavoidable!!!!

I had to pull them Sunday to put new exhaust gaskets in. Long story nother thread. But the parts guy warned me about rinehart true duals running hot on the rear cylinder.!? Hmm WTF, I got them there and wish I had that warning BEFORE I bought them.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:26 AM
petercsbae
Stage II

I have 07 street glide and just waiting to install Rinehart true duals, PCIII and SE air cleaner. Do you mind tosugesst what type mapping do I need to avoid pipe glowing when idle???

Old 01-04-2007, 09:57 AM
JollyRogers
Road Master

ORIGINAL: petercsbae

I have 07 street glide and just waiting to install Rinehart true duals, PCIII and SE air cleaner. Do you mind tosugesst what type mapping do I need to avoid pipe glowing when idle???
I wish I knew as my setup is exactly that running powercommander map 812-020 or Jamie's from Fuelmoto. If I did I wouldn't have posted this issue looking for feedback myself. I don't know if it's necessarily a "problem" yet. Trying to see if others running Rinehart's true duals are seeing the same and I also emailed Jamie at fuelmoto hoping he may have more info.

I just rode into work (about 35 miles country highway) this AM and it did great. Stopped at several lights and did not have any glowing that I could see. Adding 10 at 0 throttle between 1250 and 2500 got rid of decel popping. Still have 15 added at 750 & 1000 rpms. Will pull plugs tonight after it cools to see how they look.

Maybe just exended idle sitting in garage with no airflow what so ever is causing the rear header pipe to glow........? I know when it was stock it did the same thing, but lessoned quite a bit when I ran the PCIII w/ stock map.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:22 PM
2007 Black Ultra
Advanced

ORIGINAL: JollyRogers

ORIGINAL: petercsbae

I wish I knew as my setup is exactly that running powercommander map 812-020 or Jamie's from Fuelmoto. If I did I wouldn't have posted this issue looking for feedback myself. I don't know if it's necessarily a "problem" yet. Trying to see if others running Rinehart's true duals are seeing the same and I also emailed Jamie at fuelmoto hoping he may have more info.

I just rode into work (about 35 miles country highway) this AM and it did great. Stopped at several lights and did not have any glowing that I could see. Adding 10 at 0 throttle between 1250 and 2500 got rid of decel popping. Still have 15 added at 750 & 1000 rpms. Will pull plugs tonight after it cools to see how they look.

Maybe just exended idle sitting in garage with no airflow what so ever is causing the rear header pipe to glow........? I know when it was stock it did the same thing, but lessoned quite a bit when I ran the PCIII w/ stock map.
I've got an 07 Ultra with Rinehart True Duals, Ness Big Sucker A/C and Revtech DFO. The rear header pipe glows red about 6" from the head. It's not cherry red, but more of a deep burgandy. The set is about a week old and the combination of the three makes my bike run very well. The rear pipe did concern me. I called and talked to Techlusions about the settings and they walked me through the set up again, just to be sure. The bike is not running lean at all and I pushed a lot of fuel though it to try to cool it down some. I do believe that my original pipes may have done the same, but I just never paid attention to them. I get no pop on decel or anything.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:12 AM
radridd
Tourer

I am running RinehartTD, SE AC, Stage 1download. Installed PCIII mapped by fuelmoto at the same time I installed the Rineharts. Rear pipe is blueing and front is not. Ocassional decel popping.

Quick Reply: 07 RK w/ Rinehart. Rear header pipe glows