Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Tuning Supertrapp Supermegs

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 07:46 PM
mhud
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning Supertrapp Supermegs

I'm considering putting the above 2/1 exhausts on a new RG ultra I'm going to purchase. I currently have DD Fatcats on my 08 but want something quieter. My concern is the tuner at the local HD shop has never tuned Supermegs. Are they more or less difficult than other pipes using HDs super tuner? Also after the bike is tuned can you remove or add discs to change the sound or does that require a new tune? Thanks for your help.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:13 PM
madmustang4
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the supermeg and not all tuners have experience with it. The ones that do normally take off your closed end cap and put on one of theirs that has a hole in it. Then the feed the sniffer thru the hole and up into the header for the tune. After feeding sniffer in, they seal off the hole to make sure back pressure is correct. You might consder going on the Supertrapp forums and asking this question. Someone from ST will respond.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:23 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I have a Supermeg on my 1990 bike. My turning shop supplied it and used the 2008 set, which comes with O2 sensor holes. They used them for tuning on their dyno and kept the closed end cap. The O2 holes were than blanked off. Simples! I have a 107" and all the discs that came with it and all is fine.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:02 PM
jty
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mhud
I'm considering putting the above 2/1 exhausts on a new RG ultra I'm going to purchase. I currently have DD Fatcats on my 08 but want something quieter. My concern is the tuner at the local HD shop has never tuned Supermegs. Are they more or less difficult than other pipes using HDs super tuner? Also after the bike is tuned can you remove or add discs to change the sound or does that require a new tune? Thanks for your help.
Find out first how many disks you're happy with by doing dyno pulls with different number of disks and comparing the torque graphs. Once happy, finish the tune. Check out the supertrapp forum for how many disks you should start with and work your way down until the low end torque does not improve anymore and the top end starts to suffer.
Just my suggestion, as this is what I should have done...