Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

SEPST tuning for dummies

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 06:23 PM
Fat Bob 12
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SE Super Tuner Pro and Super Tuner Software HELP!

My Bike: 2012 FXDF Dyna FatBob
Mods: SE Stage 1 air cleaner, V&H Staggered Short Shots.
Tuning file using: 357SDQ001.dt0

My problem: I have great acceleration from 1st through 4th gear. When I shift to 5th gear and hit the throttle, RPM's drop off, since I have an HD Analog/Digital Combo Speedometer with gear indicator, I witness the drop to 3rd gear and increase in RPM and the RPM decreases as the gear indicator rises up thru 4th back to 5th gear. All this without shifting mechanically.

I have recorded to my VCI and I am sure I am capturing this and I can analyze the graph. However that hasn't helped me cure my problem.

I am thinking this could be a problem with the throttle position sensor but I am seeing the output to as much as 4.8 volts.

I have not altered any of the map tuning file as listed above.

Can anyone give me a bump in diagnosing this problem? Where should I be focusing on the graph as I step thru it to locate the problem?

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Fat Bob 12; 07-08-2015 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:36 AM
Jdharley78
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thank you for this post

Now I just hope this will help me get more out of my new exhaust pipes and stage one

Old 08-08-2015, 11:30 AM
Tedwilliams09
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Very Nice Thread thanks for taking the time to do this

Old 09-20-2015, 08:01 PM
bobclark101
2nd Gear

I have a 2011 Ultra Classic 103, Stage 1 air cleaner and stage 2, 204 cams and dual racing exhaust. All else is mostly stock. BTW thanks for your instructions they were great. Found a good map that seems to work fairly well. Installed the map and the bike is running pretty good. Did have a few issues when in the hills, on hot days and rolling on the throttle at around 2250 the bike would cough. Raised the VE Front and Rear mapping a bit and seems to take care of it. My fuel mileage has dropped about 5 MPG, running rich. I wanted to run smart tune to see if I can dial in the area that I ride most of the time on the highways, 2500 to 3500. I followed your instructions, set the module to record and all went well until I started to take off. The bike just spit and coughed when just rolling on the throttle. I found if I rolled on very slowly I could get up to speed and once the bike got warm it was better but still did cough a few times. I went ahead and ran the recording ride for abut 45 minutes following the instructions. When I got home down load the HDX files, compared them and made a few changes in the area I wanted. Took the bike out today in 85 deg weather and it really run great. My fuel mileage is better, no pinging or coughing. So I tried another smart tune ride and after setting it all up to record again, same thing, cough, sputter and such. Was real gentle with the bike and did get some more lower numbers to put in 2500 to 3500. Made the changes and installed the new map. Took the bike for a ride and it is really running good. So after all that explanation, sorry for the long one here, Why in the heck does the bike spit and sputter while in the recording mode. Have I missed something in the setup to start recording or what. It seems the bike is running very very lean. Have I missed something somewhere. Thanks in advance for any help. Bob

Old 09-21-2015, 03:59 AM
Jdharley78
Advanced

Originally Posted by bobclark101
I have a 2011 Ultra Classic 103, Stage 1 air cleaner and stage 2, 204 cams and dual racing exhaust. All else is mostly stock. BTW thanks for your instructions they were great. Found a good map that seems to work fairly well. Installed the map and the bike is running pretty good. Did have a few issues when in the hills, on hot days and rolling on the throttle at around 2250 the bike would cough. Raised the VE Front and Rear mapping a bit and seems to take care of it. My fuel mileage has dropped about 5 MPG, running rich. I wanted to run smart tune to see if I can dial in the area that I ride most of the time on the highways, 2500 to 3500. I followed your instructions, set the module to record and all went well until I started to take off. The bike just spit and coughed when just rolling on the throttle. I found if I rolled on very slowly I could get up to speed and once the bike got warm it was better but still did cough a few times. I went ahead and ran the recording ride for abut 45 minutes following the instructions. When I got home down load the HDX files, compared them and made a few changes in the area I wanted. Took the bike out today in 85 deg weather and it really run great. My fuel mileage is better, no pinging or coughing. So I tried another smart tune ride and after setting it all up to record again, same thing, cough, sputter and such. Was real gentle with the bike and did get some more lower numbers to put in 2500 to 3500. Made the changes and installed the new map. Took the bike for a ride and it is really running good. So after all that explanation, sorry for the long one here, Why in the heck does the bike spit and sputter while in the recording mode. Have I missed something in the setup to start recording or what. It seems the bike is running very very lean. Have I missed something somewhere. Thanks in advance for any help. Bob
Did u check your adapted fuel box when you were flashing for the smart tune?

Old 09-21-2015, 08:55 AM
bobclark101
2nd Gear
Default sputtering & Coughing during Record session

Thanks JD for the question. Yes I did check both boxes. The coughing and sputtering only happens during the smart tune recording session. Once I flash the new map everything runs fine and no codes. After running the recording session I get the lean and rich codes for both cyl. 131 132 151 152. I read awhile ago that it was a good idea to change the VE map to 14.6 before starting recording so the O2 sensors can work. I have read that anywhere else and doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Any other thoughts? One thing I may be having an issue with during normal mode, when coming up to a stop my idle is about 1300 rpm until I come to a full stop then drops to 1000. Wonder if I might be having an issue with the throttle body or fly be wire throttle unit. Thanks Bob

Old 09-21-2015, 09:59 AM
Tedwilliams09
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Odd thing but i had an 07 Low Rider that would idle high like that.... Battery was low on charge... I was running too many short trips and not really letting it get a good charge.. Threw a trickle charge on and it stopped doing it... Maybe a simple place to look??

If you have been hooking the computer up you might be draining the battery

Old 09-21-2015, 07:37 PM
Jdharley78
Advanced

Originally Posted by bobclark101
Thanks JD for the question. Yes I did check both boxes. The coughing and sputtering only happens during the smart tune recording session. Once I flash the new map everything runs fine and no codes. After running the recording session I get the lean and rich codes for both cyl. 131 132 151 152. I read awhile ago that it was a good idea to change the VE map to 14.6 before starting recording so the O2 sensors can work. I have read that anywhere else and doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Any other thoughts? One thing I may be having an issue with during normal mode, when coming up to a stop my idle is about 1300 rpm until I come to a full stop then drops to 1000. Wonder if I might be having an issue with the throttle body or fly be wire throttle unit. Thanks Bob
I run mine always in lamba and closed loop from 750 rpm to 3500 rpm all the way to from 0 to 70 map and then I do pretty much peak power .856 for the rest. I have my idle set at 1016 rpms

Old 03-22-2016, 08:54 PM
Reilly
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dealer Flashed Already - How do I Backup or Copy existing file?

I have Heavy Breather and Rhineharts... No cat converter anymore.. Dealer installed and flashed with new map. I have pro super tuner, cables and software on laptop. How do I save the existing map that is in my bike before I start making changes? I just want to save backup first. It is not obvious...

Old 01-19-2017, 11:42 AM
user242o8248
Stage III
Default De-cell pop

Just got a SESPT cable and new Speedster 909 pipes. Will Map this spring. Can de-cell pop be improved with this tuner? Tips appreciated!

Quick Reply: SEPST tuning for dummies