Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Tensioners and cam upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 04:49 PM
tnhd06
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tensioners and cam upgrade

Need to upgrade my 06 heritage tensioners with new SE plate and Andrew 21 cams. All new inner and other bearings, adjustable pushrods and HV oil pump...dealer says 2000.00. I say what special tools do I need to do it myself?...Watch a few YouTube videos on this doesn't look to bad but they had some tools I don't have. Where is a good place to buy the parts and tools to do this? Thanks

Old 01-12-2014, 06:56 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I bought the Inner bearing puller and installer from Heartland. He uses Ebay a lot. Check out his website:

http://www.mbsmfg.com/hadato.html

Old 01-12-2014, 07:20 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by alansummrs
I bought the Inner bearing puller and installer from Heartland. He uses Ebay a lot. Check out his website:

http://www.mbsmfg.com/hadato.html
Yup they have the best prices. I bought the cam bearing puller from them, primary locking tool, and the main drive pulley tool( to get that bitch nut off to do my 30t).

Old 01-12-2014, 08:12 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Bobber
Yup they have the best prices. I bought the cam bearing puller from them, primary locking tool, and the main drive pulley tool( to get that bitch nut off to do my 30t).
That sorry a$$ nut kicked my butt too, but mattVA hold the Title for the most pain experienced from that evil nut!

Old 01-12-2014, 08:15 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts
Smile

Ohhh yah I followed his thread. Damn he felt the pain and probably drank a bottle of jack when the case cracked. Damn.....you live and learn while you forum

Old 01-12-2014, 08:19 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Yes, the Heartland kit is good. Be aware that you'll need 2 cam locking tools, 1 to get the old gears off and a new one for the new gears. They are different. As far as I know, Heartland doesn't make the new one, you'll have to get it from H-D. My dealer had to order it. If you're handy in the garage, it should take you about 5 hours taking your time, and save you about $1000.
Hope this helps.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:35 PM
kink04fxd
Tourer
Received 194 Likes on 90 Posts

Actually, the tool for the new roller chain will work on the silent chain. You just have to wedge it in there.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:28 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by tnhd06
Need to upgrade my 06 heritage tensioners with new SE plate and Andrew 21 cams. All new inner and other bearings, adjustable pushrods and HV oil pump...dealer says 2000.00. I say what special tools do I need to do it myself?...Watch a few YouTube videos on this doesn't look to bad but they had some tools I don't have. Where is a good place to buy the parts and tools to do this? Thanks
I use a tool provided by Gary Beatty. One tool for both removal and install of inner cam bearings. Gary is a member on this forum. The tool works great and is very reasonably priced. Good service and fast delivery.

Contact Gary at:
madtownrydr@yahoo.com

Old 01-13-2014, 07:56 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by alansummrs
That sorry a$$ nut kicked my butt too, but mattVA hold the Title for the most pain experienced from that evil nut!
Never thought I'd hate something so much. Next time I'm using an impact gun! Got the bike out for the first 'real' test yesterday. .highway speeds. .miraculously everything works, no leaks or anything out of place.

Originally Posted by HD Bobber
Ohhh yah I followed his thread. Damn he felt the pain and probably drank a bottle of jack when the case cracked. Damn.....you live and learn while you forum
We're a bourbon household

Old 01-13-2014, 12:13 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by tnhd06
You didn't specify which SE cam plate/kit you are installing; 25284-11, the "hybrid" kit or the 25282-11, which is the upgrade for the '07 and later models. 25284-11 is compatible with the TW21 cams but 25281-11 will require the 21N "conversion" cams. Just need to match the cams with the plate; it can be confusing.

You are right, it's not a difficult job and, depending on mechanical ability, you can avoid the cost of "special" tools. You don't need the cam sprocket locking tool. The cam retaining bolts are torqued to 25# and 35#; they will break loose and can be torqued by putting the trans in 1st gear and standing on the rear brake.

You can rent a blind hole pulle from Auto Zone to remove the inner cam bearings and they can be "tapped" into place using an old cam. Freeze the bearings over night, liberally apply assembly lube to the bearing bosses and the bearing race and the bearings will tap right in. Gary Beatty's tool works well also and it is reasonably priced but even so, for a one time deal, the "shade tree" method works. Or, you might be able to get another forum member to send you their inner bearing R/R tool and all it would cost is the shipping cost; or another forum member might sell you their tool at a discount if they don't plan on using it in the future. The inner bearings go in with numbers facing out.

If the 25284-11, the hybrid cam plate, is the one you will be using you can use the "oven-freezer" method for installing the outer cam bearings; has been employed many times by DIY guys. Freeze the cams overnight, heat the bearings in the oven ( 400* for 20 minute) and the bearings will drop right on. Have a deep well socket (forget the size) handy to tap the bearings to full seat on the cam shoulder should they not drop all the way to the shoulder. The socket ID need to be large enough to fit over the cam nose and sit on the inner race of the bearing.

Once the bearings have been installed on the cams, the cam/bearing assembly goes into the freezer over night. Heat the cam plate up in the oven, like the bearings, and the cam/bearing assembly will drop right in to the bearing bosses. Just make sure you have the dots line up and the cams in time.

If the 25282-11 cam plate is the one you will use, no outer cam bearings to deal with. The conversion cams will slide right into the bronze bushings with no effort at all.

You will need the spacer kit 25285-08; five or six spacers of which you will not need any or could need one but you won't know that until you install the cam sprockets. Some will tell you that you must use new cam sprocket retaining bolts each time but I have used them over and over without issues.

One tool you need for sure is the service manual. One of the most common errors first time DIYers commit is improper oil pump alignment. There are oil pump alignment pins available or you can follow the manual instructions of rotating the rear wheel, plugs out, trans in 5th gear while slowly tightening two of the oil pump fasteners. I am analy about oil pump alignment and don't want any do overs, so I use both.

You can purchase all the OEM parts from an online discount dealer like Newcastle, Surdyke, Ronnies, etc., there are several.

Quick Reply: Tensioners and cam upgrade