Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

ABS performance worse than standard brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 10:43 AM
joebedford
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default ABS performance worse than standard brakes?

I've been thinking of trading my '02 FLHTCUI for a later model ('09 - '13) with ABS. A good friend told me that he has just disconnected his ABS because it made braking worse - longer to stop under heavy braking. I forget what year his is - one of the early years of ABS.

Anybody have any thoughts one way or the other?

Old 09-25-2016, 10:45 AM
Kseeley
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts

The abs saved my life the other day on a 15 limited. Had to stand on the brakes at 60mph because some ahole decided he wanted to be in my lane without checking first.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:28 AM
joebedford
Cruiser

So you didn't think your braking distance was farther because of the ABS?

I guess you're saying the ABS allowed you to brake harder, stay upright and avoid the ahole?

Old 09-27-2016, 07:36 AM
Kseeley
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts

I was not measuring distance, just the fact that I needed to step hard on the brakes without skidding or losing control. Under that criteria, they worked as expected. Hope this helps.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:53 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by joebedford
I've been thinking of trading my '02 FLHTCUI for a later model ('09 - '13) with ABS. A good friend told me that he has just disconnected his ABS because it made braking worse - longer to stop under heavy braking. I forget what year his is - one of the early years of ABS.

Anybody have any thoughts one way or the other?

The efficacy of ABS brakes has remained a talking point for, some, since the day they were first introduced to the automotive industry decades ago.

The issue, in the main, is a settled one but should you decide to do more than keep a weakening narrative alive, your solution is simple. Disconnect your ABS brakes like your "friend" did. Your insurance company will probably be delighted by your decision to disable your ABS brakes.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:47 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

I have read that the early H-D ABS system left a lot to be desired in several ways, one being that it kicked in too early. I have never heard of anyone claim it lengthened braking distance and really do question that. Just doesn't stack up, unless there was something wrong with that bike.

I'm no fan of ABS on a bike, having done 50k with it. In reality most of us can actually brake much harder in all conditions than we think we can, so for many riders ABS is simply a placebo. To activate ABS in perfect conditions will probably require some pretty serious braking input, but I don't accept it will take longer to stop.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:13 AM
joebedford
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HKMark23
The issue, in the main, is a settled one but should you decide to do more than keep a weakening narrative alive, your solution is simple. Disconnect your ABS brakes like your "friend" did.
You should re-read my post: my bike doesn't have ABS. I'm thinking of upgrading to a bike that does have ABS and I was looking for feedback from riders who have used it.

If that's keeping a weakening narrative alive, so be it.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:40 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I have an 08 with ABS. The software is current. I will tell you that in normal braking situations when encountering bumps or any type of situation where there is traction interrupted by a tire not in contact/brief no traction with the road, buckled pavement , wet painted lines etc, and then there is good pavement again, the abs WILL kick in and dump brake pressure. The problem is the system is super slow to rebuild line pressure again and stopping distance will be increased due to this. Its a pretty archaic acting abs and takes what seems forever to let the brakes go back to working in these situations. The bike will stop faster the the rider lets off the brake and gets back on it himself as the system is slower to react than the rider. As far as guys just stomping on the brakes with no regard to road conditions in a panic situation , yeah the abs is way better than an panicked rider in that situation. Its not a cut and dried thing. I think if a guy rides more aggressive he will hate the abs, if he tends to ride more passive then he may like it.

The following 2 users liked this post by qtrracer:
99Birdman (12-13-2019), ssleeper (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 11:52 AM
ssleeper
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not a fan of ABS either. I've had multiple sportbikes, a supermoto & now added a Low Rider S to my stable of currently 3 bikes & only the Harley has ABS. Once I figure out how to bypass it'll get accomplished.

On my daily truck it was as easy as pulling the ABS fuse. For those that think I'm crazy I'd be happy to give you a ride. With the suspension & 37" tires the weight of rolling stock causes the ABS to kick in before it should & the braking distance exponentially multiplies; without ABS line pressure increased & braking distances shortened dramatically.

Old 09-27-2016, 02:37 PM
screaminroadking
Road Master
Received 139 Likes on 64 Posts

Ultimate HDF Member
I have an 08 with ABS. The software is current. I will tell you that in normal braking situations when encountering bumps or any type of situation where there is traction interrupted by a tire not in contact/brief no traction with the road, buckled pavement , wet painted lines etc, and then there is good pavement again, the abs WILL kick in and dump brake pressure. The problem is the system is super slow to rebuild line pressure again and stopping distance will be increased due to this. Its a pretty archaic acting abs and takes what seems forever to let the brakes go back to working in these situations. The bike will stop faster the the rider lets off the brake and gets back on it himself as the system is slower to react than the rider. As far as guys just stomping on the brakes with no regard to road conditions in a panic situation , yeah the abs is way better than an panicked rider in that situation. Its not a cut and dried thing. I think if a guy rides more aggressive he will hate the abs, if he tends to ride more passive then he may like it.

Perfect explanation of what happens on my 08 as well. Just replaced the control module due to failure, with the latest and greatest. Still happens.

Quick Reply: ABS performance worse than standard brakes?