Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Dunlop or Metzeler

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 10:32 AM
oroepke1
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dunlop or Metzeler

What is everybody's opinion on tires? I ride a 1996 FatBoy, pretty much never in the rain (don't we all love Texas!) and need a new rear tire. Currently I got the Dunlops installed, thinking about a Metzeler, but there is something that scares me. A friend (Honda Shadow 1200) uses the Metzeler but the grip of the tire is pretty bad. I saw him crash on a dry road, coming out of a turn because it slipped. For me the Dunlops work fine (they suck on wet roads though) and I tend to stick with them. Thanks for giving me your 2 cents.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:55 AM
hard_head
Tourer
Default RE: Dunlop or Metzeler

I ride a '97 Fat Boy in central Tx and I will not go back to Dunlops... The Metzler ME 880 is a great tire! As for price they are pretty much the same as the Dunlops. The real difference is when you put them on - they are great. Why your buddy slipped coming out of a turn is kinda a weird thing - anything from gravel to just too much lean to a almost bald tire could have done it. But there are way too many threads on here saying go Metzler to let that incident make your decision... just do a search on Metzler and you'll see.

Swede

Old 06-14-2007, 01:00 PM
oroepke1
6th Gear

Thanks Swede. I heard that a Metzler of the same size as the Dunlop is narrower. True?

Old 06-14-2007, 02:14 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

ORIGINAL: oroepke1

What is everybody's opinion on tires? I ride a 1996 FatBoy, pretty much never in the rain (don't we all love Texas!) and need a new rear tire. Currently I got the Dunlops installed, thinking about a Metzeler, but there is something that scares me. A friend (Honda Shadow 1200) uses the Metzeler but the grip of the tire is pretty bad. I saw him crash on a dry road, coming out of a turn because it slipped. For me the Dunlops work fine (they suck on wet roads though) and I tend to stick with them. Thanks for giving me your 2 cents.
I haven't heard of traction problems with Metzelers, but I will be trying something new next time I need a rear tire. I ran only D402's on my '96 RK, which I rode through 33 states and 106k miles, and had only two scary moments in that time, riding through rain, hail, wind, and one tropical storm. None caused any accidents and that bike never went down in that nine-year period. One such tense moment was oil on a wet road in SD, and the second a yellow plastic lane marker on a wet, twisty Cherahala Skyway in NC. Other than this, the D402's I've used have been stellar performers.

I always got 12-14k on the RK's 130-90 (MT90) D402's, but this new SG has the MU85's and I'll be lucky to get 10k out of the first tire. That's not good enough. So, I will be trying a Dunlop Elite 3 next time around. These were originally made for Gold Wings to address tire-wear problems with these big bikes. The feedback I'm hearing is that they are excellent performers and one HD Dresser owner claimed he got 16k out of one. I'll find out for myself after using the last new D402 I have here. That'll be sometime next year, though.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:19 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I use Flop Elite III's

Old 06-22-2007, 07:39 AM
Edmo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've switched to Metzler's on 2 bikesand noted a slightly better grip and ride.My analysis was purely "feel" and not scientific, but the Metzler's are good tires.You guys who get 10K miles plus on a rear tiremust be living right. With bothmy Heritage and now my RK Classic it seems Igo througha rear tire every 9-10K miles and a front tire every 20K or so. That is with very little 2-up riding (I weigh 185 lbs) and I don't carry a lot of extra weight on my bike.

Have you guys seen the Dunlop white walls with "Harley Davidson" mini black letters in the white portion? Are they only available at the stealer? I'm coming up on tire time and would like to try a set, but my indy can't seem to find them in his books.

Edmo

Old 06-23-2007, 10:16 AM
Humorous Cyclone
5th Gear

Does anyone know why Metzeler is so vague when it comes to recommended tire pressures? maybe it's just buried in their website and I can't find it. I'm running ME 880 Marathon 130/90-16M/C 67H on the front and 160/80 B 16 M/C 75 H on the rear. What's the recommended pressure? Thanks.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:35 AM
2kflhr
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Humorous Cyclone

Does anyone know why Metzeler is so vague when it comes to recommended tire pressures? maybe it's just buried in their website and I can't find it. I'm running ME 880 Marathon 130/90-16M/C 67H on the front and 160/80 B 16 M/C 75 H on the rear. What's the recommended pressure? Thanks.
I e-mailed Metzeler and the reply was 48-50 for the rear and 42-44 for the front.

Old 06-30-2007, 07:48 PM
Edmo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Update to the Metz - Lop issue...

I just had to change out the rear Metz on my RK Classic at 8,300 miles after I notedit was showingcords. No 2-up riding on it, no"burn-outs",and Iroutinely check my tire pressure.

I expected another 500-1000 miles, but no luck. I'm just glad Inoticed it before it gave way. I promptly trailered the scootdown to my local indy and had it replaced with a Dunlop. Hopefully I'll get a few more miles out ofthe Dunlop.

Edmo

Old 06-30-2007, 10:49 PM
Boomshaw
Advanced

ORIGINAL: oroepke1

Thanks Swede. I heard that a Metzler of the same size as the Dunlop is narrower. True?
I believe that it is the other way around. A Metzler is a bit wider than a Dunlop of the same size. How anyone can think that the Dunlop that comes stock on your Harley has better grip than a Metzler 880 Marathon I don't know. After a ride on both, feel them. Which one has all the road debris stuck to it? I have never had a spooky grip incident on the Metzlers like I did on my stock Dunlops. The Metzlers most probably will wear a bit faster as they are softer and it is a trade off between longevity or a little more road traction. I'll take the traction. Its your life. I would rather buy a new tire a couple of thousand miles before my dunlop riding friend then lose traction but have plenty of tread left on the tire.

The Metzlers are also rated "slightly" lower in load rating than the stock Dunlops, but close enough it shouldn't matter unless you load your bike to the load limit in your owner's manual! They also require a bit more air pressure and do not like being underinflated. I believe that the Dunlops may do a better job of staying on the rim if they should go flat while running them then the Metzlers or Avons. I run 42 pounds front and rear on Metzler 880 Marathons instead of the 36 front and 36-40 rear on the stock Dunlops.

Compare hard rubber soled boots to soft rubber sole boots. Which wear longer? Which feel better under your feet when traction counts?

Now the Dunlop Elite 3... sounds good. I don't know anyone running it yet though. I will stay with my Mets until the Elite 3 is truly proven with those I ride with and I can find it at nearly every dealer around me so it is easy to procure on the road.

Quick Reply: Dunlop or Metzeler