Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

An easier way to adjust a Springer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 02:19 PM
SJ12DS
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default An easier way to adjust a Springer?

Just wanted check with some of the Harley techs or Springer gurus out there that are members of this forum to see if there is an easier way to adjust the Springer frontend both the neck and the rocker bearings. In the service manual you have to nearly take the whole front end(fender, wheel, caliper, and everything else) apart to adjust the rocker bearings. The Fall away for the springer you have to remove the hand controls and minimize the weight from the front end to get an accurate Fall away measurement. I just wanted to know if there are any shortcuts or tech tips on doing a quick and accurate measurement for the fall away and if you can just torque the front end to a certain spec without removing everything from the frontend for the Rocker bearing adjustments. I am new to Springers but I love the look. How serious is it if the Rocker bearings aren't adjusted? Have there been alot of problems with the Rocker bearings going bad? I want to do the maintenance on the Springer right, but if there are easier ways of doing it that would be great. No need to re-invent the wheel when others have been there and done that. Thanks.

Old 06-20-2006, 03:51 PM
twowheelsforever
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: An easier way to adjust a Springer?

I just purchased a used Springer this spring, and I'd be interested in any pointers as well. I purchased a service manual, but am wondering if there are any other Springer owners with tips or anything to look out for...

Thanks.

Old 06-21-2006, 12:35 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Springers are a hoot and very easy to work on.....

The manual is actually pretty accurate in getting the proper feel and "Rock and Roll" for the road .....

A properly dialed in set of rockers will allow the bike to "Float" on the road surface.......

As far as the Fall-Away... I will always go on the tight side (2 inches), to prevent a tank slapper as well as a firmer feel in cornering.....

To do the "Proper" servicing, You will need to invest in a few special tools (1/2 allen bit, 1 1/2 crowsfoot, inch lb torque wrench-dial, hand made star-wheel adjuster tool, plumb bob to name a few...)

Old 06-21-2006, 01:32 PM
SJ12DS
Tourer

Thanks Shovelhead Bob. I was hoping that you would reply to this one. So Stay with what the Service manual says? Now I know what the torque wrench and plum bob are for but what is the crows foot and the starwheel adjuster used for? I know what a crows foot and star wheel adjuster are, but not sure where on the bike you would use them. Are you using the Crows Foot in place of the special tool use for the neck adjustment? I know in the service manual it list a special tool for the Fall away adjustment but I don't have my manual with me at the moment, so I am not sure if the Rocker Bearing adjustment says to use a special tool or not. Thanks.

Old 06-21-2006, 03:35 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

Crows Foot is for torquing the main nut on the rockers as you hold the allen Plug with another wrench... Real joy for the uncoordinated.....

Old 06-21-2006, 05:15 PM
SJ12DS
Tourer

Sounds like a lot of fun. Thank you for your help. It sounds like you really like working on Springers. That must be why people say that they look good but are a pain in the a$$ when you have to work on them. Well I guess I will stick with the tried and true service manual and do my best not to F#@K anything up.[8D]

Old 06-21-2006, 05:46 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

If you run into prob's ping me.....

Old 04-06-2009, 06:11 PM
coyotee
Advanced
Default springer maintenance

got an '09 crossbones and need to do the 500 mile service on the front end. got a manual on the way. need some hep

Old 04-06-2009, 06:29 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

See above post irt tools and Service Manual procedures for doing it....

Old 04-16-2009, 04:02 PM
coyotee
Advanced

I set up to do the fall away on my 09 crossbones today by the manual. No fall away
on the brake lever side plenty the caliper side.

Quick Reply: An easier way to adjust a Springer?