Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Panhead motor doesn't fit in frame

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 01:57 PM
vipersniper
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Panhead motor doesn't fit in frame

Hey Guys I am hoping someone can help, I have a 1965 Panhead motor and tranny that I tried to put in a swingarm frame that was given to me with the bike as it wasn't in its original frame, I was told this was a 65 repro frame so of course I had it powdercoated and started the change over and come to find out the motor will not fit, the rear head is very tight against the top frame and the down tube. I am thinking maybe I have a 64 frame but unsure because this fame is a reproduction and no stampings, was there different swingarms for 64 and 65 or do I have a 66 or newer repro? just wondering if there are alot of variations and what my best options are as I know an original 65 swingarm frame may be hard to come by.
thankyou
VP

Old 01-21-2013, 02:12 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Just talking outloud here...58-64 Big twin panheads were Duo Glide, kick only and 65 was the first year for electric start. Is it possible you are trying to put an electric start panhead into a 64 and earlier frame not 65 as you were told?

Old 01-21-2013, 02:15 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

I believe this is right for 64-66 Big Twin
64 = Panhead kick start - Duoglide
65 = panhead Electric Start - Pan Electra Glide
66 = Shovelhead Electric Start - Shovel Electra Glide

Old 01-21-2013, 02:24 PM
vipersniper
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Scrmnvtwins
Just talking outloud here...58-64 Big twin panheads were Duo Glide, kick only and 65 was the first year for electric start. Is it possible you are trying to put an electric start panhead into a 64 and earlier frame not 65 as you were told?
That is a possibility as I believed what I was told as he was told the same when he purchased the frame but not knowing the differences I am stumped, here is a picture of what I have.
thanks
VP

Attached Thumbnails Panhead motor doesn't fit in frame-imag0322.jpg  
Old 01-21-2013, 03:01 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

OK so you are saying the rear cylinder rocker pan is hitting the top of the seat post where it meets the frame backbone. I just looked online and there are 2 replacement frames for 64-65 FLH. To my knowledge the only difference was electric start. So that said, Is your inner primary for electric start and can you mount the motor in the frame without the inner primary? I guess I am looking for is it possible to put your powder coated frame together as a kick only 1964 assuming you have a 64 frame and the 64 64 panhead cases are the same.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:21 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

With the bottom end case tab sitting on top of the frame tab at the seat post, can you get 2 bolts in the frame? Is your top motor mount forcing the back pan against the frame? Have you tried to ignore the top mount and attach the inner primary and connect to the transmission? Is it possible the top mount front to rear bracket is not correct?

Old 01-21-2013, 06:52 PM
vipersniper
Cruiser

OK so you are saying the rear cylinder rocker pan is hitting the top of the seat post where it meets the frame backbone. I just looked online and there are 2 replacement frames for 64-65 FLH. To my knowledge the only difference was electric start. So that said, Is your inner primary for electric start and can you mount the motor in the frame without the inner primary? I guess I am looking for is it possible to put your powder coated frame together as a kick only 1964 assuming you have a 64 frame and the 64 64 panhead cases are the same.
I cannot put the motor in alone as the rear rocker pan hits the frame, I did however put the tranny in and holes lined up.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:55 PM
vipersniper
Cruiser

With the bottom end case tab sitting on top of the frame tab at the seat post, can you get 2 bolts in the frame? Is your top motor mount forcing the back pan against the frame? Have you tried to ignore the top mount and attach the inner primary and connect to the transmission? Is it possible the top mount front to rear bracket is not correct?
The rear tab with the bolt holes on the engine will not sit flush with the frame mount tab as there is a 1/8" gap. The top motor mount does not seem to be a problem.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:06 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

I find it difficult to believe the front 1/2 of the frame is different between 64 and 65. I could see the back 1/2 behind the seat post different for the new electric start inner primary for 65. (Background in your picture) Is it possible the tins need to be removed so you can get the motor in the frame and dropped down on the mount plates? Replying to keep you front and center, it would be nice if someone else could chime in here.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:08 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by vipersniper
The rear tab with the bolt holes on the engine will not sit flush with the frame mount tab as there is a 1/8" gap. The top motor mount does not seem to be a problem.
So cases are sitting down on front mount and pan tin on rear cylinder is hitting frame and keeping cases from resting in seated position on top of rear frame tab.

Quick Reply: Panhead motor doesn't fit in frame