Fuel Moto / Jackpot Mufflers USA's leader in EFI tuning and exhaust systems.

Question about ceramic coated head pipes.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 05:34 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Question about ceramic coated head pipes.

Jamie,
I have a question for you.
I was reading in some thread or another that FM will be coming out with ceramic coated head pipes in the near future. I really like the idea using ceramic coated head pipes to help manage the heat on my new bike. Then I realized there was a possible issue with them.
If I run ceramic coated head pipes they will insulate the pipes and keep more of the heat inside the pipes. This means the exhaust temp going into the muffler should be noticbly hotter.
Question - If the exhaust temps into the muffler(s) are higher will I need to worry about my muffler(s) turning blue? I ask because on my last bike, a 2009 FLSTC with a Thunderheader I noticed some blueing at the start of the muffler after less than 10,000 miles. Since this was after the heat shields there was nothing to hide it.
Anyway please let me know what you think or if you did any testing for this.
Thanks,

Old 01-22-2011, 05:41 PM
viperr817
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to jet hot website and u will learn a ton. I had my headers coated by them, now i believe when companies claim ceramic coated they mean jet hot, or hi temp paint, Big difference. I have not installed my coated header pipe, as i am waiting to break my bike in. But my good buddy runs a huge tractor in tractor pulls, the ones that have three motors and run of methanol. Well he had jet hot do all of his headers 8 yrs ago, and prior to that they would glow red hot after one pass pulling a sled! Since no red hot at all! Enough proof for me. BTW im talking 15,000 Horsepower tractor!

Old 01-22-2011, 05:43 PM
viperr817
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW, for my header and cross under it was $200 FYI to be coated.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:15 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

The heat from our bike egines has to go somewhere...
If some of it does not radiate thru the walls of the header then all of it must go out thru the muffler...
I had Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow classes in Nuclear Power school. The heat has be going somewhere!
Running ceramic coated open headers has little or nothing to do with my question.
Will the extra heat staying in the exhaust stream make my muffler turn blue?

Old 01-24-2011, 11:16 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,108 Likes on 1,340 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
Jamie,
I have a question for you.
I was reading in some thread or another that FM will be coming out with ceramic coated head pipes in the near future. I really like the idea using ceramic coated head pipes to help manage the heat on my new bike. Then I realized there was a possible issue with them.
If I run ceramic coated head pipes they will insulate the pipes and keep more of the heat inside the pipes. This means the exhaust temp going into the muffler should be noticbly hotter.
Question - If the exhaust temps into the muffler(s) are higher will I need to worry about my muffler(s) turning blue? I ask because on my last bike, a 2009 FLSTC with a Thunderheader I noticed some blueing at the start of the muffler after less than 10,000 miles. Since this was after the heat shields there was nothing to hide it.
Anyway please let me know what you think or if you did any testing for this.
Thanks,
With ceramic coating there is less heat absorbed into the pipes themselves, while exhaust gas temp is greatly influenced by air/fuel mixture rather than the pipe coating which by comparison is insignifigant. The coating will not cause discoloration in any way as it will actually be more resistant to discoloration as the muffler is clamping to a cooler surface. The ceramic coating is a $99.00 option

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com