General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

York Factory Open House Demo Ride Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 07:24 PM
Lightyear68
Tourer
Received 121 Likes on 44 Posts
Default York Factory Open House Demo Ride Review

I'm writing this review for people who are on the fence about whether to participate in HD demo rides at a large event.

In past years I've been too intimidated by the looks of the process to get involved, but this year I went for it. Man am I glad I did. I'm hooked, and can't wait until next year to demo every bike on the lot!

Here's the experience I had demo riding at the 2014 York Factory Open House:

(1) Arrive early, as the lines will be 1 to 2 hours of wait time by 12 noon. Bring your driver's license and minimum gear to include boots, long pants, and DOT helmet.
(2) Wait in line to get your riding ticket voucher. Staff will check your riding gear, scan your driver's license, and ensure you have a MC endorsement. They'll ask you if you accept the risk of riding and whether you waive your right to sue if you get hurt. If you agree then they click the computer mouse a few times checking the yes boxes and your voucher prints. The voucher is good for the duration of the event, so keep it. Move onto the riding lines now.
(3) The riding lines are marked with signs featuring selected bike types. This event had three lines: Trikes; Sportys and Dynas; Touring Bikes.
(4) I got into the Sporty/Dyna line at 10 AM and moved up to the bike assignment table in about 15 minutes. (Arrive early because by noon this process took an hour, and the trike line was up to 2 hours.)
(5) At the assignment table, staff asked me the type of bike I wanted to ride and checked my voucher. They assigned me a specific sporty by telling me to look for the black 48 and to check in with the HD rep who would orient me to the bike.
(6) I moved up to the group of riders waiting for their bikes to return from the previous demo ride. When the black 48 returned, I walked up and told the HD rep that I was next on the Sporty.
(7) The guy was cool, asked me if I was comfortable with all the controls, explained the demo ride route, and he gave me the green light to ride away.
(8) The demo ride route was easy to follow, marked by large arrows painted HD orange. I left the parking lot, turned right onto Rt 30, travelled about 1/4 mile in heavy traffic, and then made a series of right turns through town roads at 30-40 mph. The last right brought me back onto Rt 30 for 1/4 mile and then right back into the HD lot.
(9) I parked, told the HD rep everything was cool, and got back into the same line to ride the Dyna Low Rider. No need to get back in the license voucher line--the same ticket gets you rides all day long.
(10) I found the second ride much more fun because I knew the route.

So if you're on the fence like I was--GO FOR IT.

And for the record--my favorite demo was the Low Rider.

Last edited by Lightyear68; 09-19-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:38 PM
wwiiavfan
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 490 Posts

Glad you enjoyed it, but that seems like a lot of hubbub for a demo ride.
Does your dealer not offer demo rides otherwise?
Around here, almost every Saturday, you can drop by the dealer and ride any bike you want (same riding gear and license rules apply).
I haven't had to wait for a test ride yet.
If you want, you can even make an appointment to test ride any other time.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:57 PM
1Sparks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 318 Likes on 231 Posts

Did they have the cvo road glide? Someone dropped it in the lot here two weeks ago. I liked the low rider until I got on the breakout.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:02 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Lightyear wrote:
[[ (2) Wait in line to get your riding ticket voucher. Staff will check your riding gear, scan your driver's license, and ensure you have a MC endorsement. They'll ask you if you accept the risk of riding and whether you waive your right to sue if you get hurt. If you agree then they click the computer mouse a few times checking the yes boxes and your voucher prints. The voucher is good for the duration of the event, so keep it. Move onto the riding lines now. ]]

I was in York on Thursday. First time on the Harley factory demos in about 10 years.

The registration process was extremely slow. The last time I demo'd Harleys, you filled out a paper release and presented your license, which they checked against a "book" with samples of licenses from all fifty states. Now they run your license through a scanner, ask you a few questions "by computer".
It worked better in the old days, the registration went much faster. Modern technology has NOT improved it.

[[ (3) The riding lines are marked with signs featuring selected bike types. This event had three lines: Trikes; Sportys and Dynas; Touring Bikes. ]]

You weren't there on Thursday. On Thursday, there was only -one- line (after registration). You lined up, and when you got to the table you told them what you were interested in. They marked you up on the particular bike's paper, and then you were sent to the bike. Perhaps things changed on Friday.

Having said that, on Thursday, the "second line" moved fairly quick. I was able to get off one bike, and get on another within about 15 minutes. My main interest was the new Road Glide, rode four different ones they had. Also took a fifth trip on a Road King. I could have gotten out once or maybe even twice more, but opted for the factory tour instead.

[[ (8) The demo ride route was easy to follow ]]

Somebody did it right this time. The "demo route" was the best I'd yet been on at York. In "the old days" when the demos were in the old parking lot for the old building, you went up Eden drive to Paradise Road, right and down the hill, and back. Then, when they had the demos at the Fair Grounds, that route was a bit longer but slow and in traffic. The present day route was good, only short distances on Route 30 which is jammed with traffic.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:01 PM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

Did the KC plant the weekend before, just FYI once you check in for a specific bike you can't go check in for a second one with a shorter line the system will kick you back out of the first bike you registered for.

Originally Posted by wwiiavfan
Glad you enjoyed it, but that seems like a lot of hubbub for a demo ride.
Does your dealer not offer demo rides otherwise?
Around here, almost every Saturday, you can drop by the dealer and ride any bike you want (same riding gear and license rules apply).
I haven't had to wait for a test ride yet.
If you want, you can even make an appointment to test ride any other time.
Our local dealer here will gladly let you ride any used bike they have on the lot provided you sign the waiver and have your gear etc. But it's best to do that on a weekday, I sent someone to the local dealer they showed up on a Saturday when the dealership was slam packed with a special event and got pissed off when they were told sorry man, but we'd love to have you back on weekday or Saturday when we aren't having a special event. Some peoples children.

Most dealerships are going to be more receptive to test rides on a weekday. The Demo truck lets you try a brand new model year that your local dealer may not have a used model of available.

The route at the KC operations and powerplant factory was 17 miles long IIRC enough time for you to get familiar with the ride.