Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seems to be

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 07:44 PM
teach
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seems to be

Quite a few posts on the page with regards to no confidence on this, or went down on that....

Now I'm far from what I would consider a excellent rider, just average for my 35+ years, but these posts jogged a memory from the past. Unlike the HD ridersone see's on the roadstoday, HD riders of the past could ride. (please don't take this as an insult and read on).

I grew up when the crowd riding HD's were either vets or bikers, when motorcycle enthusiasts wanted to distance themselves from the HD bad guy perceptions most of society held. These HD guys lived on their bikes with many it was their only form of transportation, and they could really ride. Not MSF or any other course type riding, I mean they could ride a HD like it was a bmx bike. I recall many a ride when I would see these folks on the road and thinking to myself, if they are riding a HD, then the pack is safe as can be. This of course was in complete contrast to the metric or european riding crowd which were the original urban riders and frankly quite scary to ride in a pack with.

I was stationed in Florida when the AMA came out with the first MC safety/skills course, and I attended it. The instructor was an old shaggy lookin biker dude that rode a HD. He informed the class that you could bank on one certainty, "if you see anyone riding a HD you can bet that person can ride." My observations and experience suggested to me, that was true. We lost more than 2/3 of a class of 25 he was teaching. Most who dropped were too afraid to perform the manuevers required for passing the class, but pass I did. Its been some time since that first class and probably a good 15 rider courses attended since, but thats not all that has changed.

Back thenif you saw a HD, you need not fear.....Today is a much different scenario. Every other rider on the road is riding a Harley, many with no more experience than having attended MSF. However the biggest change is that riding is the "thing to do" and not something you do/did. I cant remember a time since the age of 7 I haven't been on two wheels, nor do I fear when I'm out there. You see there has never been a time when cagers weren't doing something stupid, when the painted lines weren't slippery, when they weren't eating/drinking/reading the paper, when a rider didn't need to be alert andanticipating.
Someone said to me the other day, that his biking is a dangerous hobby.... I suggested if he wants a hobby model building might be a safer choice. Riding isn't a hobby, its not something to fear, and NO there are NOT two types of riders (those who have been down & those that will).
Ride and enjoy, but if you find you are afraid and apprehensive more than you are at ease, you might consider your choice of "hobby."
Stay alert out there, but enjoy the ride........... T

Old 07-20-2007, 08:04 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: Seems to be

Don't know that ah agree with everything, but a lot ah do....

Since ah don't make a livin' on the bike, ah consider it a hobby. Now, we may be talkin' crick an' creek here, 'cuz ah suspect yer referrin' to the mindset of the rider. To me, ownin' a bike isn't an option - it's a way of life. Been ridin' since the age of 12, when ah swapped an old Indian fer haulin' hay. Have owned a bike of one type or another since. The ex didn't ride, didn't want to ride, an' came up with every excuse in the book as ah put 60,000 miles on it in 15 months or so. That's got a LOT ta do with why she's an "ex". Current wife had never been on a bike afore she climbed on behind me durin' an early date, because one key factor for ANY gal ah wuz gonna git involved with was that she HAD ta ride - period. With me or beside me didn't matter - but she had ta ride. She fell in love with ridin' - in the ensuin' 9 years, we've never once vacationed without bein' on a bike. She's done SS1000's with me (jest one, but by heaven she DID it), an' several near SS's.
Ah kin come home with a new widget fer the bike, an' she's excited with it. Can go to "the den" (what she teasingly calls the local dealer), an' she'll point stuff out that she thinks would be nice for the bike.
Ah disagree with the "no there are not two types of riders" - because if yer gonna sit there an' tell me you've NEVER been down, then ah'm gonna tell ya that you've never ridden to yer full potential. Mah "down time" has primarily been off road - learnin' the bike, figgerin' out the tricks an' techniques that have stood me in good stead over the years. Ah'll still take a bike ta the edge from time ta time, jest 'cuz ah enjoy it - but NEVER with the better half along.
Old breed? Ah dunno - mebbe ah am, mebbe not. Don't have no tatts, never felt a hankerin'/need fer 'em. If others have 'em that's their choice, but jest not fer me. Have had mah share of run-ins with different groups, an' so far ah've kept up mah side of the game. If yer on the side of the road, ah'll stop an' see if ya need help - don't care WHAT kinda bike ya ride. Ah've seen some that say they won't stop if it ain't a HD, but to those I say "WANNA-BE"! Two wheels is two wheels - if it's a MoCo product so much the better - but two is two.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:16 PM
amstaffs
Advanced

I ride mine 365 i had a f-150 and never drove it sold it to build my 95" and i love it no matter what time it is except below 34 deg gets a little cool on the jewls. Also i do it by choice my ex said me or the harley well i still have my HARLEY

Old 07-20-2007, 09:21 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with onething and that is to enjoy the ride---grew in SFin the 60s and 70s HDs were dominant as they still are today-----I remember staring in the window at Dudley Perkins HD knowing one day (we passed the shop after church going to Sunday dinner) I'd have bike. On my second HD and third bike that I owned.

Every other rider on the road is riding a Harley, many with no more experience than having attended MSF--but without scienctific data don't think it has much validity IMHO this is a good thing ----you get experience by riding not osmosis---MSF is a foundation to build on. There is no subsitute for getting out there and riding.

I personnally enjoy seeing and hearing a group of HD riders in formation going down the road----it's a beautiful thing. My son (21) is druelling to get a HD he will be a new inexpierenced rider---after he takes the MSF course and guidance from other riders he will proudly carry on the my family's HD tradition. Please show him some respect.

really don't think that all of todays riders can be put into one group and assupmtions made (or for that matter HDriders of years gone by----- I don't believe that all riders onHDswere good riders----more like the older I get the better yesterday(s) were.

riding is a hobby but so is tennis, coaching basketball, traveling, doing yard work, walking, etc.

I have been down due to a lapse of attention/concentration but I did not stay down.

For me riding is fun, dangerous yes --- but so is weight lifting--certainly nothing to fear

(flame suit is on and buckled up).

[quote]ORIGINAL: teach

Quite a few posts on the page with regards to no confidence on this, or went down on that....

Now I'm far from what I would consider a excellent rider, just average for my 35+ years, but these posts jogged a memory from the past. Unlike the HD ridersone see's on the roadstoday, HD riders of the past could ride. (please don't take this as an insult and read on).

I grew up when the crowd riding HD's were either vets or bikers, when motorcycle enthusiasts wanted to distance themselves from the HD bad guy perceptions most of society held. These HD guys lived on their bikes with many it was their only form of transportation, and they could really ride. Not MSF or any other course type riding, I mean they could ride a HD like it was a bmx bike. I recall many a ride when I would see these folks on the road and thinking to myself, if they are riding a HD, then the pack is safe as can be. This of course was in complete contrast to the metric or european riding crowd which were the original urban riders and frankly quite scary to ride in a pack with.

I was stationed in Florida when the AMA came out with the first MC safety/skills course, and I attended it. The instructor was an old shaggy lookin biker dude that rode a HD. He informed the class that you could bank on one certainty, "if you see anyone riding a HD you can bet that person can ride." My observations and experience suggested to me, that was true. We lost more than 2/3 of a class of 25 he was teaching. Most who dropped were too afraid to perform the manuevers required for passing the class, but pass I did. Its been some time since that first class and probably a good 15 rider courses attended since, but thats not all that has changed.

Back thenif you saw a HD, you need not fear.....Today is a much different scenario. Every other rider on the road is riding a Harley, many with no more experience than having attended MSF. However the biggest change is that riding is the "thing to do" and not something you do/did. I cant remember a time since the age of 7 I haven't been on two wheels, nor do I fear when I'm out there. You see there has never been a time when cagers weren't doing something stupid, when the pa

Old 07-20-2007, 10:48 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I started riding mini bikes (you know lawn mower engine in a frame) at about 12, then moved up.
Lost count of bikes over the years, but has been 10 at least.
I had my fair share of spills. Sometimes my fault sometimes theirs.
Only totalled two bikes. Bought one back and rebuilt it.
Never got more than a couple bruises . Luck and knowing when where and how to fall and when to let go of the dang thing once you're down.
Did the very first Barstow to Vegas Enduro run back in '73 I think it was.
Even with all my time in the saddle there are still some things that make me uneasy. But I live with them and ride through them.
Yep I think there are at least two types of riders out there.
bikers (because of lifstyle) vs. wannabees or wish they were
those that have gone down vs those that will
those that have been wet vs those that might get wet (they will be if they
ride long enough)
As long as no snow or ice actually on the roadway I ride daily.
About 15 miles oneway.
And it gets pretty dang cold here in Wyoming ( even snows in July).
Warmer coat and socks and away we go!