General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another test ride.........

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 03:53 PM
Afdharley
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Yet another test ride.........

Rode down to Rommel HD in Annapolis to get a look at Harley's Livewire electric bike. You had to register in advance for a ride and I didn't make the cut. Stopped at the registration desk and was out on a waiting list. In the mean time, they had one set up on a roller so you could get some throttle time. No line so I hoped on. First thing I was told was to keep it below 65mph or it would cause problems with the rollers. Throttle response on this thing is crazy fast and when you let off you get a lot of engine braking that regenerates to the battery. Whining noise from the electric motor got annoying fast. Mostly because it wasn't moving, just revving up.

So we walker around looking at new bikes and grabbed a pulled pork sandwich. Just as I was about to take my first bite. This girl comes over and says they had a no show for a ride and I could have the spot. Filled out the waiver while finishing the sandwich, watched their quick video and headed off for the bike.

I was shown to my ride and said I would be the first bike behind the cop leading the ride.

To start the bike you turn on the run switch, then touch the start button for 2 seconds. Then you hear a hum and if you touch the throttle the bike will take off. Seating position is very sport bike like, to me and would take some time to get used to. Pegs are towards the rear. No clutch lever, just brake. Other controls were standard harley fare.

Like I said, throttle response is quick. As we took off you had to be careful not to give too much. Torque and acceleration were very strong and linear. Didn't fall off at all, it just kept pulling. I managed to hit 65+ on the city circuit the took us on.

Really a fun bike to ride. I'm interested where HD takes this. I know the purists won't like it but I think it does have it's place.

Old 09-20-2014, 03:54 PM
Afdharley
Road Master

Old 09-20-2014, 07:10 PM
tomt
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd like to have one just because.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:45 PM
jmb79
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What, if anything, does the electric motor sound like while riding?

Old 09-20-2014, 09:10 PM
DelRider
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Afdharley
I know the purists won't like it but I think it does have it's place.
Life moves forward, purists die off to be replaced by new "purists." There is a time and place for everything. Sure, right now, if you are a mile eater, these don't make sense. But as you elude to, those in city environments or are in need of a bike for commuter hops, these will make perfect sense. How cool would that be to never have to go to a gas station again and none of the mechanical headaches of an IC engine as far a local hops go? Pull out the V-Twin for recreation and big mile applications. I'd like to have one AND a Tesla, dangit. Someone give me some money .

Old 09-20-2014, 10:00 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

I want to ride one. I didn't know they were doing demo's on them.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:36 AM
Afdharley
Road Master

Originally Posted by DelRider
Life moves forward, purists die off to be replaced by new "purists." There is a time and place for everything. Sure, right now, if you are a mile eater, these don't make sense. But as you elude to, those in city environments or are in need of a bike for commuter hops, these will make perfect sense. How cool would that be to never have to go to a gas station again and none of the mechanical headaches of an IC engine as far a local hops go? Pull out the V-Twin for recreation and big mile applications. I'd like to have one AND a Tesla, dangit. Someone give me some money .
You hit the nail on the head. I've been a fan of Tesla since the beginning. I would love to own this Livewire. It was a lot of fun to ride. Even had someone come up at a stop light and ask what it was.

Add some bags of some sort, change the riding position for me and it would be great to commute or a quick grocery store run. Shoot, I'd cruise it around just for the fun. I've never felt torque like it had, and it never stopped pulling.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:38 AM
Afdharley
Road Master

Originally Posted by jmb79
What, if anything, does the electric motor sound like while riding?
It sounds much like a jet engine whining. I thought it would be annoying but it actually wasn't. I remember reading a while back that the noise is from the gears. They cut them to make the noise so the bike could be heard.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:42 AM
Afdharley
Road Master

Originally Posted by JekyllnHyde
I want to ride one. I didn't know they were doing demo's on them.
I got lucky. I knew they were traveling around for demo rides but thought I had missed all that were close to me. Happened to look at this dealers web site and saw the details. You had to register via email, I did but never got a response back. Went anyway and they put me on a waiting list (only 5 names deep) and a few people were no shows so I got a ride.

If it comes close to me again I would take another ride.

Search it out and good luck.