General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

burned out

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 12:32 AM
streetglidetroy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burned out

Hey guys hows it going? Its been a while since Ive been on here. Got a question for some/most of you. Here recently I've found that I just have no motivation to ride, and I figured that's just because I was ready to move on. But however today, I just took my bike out for a nice 130 mile ride. It was nice to feel the wind again!! I've come to the conclusion that I still love riding... but Im just tired of riding the same damn roads over and over, and over again. So how do some of you guys ride the same roads multiples of times, looking at the same scenery without losing interest?

Old 09-21-2014, 01:28 AM
Str8chuter
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by streetglidetroy
Hey guys hows it going? Its been a while since Ive been on here. Got a question for some/most of you. Here recently I've found that I just have no motivation to ride, and I figured that's just because I was ready to move on. But however today, I just took my bike out for a nice 130 mile ride. It was nice to feel the wind again!! I've come to the conclusion that I still love riding... but Im just tired of riding the same damn roads over and over, and over again. So how do some of you guys ride the same roads multiples of times, looking at the same scenery without losing interest?

Count your blessings, you live in Nebraska. You can ride to wherever you decide to point your bike. I'm on an island about 50 miles long and 20 miles wide, if I put 130 miles on my Sportster during a ride, I count it as an excellent day and I might just celebrate by stopping at a burger joint for a grilled blackened mahi-mahi fish sandwich. Yep, taste so good we named it twice. There are rides I have taken so many times that I'm sure my Sportster could navigate them on its own with no input from me (almost).

Ride Safe - Ride Smart

"He Who Lives In Joy Does His Creator's Will".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca. 1750's

Old 09-21-2014, 01:42 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,480 Likes on 2,478 Posts

Ya know; the same thing has been happening to me. It's a beautiful, sunny warm day, like it is here most of the year, I live in the country with some of the prettiest roads in the state as soon as I leave my driveway, got a beautiful ***** of a Harley sittin' in the garage, & many times, like today, I just can't get motivated to ride. So instead, I'm sitting in front of a computer or the TV. I think it's because of late I would rather have a destination, than just riding aimlessly like I have always done in the past. Or maybe riding is just losing its "cache", or maybe I'm just limiting my saddle time 'causewhen I DO ride, I find I enjoy it more than when I was riding every day. Either way, when I come home from a ride these days, I feel really good.

Dr. Dickey's prescription? Take a little break, & maybe it will come back.

Old 09-21-2014, 02:10 AM
Who Dey
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find yourself a hot babe to put on the back and you will love riding again and wont be able to stay off of the bike!

Old 09-21-2014, 02:28 AM
ROLLNTIGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm right there with ya. Have many friends that just don't ride anymore. Here in Houston the riding is boring and so many texters... You have to ride an hour in any direction to get out of the city and I find myself making more and more excuses. I ride to work a lot but that's only 6 miles! I wonder all the time if I lived somewhere else would I ride more?

Old 09-21-2014, 02:48 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Not me. Here in Wisconsin, you always have to pay attention, looking for deer. Plus all the usual cager shenanigans. So every ride is different. I just took my car down to my grandson's. It was nice to have the comforts of a car, but I would rather have had my bike.

It is a 100 mile ride, and I do it several times a month. I couldn't take my bike, because it is at the dealer for service.

One big motivator up North, is the limited time to ride. You have to make hay while the sun shines. Not sure of the topography outside Houston. If it is Interstates, I agree they are boring. Do you have 2 lanes? They are my favorite.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:21 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

I guess I have never really had the thrill of riding.
My bike is my transportation, it goes from point A
to point B, just about like my pick up does on cold
or rainy days

Old 09-21-2014, 07:40 AM
cajun555
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I live in the south side of the metroplex. I always leave out south, west, or east; never north. I'll take super slabs for 100 or so miles, then take back roads back home. Plenty of farm roads , county roads to get lost on.

Hardly ever use a map, the way I see it all roads will lead somewhere, if its a dead end the i have to make a u-turn.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:47 AM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I get the same feeling a lot. I'm young and have a 4 year old at home so I can't stray to far from the house. I find myself riding the same roads and going to the same places. I think dickey nailed it with not having a destination. Not having a destination or goal to achieve gets boring.

So last time I called a friend and we sent our kids to grandmas for the day and night. We picked old highway 100 and rode it until we got far enough away that we didn't know where we were. Got so far back in the kentucky sticks that we weren't seeing another car for 30 mins at a time. Ended up somewhere in the Daniel Boone natl forest. Once we decided we needed to head for home we were almost 4 hours away lol. Came dragging in after dark with big smiles. That was a fun ride and just what I needed to cure the problem.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:52 AM
Beaux
Road Warrior
Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

I encouraged my wife to start riding (her own bike), those same old roads are new again with her in my rear view.

Quick Reply: burned out