General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor Kid Broke Down on I-65

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 08:48 PM
Galdog
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Poor Kid Broke Down on I-65

Heading back to Chicago tonight in my car, northbound lane I-65. Came up on a guy whose bike broke down. Poor kid said his bike started running hot so he shut it down a couple miles short of the Morocco exit. He went to start it and all it did was click. I traced what wiring I could for him but couldn't do much, no tools. I tried to push start him but have to admit, push starting a old Fat Boy is getting harder in my old age. While trying to push start him, a group of about 14 bikes roared by, and they didn't stop (if they had, we probably would have gotten him push started). I hope those riders never have trouble! The kids cell phone was dead so I gave him mine and he called for help. I then asked him how hot his gauge said and he said about 170????? I said man, you could have gotten to the exit and checked it at a truck stop, not on the side of one of the craziest highways around here, 170 isn't that bad! He said he's been riding about 2.5 years and this was his first break down.
I felt bad, I had to get to Chicago (had to help my son) so I couldn't stay until he got picked up. He assured me he had someone coming but once I was in my car, I called the number he had called on my phone and gave them the precise mile marker. I also called my wife back in Indy and told her to give the highway patrol a call just in case and they said they would send highway assistance by and make sure he has help.
Hope he made it home alright! Now that I'm thinking about it, I should have stayed with him but had promised my boy help when I got back to Chitown.... Damn

Old 09-21-2014, 09:00 PM
Tufel
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You done good. You stopped and assisted. Hope good karma comes your way.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:14 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I would say you did well! Sending State Police was a good idea that I would have never thought of. I65 is crazy around that area.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:15 PM
bill from tn
Road Captain
Received 267 Likes on 115 Posts

You did what you could to help him. Good for you.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:18 PM
crawrj
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you did a fine job. Hats off to you sir.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:19 PM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good job. Don't over think it. You did what you could and moved on.....

Old 09-21-2014, 10:19 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Other than calling the St. Troopers I think you did a fine job. More than likely, when and if they show up, the first or second thing they'll do is ask for his ID, license, insurance, title, etc. even though he's done not a thing wrong. If he's legal.. Ok. If not....... it's gonna be a loooooong night!

Old 09-21-2014, 10:26 PM
Galdog
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
Other than calling the St. Troopers I think you did a fine job. More than likely, when and if they show up, the first or second thing they'll do is ask for his ID, license, insurance, title, etc. even though he's done not a thing wrong. If he's legal.. Ok. If not....... it's gonna be a loooooong night!
Yea, I thought about that. Normally I wouldn't but that stretch of highway is real bad, just wanted to make sure he got help.

Last edited by Galdog; 09-21-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:32 PM
ieatchickens
Road Warrior
Received 608 Likes on 309 Posts

Well played Galdog. Good to know there are good people out there.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:34 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
Where do you live? I though NJ was bad. lol
I've never been asked for my paperwork when stopped on the shoulder. All I was ever asked was if I needed assistance.
I've been advised to find a different place to wait for my buddy due to the dangerous spot I had picked, but never been asked for paper work.

Quick Reply: Poor Kid Broke Down on I-65